It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guilty Rep. Bob Ney to Leave Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The first Congressman to fall as a result of the Abramoff Scandal, Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio pled guilty today to charges of conspiracy and making false statements to investigators. He faces up to 10 years in federal prison. Sentencing is set for January 19, 2007.

www.nctimes.com
Beleaguered GOP leaders said Ney will be expelled from the House if he doesn't quit by the time they return to Washington after the Nov. 7 elections.

Appearing before Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle on charges of conspiracy and making false statements, Ney acknowledged taking trips, tickets, meals and campaign donations from Abramoff in return for official actions on behalf of his clients.

Ney, an Ohio Republican, faces up to 10 years in prison. The Justice Department recommended 27 months behind bars. Ney's lawyers plan to recommend him for a Bureau of Prisons alcohol treatment program, which could cut dramatically the time he serves behind bars.

Huvelle set sentencing for Jan. 19.

Speaker Dennis Hastert has called on Ney to resign, as did White House spokesman Tony Snow, who said Ney's criminal activity "is not a reflection of the Republican Party."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I tell you, Congress is unraveling like a ball of yarn in the paws of a playful kitten.

It seems our federal government is about to come apart at the seams with all the revelations of lies and conspiracy and influence peddling.

If this keeps up, we will be hard pressed to present a quorum on the floor of the House.

Btw, I don't see how Mr. Ney's alcoholism, or his treatment for it, is a factor in his sentencing.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Almost all of them use that defense, and I say it doesn't fly.

It's a pathetic attempt to wriggle out of responsibility.

Did someone force the booze down their throats? No.

They bear responsibility for everything they do, the drinking, the lies, the abuses of power.

It's a sad and shameful deflection, from a sad and shameful man. Bribery is bribery. What the Hell does being an alcoholic have to do with it?

I hope the circle of shame widens and includes all the dirty birds on capitol hill. Let them all find real jobs and experience what it's like to work for a living instead of just riding the coat-tails of the peoples' trust to riches.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The link to the story has been moved, you may want to fix that. Meanwhile here is another link to CNN.

www.cnn.com...

Yes this is a shame. He is the first of many to come from dealings with Abramoff. Political parties aside, this makes America look bad. Time to clean house.

join