It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a NetTroll and what to do!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hi mates,
In the internet it is usual to see many people using the word troll a lot, but what are they? it looks that they are a especialized kind of guys that usualy bring chaos and havoc to several places.
In fact in the recent past there was some web sites closed for ever due to trolling activitie.
a Troll can work alone or within a group, and they are much more powerfull or dangerous then what people normaly can think.There are also Troll clans, and they'r only seek to infiltrate and destroy the maximum number of websites possible.
ATS is a big and important website, so i think this can be usefull to all of us.

i will putt some links explaining what a troll realy is, and techniques to deal with them.

Anti-Troll FAQ

bewere the Troll

Trolls, some exemples:

Troll's Tactics

Internet Trolls

how to handle a Troll:

As you can see some times a Troll can be something more complicated or hazardous then we think.

please share with us what opinion you have about this problem, and what can be done by normal people (in a fair and legal way) to avoid this intrusions.
as far as i can see this is a important subject. it's the kind of subject that all the people knows something about, but it is extremely rare to be debated in a serious way. I hope this lists and guides can be usefull to any one.

P.S. - I forget to give a possible exemple of a web site closed due to troll activitie:

exemple:

and to end Wikki's defenitions of some kind of Trolls:

Wkki's Troll

Cheers

[edit on 4-10-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]*Trying to correct my Zillion english errors....

[edit on 4-10-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

[edit on 4-10-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
so, nobody interested in debate the subject, what a pitty!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Internet Trolls feed off of attention.

The BEST thing you can do is to ignore them.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I don't think you can ignore all trolls on ATS. Otherwise they start and take over threads and end up driving real posters away from ATS. I think ATS does have some trolls that come here to intestinally say extreme things and attempt to disrupt threads. They also seem to work in small groups of 3 or 4 posters.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Umbra I'm about as sick of web trolls as I can possibly be! I've gone from site to site to see the same crap repeated over and over. Jerks with agendas hijacking topics and attacking others.

On a site such as ATS, though not specifically ATS, where topics of many interpretations and possible points of view exist, these crumbs play devils advocate even when they aren't asked to.

If some one sees a topic they can comment respectfully about the contents and reply that they don't agree. Fine. What we usually get is someone compelled to denounce the topic as all hoaxes or misinterpretation and anyone believing at any level of partcipitation is an idiot. Then, even if ignored, they continue to harass and degrade others' comments. If asked politely to give it a rest because like-minded folks would like to discuss the topic without arguementative intrusions they relentlessly continue ignoring the request.

The truly puzzling part is that since these trolls do not have any positive belief in esoteric topics like Atlantis, ancient astronauts, UFOs cryptozoology I can't understand why they are drawn to such sites. Their only action is to make fun of others and tell them how wrong their opinions are. I'm sure that it is some lacking in ego that compelles these freaks to fixate on a particular subject and continually flog other verbially.

It all rests with the moderators of any site. They set the tone. On ATS there are some topics designed for give and take. Even those must be participated in with manners. Many topics are such that the participants would obviously like to discuss assorted views without being slammed. They have no desire to "debate" anything only exchange theories and ideas.

My open question is why can't they simply leave people alone? If they believe in poltergeists or hauntings let people discuss it without harassment. If they in turn believe in UFOs they shouldn't expect the poltergeists peoplel to come over and make fun of them.

With topics of such open-ended limitless interpretations and possibilities there is absolutely no reason to have to deal with web trolls continually poking others with virtual sticks to prove they are right and all others are wrong.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I agree with you, but, to not debate the subject as it do not exist it's also not good at all also.

Even if nobody talks about this, "they" will remain in action. so...stay quiet it's not a good solution either.

but i do not want to start a debate about who can be a troll, or if we have too many in ATS, what i wish to bring for discussion is, what can we do to avoid such problem.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I don't think you can ignore all trolls on ATS. Otherwise they start and take over threads and end up driving real posters away from ATS. I think ATS does have some trolls that come here to intestinally say extreme things and attempt to disrupt threads. They also seem to work in small groups of 3 or 4 posters.

i agree with you. ignoring them is not a good solution as i stated before.
i think also that when they look to act in groups of 3 or 4 posters, moust of the time it is also possible to be the same person but using other aliases.

Cruizer:
yes friend i fully agree with your opinions. it is a shame that at the least ,here, we can't express our opinion in a simple way with out nasty interference. and that's exactly the problem.
Some guys say that even the mods can be working with trolls, but in ATS i don't think that can be correct! mods must worry about lots of things. they must enfforce the ATS rules to all, they must see all the time what is fair or not, they must horry also about legal procedures, and they must try to please (as we say here in Portugal) God and the Devil at the same time. and that it's not easy at all. besides that ATS have a huge amount of new topics a day. it is in fact a Herculious(Hercules) hard work to check every post all the time. I see Trolling as a new internet virus! it can be devastating, and it looks like we have no cure for it at all.but a solution must be possible...what solution how ever,,,i do not have a clue!

[edit on 7-10-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yeah guy, it is a growing problem everywhere. I must say that so far in the threads I peruse here the mods have seemed to do fine in keeping thing courteous. Perhaps part is that some members simply have better manners.

The thing you said about mods I have noted on other sites though. In on thread topic several of us made it clear we didn't wish to argue or defend ideas only discuss them with like-minded folks, the mod came in saying that we basically had to write as though it was a debate, presenting arguements and all that. As you noted there were 3-4 trolls that kept on and kept on after being asked politely and more blutly. It does no good- they simply want to argue and somehow "prove" they're right. More over even when they don't have any "right" point of view, all they desire is to prove you "wrong."

I'd like to start a thread and state ground rules like no argueing, debating or sniping just people to offer positive theories and ideas on a certain subject. Oh, yeah, that's another type of troll- the sniper. They read through posts and find some minor point and leave only terse, one sentence sarcastic replies. You can almost see the smirk on their faces by their words.

I reckon if I get assaulted by trolls here I'll contact a mod to see what happens.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I have noticed the behaviour described on the secret societies forum and the regious conspiricy forum. I didn't know that there was actually a name to the game. It is obvious that certain "groups" flock to threads that discuss their particular belief systems and squash any open discussion by the methods described in the links you provided.

In some instances you can attempt to match wits with them and try to stay focused and make them accountable for their distraction, but I found it to be a waste of time because then others will jump on board and continue with the distraction. I myself have given up and don't bother with certain discussions on ATS.

The hardcore Christians and the Masons do it alot. I do not intend to offend those of the above mentioned groups who do not adhere to these practices.

Trolls. The name says it all, doesn't it?

I've wondered about people using different identities because frequently one poster will be shown as off line and the other persona will reply a couple of times then be off line and the original will post again. This was discribed as troll behaviour. What is the motivation? I suppose it is different in each case?

[edit on 7-10-2006 by interestedalways]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

1. Do not feed them.
  2. Ignore them and hope they'll just go away.
    ^^^ though this approach rarely works
  3. As with a Neighborhood Watch program, report their activities to the appropriate authorities.
  4. Do not feed them.

I agree that certain forums on the ATS boards seem to have More than their fair share of Bridge Dwellers. The best we can do is follow that which I've outlined above, and make a concerted effort to reduce their numbers as best we can.

The downside seems to be that they apparently breed like rabbits and often times come out in droves. Sad, that.

You would think they'd have better ways to pass their time than to scour the boards looking for new grounds to tread upon.

There have to be Many spanned structures in this virtual world, the underside of which has yet to be inhabited.

$.02

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Totally agree.
Hard to go on a one way conversation...unless what one poster said at a lower thread, they log in as someone else...but then you let them carry on the conversation with themself and perhaps both of their identities will be banned.

Peace

dalen

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
First a huge thank you very much for all the members and mods that had answered to my topic. because it is in fact dificult to debate due to the singularity of the theme.

i fully agree with all of the above opinions, yes trolls are a big problem every where, and a solution must be found. in theory, if all the members in any forum join toguether in the same enffort against this menace, trolling will end slowly, but this is kind of utopic, because there are not such a thing as a "perfect" group. and trolls are part of any group...in theory!

i think that a perfect solution is not possible, but, if we all worry about this and team work with the mods, we can realy lower drastically they'r activitie.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If you have any understanding and awareness of the NWO and their nefarious schemes, then you have to realize that they are NOT going to let a site like this go un dealt with.

I would go so far as to say that some of the more abusive and persistent 'trollers' are in fact paid professionals who's specialty it is to disrupt and discredit any and all information that would give away the NWO's agendas and plans, as well as convincingly prove that the NWO is in fact behind all the crap going on in the world today, aka conspiracy 'theories' pretty much. And if they can't discredit the info, they will discredit the person providing the info. And if they can't do that, as mentioned previously, they will try to divert the thread away from the incriminating information.

I feel comfortable saying this because I have encountered this kind of attack/disrupting behavior on any alternative type website I have ever gone to that dealt with subjects that the NWO bunch don't want explored, like alternate health methodologies for example. And some of those yahoos get down right vicious!

I can usually out psych them, but it still takes up way too much of my time to do so. And probably the ones who yell the quickest when you mention how NWO trollish they are acting, are probably the ones who are. That whole 'reaction formation' thing. I love that line that they use. "Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I am a NWO TROLL!" when all along they have been dissing your information, spouting the party line and trying to make you look crazy, stupid or out of touch with their version of 'reality'. Uh huh, yah. Sure you aren't a NWO flunkie dressed up as a troll. *shakes head*

But do consider that some of these actually are NWO flunkies who would be the first to say 'oh that is so paranoid of you to think that!" *lol* Manipulator is their name and character assassination/disinformation is their game. So if everyone didn't take it personally, but understood that this was these guy's job, the trolling would be a lot less effective, I think.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by DragonriderGal]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
get his IP address and report him to your ISP.
get his IP address and run a command prompt "cmd" and type Ping ###.###.###.### -t this is a crude denial of service request utility.
it makes his computer to respond to your request with denies him that time on the net... two machines twice as much denying -- 100 or more, well good luck getting to google... they probably passed some kind of law to prevent you from doing this... I dont know... check out area for the law.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Gee, I just noticed the thread was from 06! Ok, so I wasn't here then, so I get to answer now! *lol*

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
This is corny but I cannot resist!

Got net trolls? Avoid bridges.

Seriously, they can be really annoying.

top topics

join