It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning To Trolls!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

OK. So we've got a sexy lookin' graphic here. This one's status says 'Board Trolls Observed'.

So? Do the trolls know that they are trolls?? If they've been identified, shouldn't a special 'Habitual Trollers' section be introduced to include a list of these guys? It could have something like 1st, 2nd and 3rd Warnings/cautions after which- Poof! Banned for 3 days. Or something like that?

Or shouldn't the other members know? Is this info Above Top Secret??

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
it is my fault, i will stop posting for now, mybad.
the threat level should fall after i log off!

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Although I hate trolls, and have encounter my fair share my short time here on ATS, it is my opinion there is too much animosity on the board as it is.

Let the MODS handle it in the backrooms of U2U and the trolls drift off to obscurity.

Semper

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Will the real trolls please stand up?

It's no secret who the trolls are. We all know who limps with which foot 'round here.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'd imagine the mods and owners monitor this pretty closely. Known trolls tend to get banned pretty quickly from what I have seen. I think there is a difference between a longer term member who strays off the righteous path, and brand new members who launch into troll like activity as their first posts. I think one warning and then you're gone is appropriate in these instances. If they can't be bothered reading the T&Cs of the site before getting stuck into posting, then ATS probably isn't for that person. For longer term members, I think a couple of warnings at least, with more effort into rectifying the problem, is needed. My thoughts only though!

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The only reason why it is 'elevated' is because I made an appearance back here.
Be patient, once I log off, things will get back to 'normal.'

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
The only reason why it is 'elevated' is because I made an appearance back here.
Be patient, once I log off, things will get back to 'normal.'

Hey i already said that, back off wanabee troll or ill eat you.

Lug

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Since when is there internet access under bridges?

No, seriously, trolls are the bol weevils in the warp and woof of the internet.

The burr under the saddle.

The bee in your bonnet.

The ant in your -erm- never mind.

They're just bad.

And if the threat level has been elevated, we should all take special care, hold hands in the buddy system, and not talk to strangers.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Can the mods see who just logged in? Who might be lurking without posting?

I've often wondered this.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Power to the trolls I say!

Some of the people who post here, who are not trolling, are 10 times more misguided, misinformed and generally a waste of bandwidth than the trolls anyway. Myself included probably.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
whats trolling? Just curious I've been accused of it before. Not by the moderators though. Anyone wanna fill me in. If it's in the T/C than I'll go back and re-read em. But if there's a simple definition that would be cool.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Troll - From the fishing term. As a noun, synonymous with flamebait. As a verb, to post controversial or provocative messages in a deliberate attempt to provoke flames.
Source

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Flaming? Whats that? As you can tell I'm new to this online forum stuff. Basically is it saying anything to purposly push someone's buttons, or making the debate/argument about the person and not the statement?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yes, flaming would be posting inflammatory, deliberately hostile and insulting comments designed to provoke.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The trick here is to profile the trollers ahead of time so they can be more closely monitored.

• First, the most obvious method to profile a troller is how they look. - Do they look like a troller? Do they even have an avatar? If they do, is it offensive? Now, the absence of an avatar or the presence of an offensive one doesn't necessarily mean the person is a troller, and people should not be discriminated against just because they don't have an avatar.

• Second, does their name read like a troller name? - One can usually tell by the names if a user is going to be trouble. Typically they will have a name involving profanity, sex, or violence.

• Third, how is their grammar and punctuation? - Anyone can excuse a mispelled word here and there, but ARE THEY TYPING IN ALL CAPS or with a total lack of punctuation altogether

• Fourth, what are they saying?- If they appear to pass muster on the three previous requirements, examine the content of what they say. Are they throwing out insults to users or the site itself? If they do, is it a common habit?

By using these time-tested methods to examine and monitor potential trollers more carefully, we can be safer from threadjacking and trolling in the future.

(/irony)

[edit on 9/28/2006 by thelibra]

• posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:16 PM
    link   
    And when you really need to "throttle" one, bring out the Troll-Master D Series Pro II Digital Throttle Control

Or not.

Just don't be lured into a confrontation with these crafty rascals.

Lug

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:47 PM
    link   

Originally posted by yeahright
    And when you really need to "throttle" one, bring out the Troll-Master D Series Pro II Digital Throttle Control

But, if your electronic control runs out of juice, you can always swing the cannonballs much as they did in the middle ages.

I always keep a couple handy while trolling for deep lunkers.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:47 PM
    link   
    Am I a troll? I don't really know? I sometimes make condecending comments to selfrightious people who really are asking for it or are just being rediculus. And yes I realise my spelling stinks, but we all have our faults.

Alot of the time I'm trying to help these people by offering absurd counter arguments to point out the absurdaties in theirs, or to demonstrate how a lot of things are subjective and not necisarilly of their perspective. Is that trolling? I think I'm walking a fine line when I do this but not being malicious. Need advice about whether I'm crossing the line or not.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:04 PM
    link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
    Am I a troll? I don't really know? I sometimes make condecending comments to selfrightious people who really are asking for it or are just being rediculus. And yes I realise my spelling stinks, but we all have our faults.

Hmmm... I dunno if you're a troll, but you just made the watch list. Let's see, no avi, name in all caps, and...

...just kidding man.

No, you're not a troll. A troll wouldn't ask if they were a troll. They'd just troll. You are ABSOLUTELY encouraged to have a different view than other people, and are always more than welcome to disagree, and as long as things are never taken to a personal level, you should make lots of friends here. Welcome to ATS, m8.

I, however, am definitely a troll...

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:14 PM
    link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
    Do the trolls know that they are trolls??

No. You can tell them and tell them ... but they don't.

Happy troll hunting -
    www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join