It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does "God" have free will?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Consider this:
If you knew everything that was going to happen for, let's say, 5 years, how would your mind deal with it? Well, it would be as if your body was living 5 years in the past, watching events unfold and having no ability to control it. For that span of time, you would seem to have no free will, as your body would be mearly "catching up" to your awareness. If you knew all events for 20 years? 50? 100? Now consider an all knowing God. Knows the entire future of the universe. How long would it take for such a being to "catch up?" Does this mean that an omniscient being has no free will?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Jesus lives out side that he does not know what the father knows but at the same time is an individual. Remember what he says in the Bible only the father knows.
So in away his is living both the realities, God the father creates, the spirit is his body or omnipresence and Jesus the individual known as the son. Kind of 3 circles in one.

Also God created this linear time frame for us Humans to have a unique experience outside timeless eternity so we could not have all this time space knowledge but live the now a new concept if you think about it if eternity has not time.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by The time lord]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If eternity is not all-time, but not-of-time, does the concept of free will still apply? Does the idea of action even apply?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missletow
Consider this:
If you knew everything that was going to happen for, let's say, 5 years, how would your mind deal with it?

Perhaps it is only in our conscious mind that we remember the past, but not the future.

If people can not recall from memory the future, then words like "prophet, seer, mystic, and the like) should be taken out of our dictionaries.

I think it is only in our conscious minds that we can not recall the future.

I think our understanding of time and matter leaves much to be desired.

As for the question you present in this thread,

Yes, god has free will and exercises that right as well.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I believe that God created the M-Verse (all possible types of universes, and all possible time-lines within those universes). Then God broke himself up into the spirit, and now lives every single life everywhere, in every time, in every possible time.

He knows everything that will happen, and which has happened, but takes on these lives so that he can experience it, to understand it.

So, God may know every possible thing that could be in store for you, but it is still your choice which path you take. God wants to understand why you took that path. In another universe, you took a different path, and God wants to understand that too.

So, God may know everything, but may not understand it. And this M-Verse has infinite possibilities, so there is much to understand and experience... and God will never grow bored.

In this way, you are God, but so is everyone else. Treat them kindly.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
I believe that God created the M-Verse (all possible types of universes, and all possible time-lines within those universes). Then God broke himself up into the spirit, and now lives every single life everywhere, in every time, in every possible time.

He knows everything that will happen, and which has happened, but takes on these lives so that he can experience it, to understand it.

So, God may know every possible thing that could be in store for you, but it is still your choice which path you take. God wants to understand why you took that path. In another universe, you took a different path, and God wants to understand that too.

So, God may know everything, but may not understand it. And this M-Verse has infinite possibilities, so there is much to understand and experience... and God will never grow bored.

In this way, you are God, but so is everyone else. Treat them kindly.

Yarium, you hit the nail right on the head. I have this same exact theory based off of personal experiences.

my thought is that we will be every single living thing in every time period that has ever existed in this or any universe.

god has nothing but infinity. why not experience mortal life, one person, or animal at a time? death is a human fear, not a divine fear, for god knows that death is life, and a new beginning to another life.

for me right now, i am god living as me...but someday i will be god living as you, and everyone in history and in the future.

it's kind of a scary thought when you think of all the worlds atrocities, but i think Yarium is right in the sense that god needs to understand why people kill, rape, torture, hurt, and destroy other people. just because it's bad doesn't mean it's not possible. the universe is filled with endless possibilities...the bad parts of life are just one of them.

anyway, i'm curious as to what other people think.

[edit on 14-9-2006 by psilogod]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
to answer the original posters question though on whether or not god has free will, i would say no, not really.

why? i think it's because since the universe is playing itself out though eternal time all possibilities will be fulfilled which means you really have no choice in what you do.

i don't know if it's predeterminism per se, but it is how the universe was meant to happen...(i.e. if you kill someone, that was the mathematical formula the universe played out unbeknownst to the killer, whether or not that person wanted to kill or not).

free will is a trick of the universe (god) to make you feel like you are not completely a slave to time, but we really are. ALL POSSIBILITIES WILL BE FULFILLED, because it is possible. inevitably, you through one person/animal at a time will experience everything there is to possibly experience through eternity.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Free will doesn't exist at all. It's an illusion. God is the same. He always has to do the most logical action.

Free will is logic slowed down.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Does "God" have free will?

yes. god the alpha can choose to listen to god the omega, and god the omega can choose to listen to god the alpha.

somewhere in the middle is the kingdom of heaven, and it is being played out here on earth.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
But Omega and Alpha will be bound by logic as to all they do.

Hence no free will.

top topics

join