It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men are smarter than women, study says..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   
It seems a recent study has proven what we've all known anyway..

One such study showed that men have larger brains than women, a 100 gram difference after correcting for body size. To determine if there was a link between gender and intelligence, and perhaps between brain size and intelligence, Rushton and a colleague analyzed the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores from 100,000 17- and 18-year-olds.

Source

Now time to show this to my girlfriend...Wish me luck!

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kojac

Don't trip over yourself getting to her.

Let's see, the word "controversial" appears in the first sentence of the article. I wouldn't venture proof on this guy's stuff.

So, he measures brain size (they might have proven you boys have bigger brains) and then correlates it to SAT scores? Flawed! This study will of course be ripped to shreds.

If anything I think his theory probably proves you guys don't live up to your potential. Women are obviously doing more with less.

When you recover from sharing this with your girlfriend let us know you are okay.

[edit on 9/11/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kojac

One such study showed that men have larger brains than women, a 100 gram difference after correcting for body size. To determine if there was a link between gender and intelligence, and perhaps between brain size and intelligence, Rushton and a colleague analyzed the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores from 100,000 17- and 18-year-olds.

Source

Hey Kojac!

Ok, so men's 'heads' are bigger!
But women already knew this!

Interesting thing the G Factor....

The g-factor works like this. "If I tell you the last four digits of my telephone number and ask you to repeat them back to me, that's a low g-loaded memory test," Rushton explained. "But if I then ask you to repeat them back to me in the reverse order, that suddenly requires a tremendous amount more cognitive processing.

That must explain also explain why Men take their ''time'' in recalling Numbers in their head.

This study was based on 17-18 yr olds and that leaves much to what can be expected.
Although the study proved knowledge is faster received by the male brain,
eg/
quote///males surpassed females by an average of 3.6 IQ points.

The study concluded above is left with this....

Rushton has left the door open for opposing views and findings that might contradict his new study.

Women on average live longer then men......so women are the winners.

Well,
This may be a bit tricky,
hmmmmm,
maybe men will get to heaven first........but women are left to pick up the peices!
So then God gives women the better seat!

sorry for 'off topic'

helen

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
well, let's see.....

I can bag up the trash and get it to the trash can all by myself, my husband will always be asking me for help....
I can change a light bulb all by myself.....my husband........
litter box....same thing...
coffee?? I can make his coffee all by myself, and he seems not be able to get up without it, but, if I'm not available to make.....lol...it doesn't get made, although he suddenly has the capacity to get up without it...

ya, men are smarter than women!!! they're smart enough to know enough to play dumb so they can get out of doing all those things they don't want to do!!

of course, the same can be said of women, can't it??

big brains, little brains, doesn't matter unless you're using it to begin with.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
"Me old wie dae" remembers, and loves telling, the story he watched on 60 seconds as a teen. The study was to see if brainsize correlates to braininess. They had several geniuses on who had 70% brain damage. That's right, 70% of their brain doesn't work. It didn't matter what brainsize they packed because it wasn't used. To make matters even worse, men may have a huge brain, but it's probably because when they think, they only use a tiny section of their brain to do all the necessary computing. The same thinking done in a woman is done all over the brain with a lower chemical/eletrical impulse. If a guy's brain was any smaller, he'd fry the diffrent sections in his brain.

Besides, if a man didn't have such a huge braincase, he'd have no place to store his ego but his butt, and that's where he stores his arrogance and mule headed stubborness.

Or is it because you need such a big computer to override the smaller, secondary head?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This study wasn't conducted by .. oh I don't know .. MEN ... by any chance was it??

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Well, generally speaking Women are not as adept at Abstract thought as Men are, but that is just Abstract thought. Women are far superior to us Men when it comes to Multi-Tasking. I was watching this Chick Gamer on Youtube the other day playing C&C Generals and you could tell she was multi-tasking like a mutha... I was extremely impressed to say the least(it's one thing to know it, it's a whole other thing to see it in action). It makes one wonder why more women don't become fighter pilots...

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Uh the stories from Pravda.

Thats the Weekly World News, from Russia.

Fake.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

show this thread to ATSer valhall...

then we shall see

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It is common knowledge with news geeks that Pravda is full of it. They'll print most anything, no matter how farfetched. Kojac, if men are smarter than women, then they would know not to believe Pravda's pseudo-science.

An important question here might be: For the men who believe this Pravda article, why are you so quick to believe a stupid story from a Russian tabloid? Do you also believe in the Bat Boy and read Weekly World News, believing all their stories? Like the one about Hillary having sex with aliens and Bill saying "I thought she was a lesbian"?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This isn't anything new. Research that will corraborate this study can be found in the Journal of Psychology.

If you're going to attack Pravda's credibility, here's another article from BCC that says pretty much the same thing, although the study was conducted by academics in the UK.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 9/11/2006 by The Crow]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Ummm,first, let me start out by stating that I am a male. Secondly, let me just say that I think this survey or whatever it was is total garbage. All one has to do is look at a high school's A and B honor roll to know that females, at least academically, tend to be much smarter than males. The ratio is something like 3:1 or possibly 4:1 in favor of females. I mean, come on,guys...deep down you know it...women are smarter. P.S: They have proven over and over and over again that brain size has no relevance on intelligence.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670

Women on average live longer then men......so women are the winners.

Well,
This may be a bit tricky,
hmmmmm,
maybe men will get to heaven first........but women are left to pick up the peices!
So then God gives women the better seat!

sorry for 'off topic'

helen
Hahaha, I think most men want to die right after they get married.

But seriously, yeah women live on average like what, 5 years longer? Not a big deal. I'd trade those 5 years over women's issues (monthly menstration, PMS, etc.) any day.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Ummm,first, let me start out by stating that I am a male. Secondly, let me just say that I think this survey or whatever it was is total garbage. All one has to do is look at a high school's A and B honor roll to know that females, at least academically, tend to be much smarter than males. The ratio is something like 3:1 or possibly 4:1 in favor of females. I mean, come on,guys...deep down you know it...women are smarter. P.S: They have proven over and over and over again that brain size has no relevance on intelligence.

You're going to attack this study and then use the high school honor roll to support your view? Nice.

I don't know if realize that studies have proven time and time again that academia tends to favor women much more than men these days. That's why so many boys are failing out of shcool, they don't receive as much help as girls do. There was an interesting article about this in Newsweek recently. Feminism is partly the problem.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I honestly refuse to listen to something that trys to be discreetly sexist.

That being said, they have an article on LiveScience.com, and they do say that it's hardly conclusive.

[edit on 9/11/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I honestly refuse to listen to something that trys to be discreetly sexist.

That ebing said, they have an article on LiveScience.com, and they do say that it's hardly conclusive.
I didn't see anything sexist about the study, considering there have been numerous other studies that would support this claim. Unless being politically incorrect translates into discreet sexism these days...

Honestly, there was another study that recently appeared saying that men support war while most women do not. Was that sexism too, or simply the truth?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Is this a new study? because it was another one done no a long time ago that was with the same topic.

Trying to show why women can no compete with men.

Is all about the opinions and work of one particular person or group with an already chosen point.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Crow
You're going to attack this study and then use the high school honor roll to support your view? Nice.

I don't know if realize that studies have proven time and time again that academia tends to favor women much more than men these days. That's why so many boys are failing out of shcool, they don't receive as much help as girls do. There was an interesting article about this in Newsweek recently. Feminism is partly the problem.

Ummmm, well, the first thing that tells me that it's a distortion, at the very least, is because it tries to link brain size with intelligence. There is no indication, none, that brain size has anything at all to do with intelligence. Secondly, I graduated high school in 1997...I don't remember females getting a "preferred" status treatment in my school. Yet, month in and month out they creamed us males as far as academics were concerned. Now, I'm sure every school is different...but every town I have been to, when one looks at the local A-B honor roll listings, females generally outnumber males.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Uh the stories from Pravda.

Thats the Weekly World News, from Russia.

Fake.

While I totally disagree with Rushton and think his theory is full of crap, the guy is real and he really does believe this theory. I saw him in my local mainstream newspaper about a week ago, with a similar story. WWN and Pravda usually get things wrong, but this time they got lucky.

The theory's still crap, though, imo.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Really?

My husband thinks he's pretty smart too. Too bad he cant cook a meal, he cant wash dishes, he cant take the garbage out, he doesnt know how to go food shopping, or how to wash and dry clothes either.

In other words, Mr Dgtempe is a nobody without me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join