It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Research Project: Nanotechnology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Congratulations to Toltec for the Lead Scholar assignment.

I've been exploring a host of topics for a possible project.

I�ve systematically reduced the list to nanotechnology using the following criteria:

1. ATS topicality
2. Breadth of research available
3. Potential impact on humanity
4. Personal knowledge

The implications of nanotechnology are far-reaching and the advancements seem to be
quickening. Some applications are frightening while other potential
applications will have positive effects on humanity and other technologies.

Nanotechnology has been discussed at ATS, but I would like to see a comprehensive research project that covers the benefits and pitfalls, the current status of research and potential applications. This project would also serve as a primer for future advancements in the field.

After several discussions, Toltec has tentatively approved this project, granted there is sufficient interest in the topic.

Is there any interest in this topic?

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'd be bloody interested, except at the moment I have some kind of obsession with making tiny robots to enter the bloodstream of my fellow humans and check out their bloodwork and organ functions, so I guess nanotechnology might be out for me for now.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Best of luck with that MA. Won't you give us a status report along the way?

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   
What about smart dust?

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   
websuspect,

I'm not familiar with the concept of smart dust..could you enlighten us with a brief description?

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
Best of luck with that MA. Won't you give us a status report along the way?

OK, OK.

I was citing an interesting example of nanotechnology. I knew it. kukla knew it. To those who didn't know it, my apologies for posting my encouragement to kukla during my 5 minutes of listening to a particular song by Alanis Morissette that never addressed its subject matter all that well.

Like rain on your wedding day.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Congratulations to Toltec for the Lead Scholar assignment.

I've been exploring a host of topics for a possible project.

I�ve systematically reduced the list to nanotechnology using the following criteria:

1. ATS topicality
2. Breadth of research available
3. Potential impact on humanity
4. Personal knowledge

The implications of nanotechnology are far-reaching and the advancements seem to be
quickening. Some applications are frightening while other potential
applications will have positive effects on humanity and other technologies.

Nanotechnology has been discussed at ATS, but I would like to see a comprehensive research project that covers the benefits and pitfalls, the current status of research and potential applications. This project would also serve as a primer for future advancements in the field.

After several discussions, Toltec has tentatively approved this project, granted there is sufficient interest in the topic.

Is there any interest in this topic?

excellent idea
i would be interested in help out. Could be very successful

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Not to digress too far, but Jagged Little Pill is a personal favorite.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is not chit chat folks. Keep Alanis and other trash on the other side of the door.

Okay. I'd be happy to work nanontech. I know that there is a reasearch firm trying to make RFID injectables and I can find a whole lotta information .... or I can do intelligent write up of data gathered by users. But I can't do both. So, Kukla, use me baby

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Glad to hear it folks.

One disclaimer...this project will not begin in earnest until Janruary. I'll be posting a rough outline for discussion, but the serious research won't begin until 2004.

I'd say Alanis is highly topical, as MA has eloquently highlighted. Nanotech is already affecting our culture.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
kukla

Your timeframe suits me, and I am genuinely interested.

You oughta know.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
MA,

Glad to hear it.

The conclusion of 2003 will be a little frantic for myself.
I'd like to think we can at least have a working outline by new years.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   

websuspect,

I'm not familiar with the concept of smart dust..could you enlighten us with a brief description?

Well smart dust sort of started out as something akin to magic pixie dust or radioactive trace dust. You sprinkle it on someone and you can track them.

But as technology and expectations progress. Its thought that smart dust could collect information and send it back to a centralized source. The smart dust could network, like radio repeaters and take information. Than send the information off as data. The smart dust could gather information, such as heat, movement, GPS and maybie even audio or radio.

www.cs.berkeley.edu...

new topics

top topics

join