It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hindu Ganesha Statues Drinking Milk Again

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I saw a show that explained how this was done.
The statue used is smooth from the mouth going under the chin. The spoon is set up against that smooth surface until it breaks the surface tension of the fluid in the spoon, Once that happens the liquid flows down the smooth surface of the statue and is absorbed by whatever cloth or alter cover they have it sitting on. Its similar to the way that you pour mixtures down the stirring rod in chemistry so you don’t drip by accident.

[edit on 11/25/2006 by defcon5]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Here is the experiment i was talking about:

Laskar, a student of physics, explained the phenomenon as being a combination of surface tension, capillary action and syphoning. It can be easily replicated, he said, with clay or stone images or even plastic and metal jugs with a snout.

When the surface of the liquid touches the protruding tip of any surface, capillary action lifts the liquid, with the surface of the idol or any other object acting as the larger end of syphon. The surface tension allows the liquid to flow freely in a particular direction. This explanation was confirmed by the various scientists we spoke to.

In fact, two teams of scientists visited various temples in New Delhi and found no evidence to support the widespread belief about some idols sudden love for milk.

"It is a hoax," said Biman Basu, a scientist at the Publication and Information Directorate of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). Mr Basu and a team from the laboratory visited three temples in central Delhi.

"When the spoonful of milk is offered horizontally, nothing happens," Mr Basu said. "Only when the spoon is tilted does it empty."'

On the other hand, stone idols were not found to drink milk. In the case of clay idols, milk is either soaked up by the porous material or it flows into the hollow inner surface.

It was also noticed that the idols did not retain the milk they were supposed to have drunk. Behind some of the temples, our photographers took pictures of buckets being filled by the milk flowing imperceptibly down the idols and emptying out through channels travelling to the backyards.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
I saw a show that explained how this was done.
The statue used is smooth from the mouth going under the chin. The spoon is set up against that smooth surface until it breaks the surface tension of the fluid in the spoon, Once that happens the liquid flows down the smooth surface of the statue and is absorbed by whatever cloth or alter cover they have it sitting on. Its similar to the way that you pour mixtures down the stirring rod in chemistry so you don’t drip by accident.

[edit on 11/25/2006 by defcon5]

However, it was reported that once other devotees learned of this, they tried it on their home murtis. Certainly these statues were not all alike!!

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I found a video for you guys... NOT MINES!!!!! I haven't tried it yet.

www.milkmiracle.com...

Wow! This is a fascinating video! If you've got eyes to see, you can SEE those statues 'drinking' the milk - and very fast at that; much too fast to say that those statues merely 'absorbing' the liquid. And why just milk? Why not water or wine or Pepsi etc..... they ONLY DRINK MILK!! Something very 'paranormal' is going on here that defies all logic! Thanks for sharing!

[edit on 25-11-2006 by Palasheea]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
hahah give them some beer. i honestly would do that.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
hahah give them some beer. i honestly would do that.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ok, I'm going to watch the whole thing, but...

At 26 seconds, look under Ganesh, the milk is spilling out the bottom, clear as day.

I don't know, that kind of messed up me believing this particular instance. Not saying it can't happen, but just doesn't look like it from this one.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Now many of you might think of this as impossible,

Of course its immpossible. Statue's are rocks that are carved or molded into a shape. Rocks don' thave mouths, stomachs, etc. THey do no drink anything. Rocks can absorb material of course, but they don't drink anything. Making a rock into the shape of an elephant-god isn't going to make it drink anymore than carving a rock into a pregnant jewish virgin is going to make it cry.

I find it fascinating that this phenomenon when in occurred in 1995 didn't only happen in India, but was witnessed by Hindus all around the world

People see what they want to see. And its especially telling that it spreads like a 'fad'. There's a report of a drinking statue, and as word of it spreads, people in local areas say 'our statues are drinking too'. Same with catholics and crying mary statues, or stigmata for that matter.

wait, I do have a sandalwood Ganesha too, when I do this, I'll try it with that one too.

It'd be great to see the results, either way.

skyway
material of which the statues are made then all figurines made of material such as clay should also absorb milk.

The mere fact that there are some clay statues that don't suck up spoonfuls of water hardly means that some elephant-god is real and is inhabiting a molded peice of clay, AND is thirsty.

palasheea
Something very 'paranormal' is going on here that defies all logic!

You're right, it certainly defies logic to say that an elephant-god is drinking spoons of milk.

The milkmiracle.com site says it all "For those who believe, an explanation
is unnecessary." People that already accept that this will happen because of their god will not even bother to consider any kind of other explanation.

Notice also in the video that the first man speaking notes that he's heard about this 'exciting' phenomenon in other parts of the world, and lo and behold, its in his town as well.

You can see the milk running down the statues in that video. Apparently the overly faithful won't even allow the obvious explanation of their eyes be seen as necessary. Notice also that the video is overlaid with text that obscures the milk dripping off the statues. If the makers of the video were really concerned with finding out if this was a real phenomenon, they certainly wouldn't obscure those areas, they're probably in on the fraud.

And here's the absurd part, people in the video say 'this proves there is god'. What does the fact that the statues aren't drinking milk, and that its just dribbling down them, prove? Does it prove that there is no god? Certainly not, statues that don't drink doesn't prove there is no god. But then why even think for a second that statues that do drink prove that there is a god?

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I don't understand these borderline racist comments here. People in india beleive that statues drink milk, that doesn't mean that everyone in india beleive it or that indians are especially gullible. Practically everyday on tv in the US you have some fraud preacher making the same miraculous claims and getting the support of lots of people. Heck, they even sell small bottles of water at high prices, claiming that its 'miracle holy water'. Thats not any more silly than thinking that brackish water is miraculously made less brackish, or any of this other bunkum.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Almost a decade ago, Hindus all over the world were amazed as spoonfuls of milk offered to statues and figurines of the Hindu god Ganesha dissappeared as if the statue actually drank the milk.

Now it seems the amazing phenomenon is happening across India again.

YES! True true true

A sign and wonder
Confirmation that Hindu worships the SAME LIVING GOD as all true worshippers do!

WONDEFRUL!

God Bless YOU, WW!

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
NOT impossible!

With God ALL things are possible...

ALL THINGS.

He will show you signs and wonders until you realize it! NO pressure!

Whatever you want to do you can do - believe or not....you won't be able to deny after a certain point..

took me at least 7 years!

And I am a devout fanatic for God and God alone!

But we have no deadlines anymore...just time....and soon it will be peaceful time.

Mark my words!

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Got Milk?

Well, I watched the Milk Miracle video, and yeah, the milk can plainly be seen running down most of the statues and pooling beneath them.

For some reason, it was much harder to see on the white statues.

May Ganesha have mercy on my soul, but I'm going to have to call mass hysteria on this one.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
-- Dr. Peter Venkman, Ph.D., Parapsychologist, Psychologist, Ghostbuster

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
NOT impossible!

With God ALL things are possible...

And yet, we can see that, perhaps not surprisingly, these statues aren't drinking, the milk is dribbling down them.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
You can be the sad cynic all you want, but I played the high definition version on my large monitor screen and the only murti that did not take the milk was the first one (Radha I think, it kind of went quickly). The ones that CLEARLY and UNQUESTIONABLY show milk is being consumed are the Ganesh murti where the spoon is leveled up towards Ganesh's tusk. The spoon remains LEVEL and yet, the milk disappears. The other is of Nandi, Shiva's bull. The spoon is also level and yet the milk disappears from the spoon.

I also strongly believe that if God wanted to show Her/His/Its presence, it would be through tolerant and humble Hinduism and not through the turbulent, power hungry Abrahamic religions.

Just my 2 cents, of course

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The Milky Way

Originally posted by Jade Bridge
You can be the sad cynic all you want, but I played the high definition version on my large monitor screen and the only murti that did not take the milk was the first one (Radha I think, it kind of went quickly).

Well, for my part, I'm actually a skeptic, not a cynic. There IS a difference.

And for the record, I'm certainly not sad, but having a grand old time.

The flow of the milk down the statues isn't always in a stream. Often it's more like a sheet of milk flowing, not unlike the way water can wash down a street during a rain.

On the white statues, this sheet can seem invisible, but the ultimate proof is all the milk puddling up at the base of the statues (or absorbed by towels or cloths placed there).

In other words, the milk is not being consumed. It's not disappearing or being digested.

It's just running down the statues, sometimes more obviously than others.

No cynicism required.

It Does A Body Good

I also strongly believe that if God wanted to show Her/His/Its presence, it would be through tolerant and humble Hinduism and not through the turbulent, power hungry Abrahamic religions.

Perhaps through the tender embrace of Kali?

Lest I be misunderstood, my skepticism regarding the "Milk Miracle" is certainly not an indictment of Hinduism, just mass hysteria -- and in this case not even an indictment of that, since it seems like everyone's having a good time with it (if somewhat wasteful of milk).

Whatever floats your boat.

Indeed, my own meditations (without any injection of or predisposition toward Hindu teachings at all) have found me drifting far more toward a Hindu view of things than I would ever have expected.

I certainly do feel a strong connection to all things in my meditations, a close kinship with them, an awareness that we are all part of a whole, and sense that we are all involved in a long process of spiritual evolution which manifests itself in myriads of forms.

But that doesn't mean I believe these statues are drinking milk. :shk:

Is what I'm sayin'.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

You can be the sad cynic all you want, but I played the high definition version on my large monitor screen and the only murti that did not take the milk was the first one

I watched it too, and you can clearly see that the milk is running down these statues and pooling beneath them. You don't need to be a cynic to see.

spoon is also level and yet the milk disappears from the spoon.

It doesn't matter if its level, it can still dribble out when its in contact with the statue.

And he'd accomplish this by having statues drink milk????

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
The Milky Way

It's just running down the statues, sometimes more obviously than others.

No cynicism required.

PLEASE explain how something level can "run down".

Perhaps through the tender embrace of Kali?

Um...Kali, just as Durga Ma, are the active manifestations of Parvati who destroy the evils of the world. Kali is actually a very tender diety to Her devotees, so
right back at ya!!

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Easing The Tension

I'll defer to a better source than me for that: Wikipedia: Surface tension

No point in reinventing the wheel, and the effect can be demonstrated at home if you want to give it a go.

If you prefer to believe that a known, well-defined physical effect doesn't explain this phenomenon, that's fine. I really don't have a problem with that, even though I'm pretty sure what's happening here doesn't break any laws of physics.

Personally, I believe that miracles can happen, and offer the fact that anything exists at all as proof.

The very fact that we exist is a miracle.

Perhaps more to the point, however, if you or anyone else wishes to see this as a miracle, and it makes you happier, more positive about life or benefits you in any way, then maybe that's enough of a miracle in itself.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
If you had a penny for everytime humanity has created dogma to explain what their current spiritual and scientific technology can't support you'd be a multi-millionaire by yesterday.

People are so stupid. You know what's even worse? Somebody is going to be calling us stupid in a few hundred years for something we do that seems rational.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Its a helluva lot more likely than a elephant headed god using his magic powers to make a statue of him drink milk. All you have to do is have some surface tension when the spoon of milk is placed at the statue, draw it onto it, and then run down it. And this is pointless anyway, because we can see the milk running down the statue, and pooling beneath it, while the people 'ooh' and 'aahh'.

Kali is actually a very tender diety to Her devotees

And so is the god of abraham, everyone else, well they just get killed.
Lets face it, the hindu religion has more than its share of blood on its hands, just like every other religion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join