It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change alert reported

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This is the first time the RSOE global disaster and emergency database has recorded this information this year so i found it a bit startling. i had heard that the glacier around greenland was melting (saw the al gore video...dont totally agree with it by the way) but ive heard people discussing it. well, now here is some current data from the RSOE global disaster and emergency database, and for some reason they felt the need to make an alert about it today (august 12th 2006). this is at a level 4 out of 5 damage level currently according to the RSOE.

here is the article they have that is underneath their picture:::::
The meltdown of Greenland's ice sheet is speeding up, satellite measurements show. Data from a US space agency (Nasa) satellite show that the melting rate has accelerated since 2004. If the ice cap were to completely disappear, global sea levels would rise by 6.5m (21 feet). Most of the ice is being lost from eastern Greenland, a US team writes in Science journal. Jianli Chen of the University of Texas at Austin and colleagues studied monthly changes in the Earth's gravity between April 2002 and November 2005. These measurements came from the US space agency's Grace (Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment) satellite, launched in 2002. From these data, they were able to estimate changes in the mass of Greenland's ice sheet. A number of factors contribute to fluctuations in the Earth's gravity field.

But once the influence of the atmosphere and the oceans is removed, the variations mostly reflect changes in the mass of ice sheets and of water stored in the ground. Estimated monthly changes in the mass of Greenland's ice sheet suggest it is melting at a rate of about 239 cubic kilometres (57.3 cubic miles) per year. This figure is about three times higher than an earlier estimate of the mass loss from Greenland made using the first two years of Grace measurements. Dr Chen and colleagues partly attribute this to increased melting in the past one-and-a-half years and partly to better processing of the data. "Acceleration of mass loss over Greenland, if confirmed, would be consistent with proposed increased global warming in recent years," the authors wrote in Science. This would amount to a contribution to global sea level rise from Greenland of about half a millimetre (0.02 inches) each year. The group's findings agree remarkably well with a study released earlier this year that used data from other satellites to estimate mass changes in the Greenland ice. Grace also appears to have detected a loss of ice from Arctic glaciers that were omitted from this study and are separate from the main Greenland ice sheet.

here is the link with a photo and more information:
RSOE: Global Disaster and emergency database: CLIMATE CHANGE ALERT

so what do you all think about this?

Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
If its true that a global warming will cause a mini ice age, then i guess its time to invest in some solar/wind powered electricity to keep warm. Either that or I will move to ecuador

What I am worried about is mass extinctions from acid level rise in the ocean. If that food chain goes then everything else will follow in suit.

In reality, the next thing we have to worry about is feeding ourselves, not extreme heat or cold, us humans can survive in extreme conditions using our noodles. As far as being underwater, I think that it will happen gradually so people will have time to adjust.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
so what do you all think about this?

The newest info on this is indeed alarming-- even if not attributed to global warming.

Good catch!

See also Greenland ice cap may be melting at triple speed

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The only thing people have to worry about is if glaciers get to Texas. If that happens, we will be in an everlasting Ice Age that only volcanos can get us out of. Plus we will be dead along with everyother creature on this Snowball Planet. I saw something about it on the Science Channel. It made me get a heavy blanket from my closet. Brrrrr

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The Earth takes care of herself. We are the virus that infects her and we will be her demise. Unfrotnately, we re not going to cure her by being here. "Guess we're going to have to go??

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The only way that the water will rise is if the input of water into the ocean from other points remains the same...and evaporation doesn't take care of the rest. ( I wonder how much water is in the air when it's hotter?) The hotter it gets, the less snow falls, and the less rivers don't overrun their banks. (Sometimes a thinner ice sheet means there wa sless precipitation that year.)

Until they actually measure the sea level and find it higher where I live, I'm not going to panic. Between the sea rising and my home supposedly sinking a foot a year (bogus scientific info, I tell you, since my elevation has remained the same my entire life), I should be up S*** creek witout a paddle.

And by the way, I live in an area where we have 2 crop seasons. Maybe one day, they'll have the same in the north.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The history channel had a killer show on mayan predictions on last weekend. Specifically at the end Chalum Balum(sp?) predictions. Im not too big on them but the depiction of the katun for 12-21-2012 was a snake, some holy men and people pouring water on gaia. As in mass flooding maybe? Might be relevant, now 6 yrs of melting at that speed could raise the water levels of the earth to where Alot of land mass would be covered i assume. Anyone here know exactly how much existing land mass would be covered with mass melting off the ice caps?

Just thought id throw that in cuz the melting caps and seeing that depiction made a ding go off in my head.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163
The only way that the water will rise is if the input of water into the ocean from other points remains the same...and evaporation doesn't take care of the rest. ( I wonder how much water is in the air when it's hotter?) The hotter it gets, the less snow falls, and the less rivers don't overrun their banks. (Sometimes a thinner ice sheet means there wa sless precipitation that year.)

Until they actually measure the sea level and find it higher where I live, I'm not going to panic. Between the sea rising and my home supposedly sinking a foot a year (bogus scientific info, I tell you, since my elevation has remained the same my entire life), I should be up S*** creek witout a paddle.

And by the way, I live in an area where we have 2 crop seasons. Maybe one day, they'll have the same in the north.

Listen, "If you think you have come up with this conclusively, "Guess again". it is because of population and use of other alternative fuels. We are the "EARTHS" crutch. there is nothing else to blaime , not logically anyway, but ourselves.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
The history channel had a killer show on mayan predictions on last weekend. Specifically at the end Chalum Balum(sp?) predictions. Im not too big on them but the depiction of the katun for 12-21-2012 was a snake, some holy men and people pouring water on gaia. As in mass flooding maybe? Might be relevant, now 6 yrs of melting at that speed could raise the water levels of the earth to where Alot of land mass would be covered i assume. Anyone here know exactly how much existing land mass would be covered with mass melting off the ice caps?

Just thought id throw that in cuz the melting caps and seeing that depiction made a ding go off in my head.

That sounds really cool too bad I missed it. Hopefully they run it again. I wonder what other ancient civilizations mentioned about climate change in their prophecies.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
is there a group here to meet at chat??

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
You can find that on BTS. This post is open to whoever wants to talk about the climate change.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I do not mind the heat. I prefer a nice long hot summer to a dark chilling winter. Global warming just means people in New England can no longer wear their sweaters during the summer. :boo hoo:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
you guys all have some good input. thanks for participating in my thread

kind regards,
digitalgrl

new topics

top topics

join