It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castro temporarily hands power over to brother Raul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Fidel Castro, the 80 year old leader of Cuba, has temporarily handed power over to his younger brother Raul, in anticipation of his operation for and recuperation from intestinal bleeding. The bleeding was thought to be a result of stress brought on by a recent travel schedule. The surgery was anticipated to happen on Monday.

This is the first time that Fidel Castro has relinquished the reins of power since the revolution that brought him to power 48 years ago.

Raul is 75 years old, and the incident revived the discussion of who will ultimately take control of the island after the two brothers die. Leading contenders are Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque, who is in his 40s and is among the most hard-line of the younger members of the leadership, and Vice President Carlos Lage Davila, in his early 50s. Whomever the person, it seems a given that Castro's successor will remain Communist.

Reaction from Washington was reserved. But in the Little Havana section of Miami, a bastion of anti-Castro sentiment, people were less restrained, and celebrated in the streets, caling for his death.

With the passing of Fidel Castro, there remains the hope for renewed relations with the island and it's people. What ultimately happens remains to be seen.

Castro

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I was going to post on this, but I think you might have beaten me to the punch.

It is indeed interesting that not once has he handed over power since 1 January, 1959. Good on him, I say.

And it really does provoke the thought of, who will replace him? What will happen with concern to regional and international relations (i.e. U.S./allies for both), as well as what will happen in-country?

Indeed, it this was the first I heard about the anti-Castro rallies in Miami.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Raul Castro- an alcoholic decrepid, senile terrorist, just like his brother.
psychopaths run in that family. Another terrorist thug.

Lets welcome him with open arms, shall we???

I can only hope Cuba will be free of these thugs one day.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Hehe, you obviously don't like em much, aye? It seems not many do . . . perhaps I'll look into them and how they run government. The only Castro I've really been exposed to is how he was in the early 60's. Didn't seem that bad then.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Watchtherocks,

I lived under his tyranny- i know a little about the louse. Its about time he heads to his eternal burning place. South.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Raul, the radical old phart.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
DG, you have put yourself into a very interesting place here...

Since you are one of the few who can offer a good view of Castro and all the reasons we should dislike him, I think you owe us some stories here.

Dare I ask: Whats so bad about the guy?

[edit on 1-8-2006 by DaFunk13]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I've told the story several times before, and i'm not the only one. Muaddib is also Cuban and i suspect one more here to be Cuban.

Fidel Castro lied to the Cuban people when he took over Batista. Now Batista also fancied himself a dictator, but we had everything and he was only a self proclaimed dictator in name. Castro promised to change the island for the better and presented himself as a liberator. What happened after that was that once he took power, he declared himself "communist". Needless to say, he fooled a lot of people!!! People started leaving the island by the millions.
I left very little in 1962 with my parents. My parents had to give up the usinesses they owned and our house INCLUDING all the belongings....that's literally, since the government comes to your house and counts EVERYTHING you have...right down to the last spoon...THEN and only then could you leave.
I remember eating Russian canned food (dog food) since the USA, rightfully so, refused to trade with Castro. To this day, there is no food and as you know people are dying to get out...by boat...swimming...at all costs.
The only thing that man could actually be complimented on is the medical field- and research. However, even with that, he did not allow many doctors to leave the island. Many of them were refused exit to the US.
Bad? Yes. Since nobody does business with him, the island is as if time stood still.
No cars, just old 40's and 50's cars that some have managed to maintain.
The biggest problem is no food. I have an aunt in Cuba who comes to the US every 5 years and we give her stuff to take back.

You ever see the pictures of "Come to Cuba for a wonderful vacation"? Sure- you can have a luxurious vacation in one of the beaches Fidel opened up to attract tourists- that's a source of money comming in.
BTW, Cuba is very beautiful, the beaches...i can still see them and smell them.
Christopher Columbus once said he had never laid eyes on such beauty in his travels. I wonder what he would say now.

Cuba was once the playground of the rich and famous- including Ernest Hemmenway who would never leave.
Now the island looks like an atomic bomb has fallen there and consumed the island.
My uncle went there, shortly before he died and came back crying. :shk:

That SOB. And his fat little brother, well, good luck to him. The problem i see is that Cubans in Cuba now only know hunger and desperation and they wont revolt against Raul...how sad....
I hope the Cubans in Florida do something

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Who is the third in command? How far does the chain of command go? I doubt Cuba will ever change without an outside force getting involved. I'm going to predict that Hugo Chavez is going to visit Cuba soon.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hugo Chavez will not get involved- not when he's got super powers in line ahead of him.

I want Cuba to be free, but not under the thumb of Bush either. I have to say, they need help and if Bush is actively going to help, that's fine. Just dont make Cuba part of the USA. It can survive without the rule of Bush.

Spain? One nice large island and you can take it back. What do you say???

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Is there any resistance movement in Cuba? I have to admit im totally ignorant of anything to do with Cuba and her politics. If Castro could bring down a government, why cant his government be brought down? Some of the people must support him at least, whats the deal?

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There is limited public demonstration against Castro in Cuba. Remember, he rules the island with an iron fist with the use of his military.

It's no mystery how one man can rule an entire nation. Saddam did it. Idi Amin did it. Hitler did it. It's easy when you have the full force of the well-fed, privileged military behind you. And no valid "elections", either. In Cuba, all candidates must be approved by the Communist Party. And there is only one political party.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Is there any resistance movement in Cuba? I have to admit im totally ignorant of anything to do with Cuba and her politics. If Castro could bring down a government, why cant his government be brought down? Some of the people must support him at least, whats the deal?
After so many years and new generations? NO. The people there refer to him as "father"
I suppose an abusive father who does not provide for you and does not feed you is better than no father at all, to some....
Should you rebel, you get "Paredon" which means you get your butt shot. This includes talk and no action also. Its a very very sad situation.

Even if you hate him you best never speak against him or the committees that are formed every four blocks will do their duty and turn you in.
And you best be satisfied with the 1 chicken you get a month and the two potatoes...

new topics

top topics

join