It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush submits new terror detainee bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Read the fine print in this draft.

1-U.S. Citizens suspected of terror
2-Detained all enemy combatants until hostilities cease.

I wonder if terrorism will include anti administration comments or anti U.S comments found on internet sites?

pretty scary stuff!

By ANNE PLUMMER FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jul 28, 6:53 PM ET

WASHINGTON - U.S. citizens suspected of terror ties might be detained indefinitely and barred from access to civilian courts under legislation proposed by the Bush administration, say legal experts reviewing an early version of the bill.

According to the draft, the military would be allowed to detain all "enemy combatants" until hostilities cease.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
hmm. that sounds like fun!
looks like the US administration is using this distraction in the mid-east to tighten the noose a little. too bad this story will probobly end up burried behind the Floyd Landis steroid scandal.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I like the way this whole thing reads. I would have maybe used a little stronger language and reserved the right to snatch a few more people and lock them away but I suppose we have to cave to the whining libs once in a while right.

Scary..how the hell is this scary? Would you like to see terror suspects, American or foriegn, to just get a warning..PLEASE DON'T TRY TO BOMB US AGAIN 'k?

All well and good until they nuke your city...then lets see what you consider scary.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by Mr Beezer]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Beezer

Scary..how the hell is this scary? Would you like to see terror suspects, American or foriegn, to just get a warning..PLEASE DON'T TRY TO BOMB US AGAIN 'k?

All well and good until they nuke your city...then lets see what you consider scary.

Ever hear of a thing called the Constitution?? It reads something like this.

Due process and protection of property
Amendment V:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Or

Equal protection under law and due process of law
Amendment XIV:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

But I guess these don't count for anything but toilet paper ehh???

Let me guess we have millions of AMERICAN terrorists in this country ehh????

Show me 10 cases where Americans were terrorists.

WTC 93 isn't the FBI Paid someone a mil to blow up the towers, and yes its public knowledge.

OKC bombing there was an Arab with that group. Mcveigh was the patsy and so was Nickels.

So remember when u want to back up such a ludicrous bill that it may in fact interfere with your rights as well.

Good thing for Fatherland Security ehh in the good old USofA..

And if you don't know what Fatherland Security is, Why don't you ask Hitler or someone from Germany.

::EDIT::

Opps Didn't realize you weren't from the US. Sorry about that, but I will leave this up here for others to gander at before they say something moronic like:

This is a good idea, or We should have don't this a long time ago, type crap.

[edit on 7/31/2006 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This bill will violate our constitutional rights unless Bush is trying to change the constitution . . I think that it will either be dismissed of it will end up in the supreme court.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The way I read this bill is that if you are American, this bill will give HLS the ability to arrest you and then hold you in jail for the duration of the conflict !

Remember WWII when FDR rounded up Japenese Americans and held them in camps during the war, we are looking at the same thing here. Inturnment camps!

Just think,
Your parents immagrated to the U.S. from Jordan.
But were born here in the U.S.
You have dark skin with a middle eastern last name.

Then one day dark skinned middle eastern men with last names simalar to yours start sabotaging and attacking here in the U.S.

Instead of arresting these men, the Department of Homeland Security rounds up all dark skinned men with simalar last names and inturns them in GITMO or some camp in Utah for the duration of the conflict which could last for years.

like I said pretty scary !

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If you want to quote the Constitution, I'll be happy to oblige! It also says:

The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

That basically gives the Congress carte blanche to pass any law against enemy combatants and deny them the right to access the civilian courts.

edit:

I remember a quote I heard recently, I don't remember if was a modern commentator's own words or something for our founding fathers, but it said "The Constitution is not a suicide pact", meaning basically we can do whatever is needed in a time of war to protect ourselves.

[edit on 7/31/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It not only violates the Constitution, it violates the MAGNA CARTA of 1215!!

Due process of law was written into the Magna Carta, this law would bring us all to the times before that when you could be thrown in jail for anything. All it takes is for a spiteful neighbor to turn you into the Homeland Security. America is no longer the Home of the Free.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
djohnsto77 this quote is also particularly relevant to the situation, "all enemies foreign and domestic", being a US citizen does not mean you are immune from committing acts of terror and from being punished for said acts. For extreme yet necessary circumstances when such law was required look up the Revolutionary War, Civil War and WWII. Some of the speculation and or fear mongering posted on this thread is just that, nothing more. Premature speculation which has been going on since 9/11, I swear we were supposed to be put into camps years ago, I wonder what happed?

[edit on 31-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
djohnsto77 this quote is also particularly relevant to the situation, "all enemies foreign and domestic", being a US citizen does not mean you are immune from committing acts of terror and from being punished for said acts.

Absolutely! Also that means that you as a US citizen are afforded the rights granted to others being tried for a crime.

For extreme yet necessary circumstances when such law was required look up the Revolutionary War, Civil War and WWII.

This is not a Revolutionary War, a Civil War, or WWII. This is the "war on terrorism" and the war on terror "isn't going to end anytime soon." There is a big difference. This war is going to be prolonged, so the laws pulled for this time are going to be prolonged. This is a different war than any other war we have ever fought. Just ask our president, I don't think I need to search the quotes with him saying these things for you.

Some of the speculation and or fear mongering posted on this thread is just that, nothing more.

We're all entitled to our opinions I suppose. Speculation is a good thing in this country though, in fact, it is our responsibility. Fear mongering, no, but I don't see as much fear mongering as I see speculation of what could happen, which we should always remain vigilant of.

Premature speculation which has been going on since 9/11, I swear we were supposed to be put into camps years ago, I wonder what happed?
Well, you should at least be able to say that if it would ever go in this direction, the groundwork has been laid.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Well I am glad you guys helped out and actually answer my original question.

Show me 10 US Citizens that were convicted of being a terrorist.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I still would like an answer to the question above..

If this bill is that legit it shouldn't be that hard to name 10 US Citizens who are/where terrorists right???

Like the drug bill, I can google or look ina local paper and find 10 people who got busted for that. I am sure google can pick up 10 American terrorists, right???

Anyway Someone answer this question.

I will give you a start.

cnnstudentnews.cnn.com...
Then, in 1920, the radical group bombed the center of capitalism and commerce: Wall Street.

On September 16 that year, a horse-dawn carriage carrying dynamite rolled to a stop in front of the Morgan Bank in lower Manhattan. The blast that ensued claimed over 30 lives and injured hundreds more. Despite the devastating explosion, Wall Street was back to business the following day.

top topics

join