It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evangelist pleads not guilty on tax fraud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Dr. Kent Hovind, more commonly known as Dr. Dino, has been charged with 58 counts of Tax Fraud. He denies this and wanted to plead "subornation of false muster" but later plead Not Guilty

www.news-press.com
PENSACOLA - Pensacola evangelist Kent Hovind pleaded not guilty Monday to a 58-count federal indictment after saying he did not recognize the government's right to try him on tax-fraud charges.

Hovind, who calls himself "Dr. Dino," owns Dinosaur Adventure Land at 5800 N. Palafox St., Pensacola, a creationist theme park dedicated to debunking evolution.

For years, he has claimed that he is employed by God and has no income or property because everything he owns belongs to God. He believes man and dinosaurs inhabited the earth together and has offered a $250,000 reward to anyone who can offer him satisfactory proof of evolution.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

OK, he doesn't have to pay taxes because he works for God. This is a defense I haven't heard before. I've heard "I killed all those people because God told me to." but never this. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Will the judge acknowledge such a defense? And if the judge does will this lead to more out there defenses? "I was doing an 8 Ball of Cocaine because God told me to."?

But maybe the Government is out to get him. They closed his museum because he didn't have a permit. Dr. Hovind has also filed several lawsuits against the IRS in the past, all thrown out. Maybe the IRS are proving once again you don't mess with the Tax Man.

[edit on 25/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Nothing? I mean, this guy is saying he doesn't have to follow the law because he believes in God! If this defense is allowed can I not pay my Taxes? Or how about me going 90 in a school zone? It's ok, I believe in God!

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Yea I strongly believe this guy is going to be locked up for life. The government really hates it when they do not get paid. I honestly do not believe this guy even accepts what he is saying. He is full of it and was probably floating for so long on some loophole that was uncovered. Well once he is convicted noone will ever see him again. Just pay your damn taxes.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Even better! If you ever get caught d/l movies or music, it's ok, I believe in God!

Think about it, God makes Man, Man makes Music, therefor it belongs to God. And if God wants to come and sue you for stealing his music he can. But I would like to see him swear in on the stand.

"I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me, uh, Me?"

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Spades people who use God to justify crimes are false believers. Please do not let something as common as this sway your opinion on Christians or any other people of faith.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
People who use this as a defense are either crazy and need a Happy Jacket so they can hug themselves all day or are trying to pull one over on the people.

I hope they ask the jury selections "Do you believe in creation?" to keep any of Dr. Dino's followers/employees out of the jury. Would hate for this guy to actually get away with this crime because someone who considers him the right hand of God was on the Jury.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the uprgrade people, one problem...

I AGAIN CAN'T LOG IN!!!! WHat the Heck is going on? A week and three names. Johnny Ohm, Spades, and now this one. Why do I keep getting refused to log in? I'm not banned, I just can't log in. And until I get 20 posts I can't U2U anyone.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
A better defense would've been like these guys who claim they are rabbis, all tenants are their assistants and they have somewhere a congregation that canot be located.

Trial begins on rabbi's claim of tax exemption for Monsey home
www.thejournalnews.com.../20060311/NEWS03/603110365/1019

Monsey rabbi drops tax lawsuit against Ramapo
www.thejournalnews.com.../20060527/NEWS03/605270359/1019

Ramapo congregation loses tax break on illegal 3-family home
www.thejournalnews.com.../20060801/NEWS03/608010348/1019

top topics

join