It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush addresses NAACP

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

But you did berate Black and Latino society. That is something you did do.

The only way I berated the black and hispanic community is by writing down facts. Sure the facts aren't pretty, but I don't know what to tell you? Again I don't really care about racial problems because they don't affect me. I have my friends, and their races, I don't really care. It isn't an issue for me unless someone makes it an issue

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
RR, you are entitled to what you believe.

However, when you acknowledge how others treated you in a racist manner, you certainly care. And you certainly made it an issue when you brought up the age old complaints of others who think like you.

Believe me. I've heard such complaints about the NAACP and the Black community for a long time. Ad Nauseum.

I lovingly call it what Willis (Todd Bridges) proclaimed it to be in an episode of Diff'rent Strokes: "black lag" (taken from the term, "jet lag")

And they are still complaints to say the least.

Rockpuck, who says that the NAACP does this? Any examples?

[edit on 23-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The fact that Bush gave a speech at the NAACP doesn't surprise me. Both the organization and the president are terribly ineffective. Birds of a feather and all...

To those who don't like the NAACP, you're not supposed to. The NAACP exists solely to protect people like me from people like you. Unfortunately, like I said, they're ineffective.

I have lived in Harlem for 25 years, and never once seen an NAACP representative. Not when crack was poured into our community. Not when the teenage pregnancy epidemic hit its peak in the 80's and 90's. Not when our boys are tortured and murdered by the police.

So, until they actually do something, anything, I don't think they merit much discussion. Just another group of "barely blacks," or "self-hating blacks" or whatever, who work very hard to disassociate themselves from the plight of everyday African- Americans.

Sure, the acronym stands for 'National Association of the Advancement of Colored People,' but the only way they could possibly fulfill they're mission statement is if we're using the Apartheid definition of 'colored.' I, for one, know of absolutely no one that they've helped, in any way, in the past, say, 20 years.

If my African-American, between the age of 18-25, boyfriend is ever harassed or assaulted by the police, I certainly will not be calling them. That's when you call Sharpton.

And, Ceci, you don't have to search too far for modern examples of racism. Just look at how those NOLA police beat the hell out of that senior citizen right after Katrina. Shoot, now that I think about it, since there's such a backlash against reparations, what if all the black people who were harrassed by the police sued them. That should net a few hundred grand, at least, for the vast majority of black families, since we all have one such tale.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   

That should net a few hundred grand, at least, for the vast majority of black families, since we all have one such tale.

The vast majority of black families have been victims of racist violence, or in your words "harassment" by cops? Since when? That is a ridiculous statement, truly. Whatever, you can cry wolf when there usually is not one, like I said it doesn't affect me. What I did say in my initial post, is that it INCREASES racism though

I am not saying that cops don't do racial profiling, but that statement is a blatant lie. Trust me, if there were that many cases, black people wouldn't just not say anything. Who would?
I know Jessie Jackson would have used that statistic by now

[edit on 23-7-2006 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thank you as always, Harlem Hottie for your comments. And I pretty much agree with what you said except on these points:

1)I am neutral about NAACP because I see their endeavors in a historical sense.

2)My family knows people who are in the NAACP. Those we know aren't "self-hating" blacks who've separated themselves from the Community. They've done a lot to help the Black community in their local chapters, especially in the form of advocacy. But their efforts do not speak for the overall work of the NAACP. For the most part, the NAACP has been ineffectual to the Black Community in a lot of ways. They've rested on their historical laurels.

3)And of course, maybe the argument of reparations might have to be reframed. We all have war stories about being harrassed by the police, historically and in modernity.

4)And for Rev. Sharpton--despite anyone's opinion--does his best to advocate for those in trouble. I'd call him if I was in trouble. Plus, I'd call the CCR (the Center for Constitutional Rights) as well.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

The vast majority of black families have been victims of racist violence, or in your words "harassment" by cops? Since when? That is a ridiculous statement, truly. Whatever, you can cry wolf when there usually is not one...

Blah, blah, blah.

I'm usually not that rude, but I felt you deserved it. How dare you?! I don't need to lie about my peers being harassed by the people meant to protect us. The police do enough lying about this already.

It amazes me that people on this site, who seem so well- informed, remain willfully ignorant on the topic of racism, but, since you apparently live in a cave, I will spoon-feed you an example of the 'terrorist activities' of the Chicago Police and the systematic harrassment of an entire city of African-American citizens. Here you go. Report on Chicago Police Torture Is Released Of course, the statute of limitations has long since expired in most of these cases. That's what happens when you're black and you report a crime BY the police TO the police. Unless you show up to the police station with, I don't know, a white person to vouch for you. Otherwise, your crying, desperate parents have to call Sharpton.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Harlem I am waiting for your documented statistics about how the vast majority of black families experience police harassment and violence that would warrant most of the black people in the US hundreds of thousands of dollars...

To those who don't like the NAACP, you're not supposed to. The NAACP exists solely to protect people like me from people like you.

This was something you said. People like me? Do you mean white people? Are you being racist or prejudice because I have differing opinions? Damn I should call Al Sharpton for this...

This is a closing note for Harlem and Ceci, I know a dozen of blacks who will totally disagree with you. Now you can whine about how "the white man keeps the black man down" all you want, nobody important is listening, and most people shrug it off. You can talk about reparations all you want, but it will not pass in any house of government. And you cannot heed what I am saying that people like you increase racism in America. Nobody denies there is racial profiling, etc. Read my posts I said it all. Let's see...Oh yes, and if you really want to know how full of bs you both are you can reread your posts. Especially Harlem's with her "interesting" but bs statistics, and hints of starting to accuse me of being prejudice such as the above quote and ceci saying I don't "treat blacks as independent people". Oh well what can you do? Tata.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well, Ceci, I knew we would disagree on a few points.

Historically, I would agree with you. Initially, the NAACP's intentions were clear, but it seems that, following a few civil rights victories in the 60's and 70's, they lost their fervor. They got comfortable. I suspect that they were bought out. In their current state, they're a neutered force, unable to affect any change because the PTB discourage any such activity.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Harlem I am waiting for your documented statistics about how the vast majority of black families experience police harassment and violence that would warrant most of the black people in the US hundreds of thousands of dollars...

If you had read the article, you would have seen evidence of, like I said, "the 'terrorist activities' of the Chicago Police and the systematic harrassment of an entire city of African-American citizens." That's an entire city. What are you missing?

Originally posted by HarlemHottieTo those who don't like the NAACP, you're not supposed to. The NAACP exists solely to protect people like me from people like you.

Do you mean white people?

Um, yes.

I know a dozen of blacks who will totally disagree with you.

Did it ever occur to you that this "dozen of blacks" simply wouldn't share their true feelings on race relations with you?

Nobody denies there is racial profiling, etc.

As sickening as the rest of your post was, this line really stood out to me. The fact that you said "etc." where you should have said "torture and murder" let me know that you missed the whole point.

The link I gave was not about racial profiling. I am not talking about racial profiling. I am talking about the loss of life. What don't you get?

But, since you brought up racial profiling, let's talk about it.

If nobody denies it, why is it still happening?
If nobody denies it, why are you sitting here arguing with me?

Especially Harlem's with her "interesting" but bs statistics,

Are they "bs statistics" due to the source, or the content?

and hints of starting to accuse me of being prejudice such as the above quote

I don't hint. I say what I mean. If you had exhibited any signs of unusual prejudice, I would have pointed it out. As things stand, you're just being a typical American, with typical American prejudice: unless it affects you, you just don't care.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally quoted by HarlemHottie
Well, Ceci, I knew we would disagree on a few points.

Historically, I would agree with you. Initially, the NAACP's intentions were clear, but it seems that, following a few civil rights victories in the 60's and 70's, they lost their fervor. They got comfortable. I suspect that they were bought out. In their current state, they're a neutered force, unable to affect any change because the PTB discourage any such activity.

It's alright to disagree, even though we both have the same interests at heart.

But, I agree with what you said here.

RetinoidReceptor:

The only person "whining about the White man" and flaccidly talking BS is you at this point. Harlem Hottie and I did no such thing.

[edit on 24-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
i am refering to the "Mania"......Maybe i'm reading too much into this, but i did not like seeing him so hyped for the reasons i mentioned.

It reminded me of how white people turn on their 'ebonic speech' when black people are around. U know ? eg. Dude on fear factor greets white people with "hey man!" and then the black guy with "wassup bruh!" lol makes me laugh.

But yes it certainly was alarming to hear his tone, maybe he thought he'd morphed into a black pastor or something ? Sounded like he was tryna 'preach' all gospel-like to me.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ceci, here's another example from Shrub's past for those with the long memories (I read your blog entry--excellent):

"...worked on "Red" Blount's campaign for Senate while he was in TANG? Blount had billboards saying "A vote for Red Blount is a vote against forced busing . . . against coddling criminals . . . against welfare freeloaders" and faked a radio commercial asserting that his opponent wanted to 'mix' the races.

source: comment by WJB

Palast's article at that link makes some good points too on the following:

- Ownership Society
- Voting Rights Act
- School Choice
- Death and Taxes

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thank you very much, psyopswatcher for posting Greg Palast's article and reading my piece on the blog. I appreciate your kind and wonderful words about the entry.

I read Mr. Palast's article. He lays it on the line about how to read Mr. Bush's speech to the NAACP. He especially brought up the point that I so wanted our POTUS to address: the voting disenfranchisement of citizens within his brother's gubernatorial state.

All I can say is that I am glad there were skeptical folks in the audience because they do have long memories. And they knew exactly what they were getting when he slunk in there, did his hyper-active speech and shuffled out.

It goes beyond whether he did the NAACP a good turn or not by showing up. One has to look at the substance of his speech and critically analyze it. By virtue of Mr. Palast's article, there is more proof out there that the POTUS was merely paying lip service in order to garner votes.

[edit on 24-7-2006 by ceci2006]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join