It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-Shirts for Points!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It's an idea I've been tossing around for quite awhile but (with tagging being such an "easy", yet time consuming, point generator) it never felt quite right until now.

The ATS store is great, but you just can't lovingly hold, stroke, or proudly wear your avatar out and about.

I look at some of the great work members have done (and see big point rewards for) compiling large threads, winning contests, etc. and I think "that guy/gal deserves a t-shirt".

I'm all for a one per member limit, and an "obscene" cost, but what would be "fair", 50,000, 100,000, 150,000, or even higher?

Regardless of the point cost, I say "YES!" to T-Shirts for points.

Anyone agree?

[edit on 7/14/06 by redmage]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Or how about a "t" shirt a month contest for the best post of the month?

I like the idea either way.

Semper

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hmmm, do you mean a shirt for winning W.A.T.S. or just for "best post"?

"Best post" seems a bit hard to judge but a shirt for winning W.A.T.S. sounds cool.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Semper if history teaches us anything we know that wont go down too well, some will start to disagree on why that post was the best and etc.. You know the rest. Plus we already have a WATS of the month thing going on so…

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Yea,
I guess your right.

We squabble enough as it is...

But it was a good idea.

Semper

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
hmmm , the problem here -- as i see it is that ATS points , WATS awards , applause etc cost nothing

i hesitate to say they are worthless -- but they have a real value of zero

whereas TEE shirts cost money , real noney

once you get above a certain level -- ATS points no longer have any real value

and the fiasco of the points for tagging episode has made the points almost meaningless IMHO

there are still tangible goals to strive for on ATS -- such as becoming an ATSNN expert [ BTW one of my goals for the future ] , having a bright red applause bar , getting the full scholar , writer , fighter member description bar - etc etc
. these stand out -- and identify the members who have made the biggest contributions to ATS from others

OTOH - the worst trap to fall into is the faslse assumption that any of the things i have noted make a given member some how " better " than another -- or makes thier opinion more worthy

my bottom line is -- you are no better , or worse than your last post in the current topic .

APE OUT

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
hmmm , the problem here -- as i see it is that ATS points , WATS awards , applause etc cost nothing

Almost, when referring to quality work (worthy of applause, W.A.T.S., etc.) it "costs" time.

Lest we forget the old saying "time is money".

It's the quality work put in by members that really makes ATS the wonderful place it can truly be.

once you get above a certain level -- ATS points no longer have any real value

My point exactly, there should be a tangable "Grand Prize", so to speak.

Like Pepsi points and the Harrier jet (but a lot less expensive
)

There was an Ipod contest early on when podcasting started, I don't want to "break the bank" I'm only talking about t-shirts here.

If they were for W.A.T.S..... 12 a year max (and all together cheaper than an Ipod).

If they were for points in the "six figures"...... how many active members have that many to cash in? There are Mods and SuperMods who don't have that many.

With ATS on them (the shirts) could they be "written off" as an advertising expense or does that kind of thing not work for a N.P.O.?

and the fiasco of the points for tagging episode has made the points almost meaningless IMHO

Agreed, which is why I never brought it up until now, and why I think the cost should be so much.

If you're worried about "taggers", the T-shirt could appear in the points store after you've recieved X number of applause U2Us.

That could "weed them out". However, some spent many hours cataloging the site for us to be able to search for info much easier (a "valuable" contribution).

there are still tangible goals to strive for on ATS -- such as becoming an ATSNN expert [ BTW one of my goals for the future ] , having a bright red applause bar , getting the full scholar , writer , fighter member description bar - etc etc

While I certainly agree that these are all great and wonderful goals........ we certainly have a different understanding of the definition of the word "tangible", as none of these goals can be "held" or "touched".

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Being the artsy craftsy type, I have already made my own ATS t-shirt using a silkscreen [serigraph] stencil I made myself. I even have a red warning flag to give it some color and contrast. I personally used a serious retro design, almost deco. No one has even commented on my work, much less recognized ATS as a conspiracy site.

Damn, now I'll probably get a cease and desist order for copyright infringement. Anyway my "haute couture" designs are not for sale! Not for points, not for green money either.

Make your own with majic markers. Be creative

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Make your own with majic markers. Be creative

I tried, but the tinfoil keeps tearing whenever I move too much, it doesn't take to sewing very well, and the marker rubs off pretty easily.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
ATS T-shirts can now be bought for cash. Coffee mugs and other cool stuff as well. I don't think ATS/BTS/PTS points should be convertable to cash. I vote "No"

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
How about a t-shirt for 428 points since im computer challenged been struggling with this DAMND keyboard 4 months can i have mine now!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
my bottom line is -- you are no better , or worse than your last post in the current topic .

Hear hear. i could not have wrote better my self

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
ATS T-shirts can now be bought for cash. Coffee mugs and other cool stuff as well.

True, shirts (and other things) can be bought for cash.

That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a special W.A.T.S. shirt (or other design) for members who have gone above and beyond with quality contributions to make ATS a better place.

I don't think ATS/BTS/PTS points should be convertable to cash. I vote "No"

"convertable to cash"?

I've created (and read) the thread and have found no one suggesting that idea.

If that were the topic at hand I would vote "no" as well, but it's not.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I don't think ATS/BTS/PTS points should be convertable to cash. I vote "No"

[silliness]
Sorry to get off topic, but how about converting members points into ATS Company Stock. This way the members will actually own a piece of ATS.

I was'nt serious, btw.
:goATS:

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think its a good idea to pay 20,000 pts for a T shirt! You have to work hard to get to 20,000 points and its not easily accomplished.

Why not?

There's been dumber suggestions
!

Put a limit , like one purchase a year, that way people wont post rubbish to get the points, etc.

It COULD BE done, maybe

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Okay okay...you did beat me to it!

Gratz on agreeing with me that...err gratz on myself agreeing with you, that this is a good idea!
I really see this as a win-win idea. Here I am gonna post my post from that other thread in here...as it's more relevant

Purchasable ATS Gear!!!

Seriously, I am a web dev and I have been in the industry for a while. ATS makes alot of cash from this site through ads. Which is great for them But I think the Above Network LLC can give back to the members by allowing them to "buy" real ATS gear with ATS points, like one of those ATS shirts.

Not too mention wearing an ATS shirt is obviously a form of advertisment. It's a win win situation!!

It could be something obscene like 50k points for a hat. I dunno. Numbers can be worked out. And other members?

Hopefully you will get your cool ATS hoodie soon
And I shortly thereafter. And then we can prance around high-traffic shopping malls as walking ATS advertisments!

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

ATS T-shirts can now be bought for cash. Coffee mugs and other cool stuff as well. I don't think ATS/BTS/PTS points should be convertable to cash. I vote "No"

Hellmut, I don't know exactly how the Super-Mod thing works. But I am sure you are privy to the knowledge that the Above Network LLC makes monthly revenue from ads right? Or am I wrong on that point?

When you think about it: the more the points accumulated, entails the more time spent interacting with this site. Thus more time spent clicking the ads on ATS. Hence the more money ATS gets from ads. It's the regular members with points that most likely contribute the most to ad revenue for ATS. So....

How about a shirt or a hat in return?

It's also advertisment.. People see the ATS Gear, and the conspiracy theorists awes them with divine knowledge and government secrets, which brings new members to the site. Those members click the ad links. ATS makes cash.

Win win.

[edit on 013030p://16u04 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'd happily give up 200,000 of my points for one of those great ATS hooded tops.

They're of no real use to me otherwise - although I was kind of hung up on the points system at one time, I soon realised that applause from the mods was worth far, far more.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Why not just sell ATS t-shirts.
I would buy one for sure and wear it and give as gifts.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

They do sell them...

www.cafepress.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join