It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-emergence of the Virtue Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Though I'm not particularly a fan of NPR, this story has some frightening implications for the people of Afghanistan:

July 10, 2006 ยท The Department for the Prevention of Vice and the Promotion of Virtue, one of the most feared Taliban-era institutions, is returning under the current U.S.-backed government. Many Afghans remember being thrown in jail or tortured by the Taliban version of the organization.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Below is the link to the audio story.

www.npr.org...

What was the point in dismantling the Taliban if the same conditions are going to be repeated? If Islam is not modernized there, while there is still a chance, the whole exercise was pointless!

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

original quote by:hogtie
What was the point in dismantling the Taliban if the same conditions are going to be repeated?

Unfortunately the US Govt. does not really care about "virtue". They do, however, care very much about poppy and oil.

Another member pointed this out in this thread:pure lies!

with an article of note here
Of course, the Taliban were against this aswell.

Also oil pipelines being laid through afghanistan have also part of the reasoning for invasion. but I promise you this: We did not remove the Taliban for ethical reasons. Nor for the WOT. It was about Oil for the Big execs. and it was about Heroin for the CIA.

thats just my two cents.
thanks for your time

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie

What was the point in dismantling the Taliban if the same conditions are going to be repeated? If Islam is not modernized there, while there is still a chance, the whole exercise was pointless!

I imagine it has something to do with the stated goals being lies.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
But the govt can only tip its hand so far. Letting this one go by is just blatantly insulting. Up to now, the govt could get by with most of the public by showing how the Afghans have been liberated, but they will have no leg to stand on if things go back to condition zero. Once they start executing women in the soccer stadium again, maybe there will be some head scratching.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
You don't have to go far to find this one right on the US DOE website.

www.eia.doe.gov...

What I though was the real war on terror was just another oil front. It's true that the region is unstable and a good place to hide but it's tap full of Oil and Gas. The Russians were going for it until we turned it against them. No we have free reign of it. Also note the poppy production.

new topics

top topics

join