It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland Ice Melt: See if this don't scare you!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, I would think CO2 and methane would get dispersed throughout the world not just where it is created. most oil wells are just north of the equator, so that might play into it. Maybe it's just a northern Hemispheric bias in the reporting as most industrilized nations are in the north.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Thanks for the reply,

I would think CO2 and methane would get dispersed throughout the world not just where it is created. most oil wells are just north of the equator, so that might play into it.

yes it's true that eventually the greenhouse gases dissipate into the total atmosphere.

but i'm thinking that the Jet-Streams will sorta concentrate the northern climate and air in the northern atmosphere-

and the southern Jet Stream will act likewise with that volume of air

I have not witnessed as yet any balloonist go around the world and cross the equator in the process, so there seems to be a type of segregation of the air masses to their hemisphere, latitude of origin?
.....sure there's a lot of dispersal of a volcano's ash & plume, but any eruption generally follows the wind current and 'bands' the earth in a narrow belt for a while, as did Mount St. Helens...
and i'd guess that for months the upper atmosphere may be hazy-er in the latitude of the event moreso than say in Argentina or Australia

but this model probably involves a lot more factors that tend to present the northern hemisphere as seeming to be reacting more to global warming.
conventional wisdom may say this idea is absurd, that gasses will quickly diffuse in the same manner that a drop of dye will dissapate in a pool of water
...i think otherwise,

have a nice day

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
UPDATE:

This isn't looking good.

Melting ice cap triggering earthquakes

The Greenland ice cap is melting so quickly that it is triggering earthquakes as pieces of ice several cubic kilometres in size break off...

Robert Corell, chairman of the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, said in Ilulissat yesterday: "We have seen a massive acceleration of the speed with which these glaciers are moving into the sea. The ice is moving at 2 metres an hour on a front 5km [3 miles] long and 1,500 metres deep. That means that this one glacier puts enough fresh water into the sea in one year to provide drinking water for a city the size of London for a year."

...melt water was pouring through to the bottom of the glacier creating a lake 500 metres deep which was causing the glacier "to float on land. These melt-water rivers are lubricating the glacier, like applying oil to a surface and causing it to slide into the sea. It is causing a massive acceleration which could be catastrophic."

More...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I didn't read most of the post.

Just a point of order. Does anyone know why "GREENLAND" is named GREENLAND and ICELAND is named ICELAND?

Climate changes regardless of what we do.

Another question, just for the tree huggers... When did continental North America have MORE trees. a) when the injuns ruled the land and there were no whitemen - or b) NOW?

okay, you all can continue on....

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I didn't read most of the post.

Just a point of order. Does anyone know why "GREENLAND" is named GREENLAND and ICELAND is named ICELAND?

They discovered Iceland first, and named it what it is for obvious reasons -- there's plenty of ice. Then when they found Greenland, they optimistically named it what it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join