It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Scientology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have done a search (although I admit that I don't have the attention span nor free time to carefully scan all threads) but was wondering if any of the members of ATS can explain the views of this religion and how large of a following exists? Also if any members follow this belief system, I would greatly appreciate more personal thoughts. Basically I am curious what is the draw of this religion and how did it get started.

Thanks for your time and appreciate any input!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
hey. I haven't really reseached the subject that much, but the basics can be found here:

Scientology
ATS-1
ATS-2
ATS-3
ATS-4

ATS-5
ATS-6
ATS-7

You could also watch the South Park episode (ep 137-trapped in the closet). It explains their main belief system, with a comical twist. I know South Park isn't the best place for solid truths, but it beats paying 125G's (roughly), through Auditing that scientologists have to pay to learn the "secrets of scientology".

edit: added ATS links

[edit on 5-6-2006 by pstiffy]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSky796
Basically I am curious what is the draw of this religion and how did it get started.

The draw of Scientology is that it allows people to feel like they have more control over their lives. Many people feel out of control. With Scientology, all a person has to do to be more successful in their lives is to get rid of the garbage that has accumulated in their "souls," and everything will be hunky-dory. It's not that much different than the Catholic concept of sin, which can be gotten rid of through confession and prayer. And instead of blaming the Devil, they blame bad aliens, so people don't have to blame themselves. Also, with Scientology, you can improve yourself without having to be meek or contrite or having to bow down before some vague God thing. You can see where that would be appealing, don't you? Salvation and success, and you can still be arrogant. What a deal!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Scientology is the worlds largest and most lucrative cult.

You will pay thousands of dollars having your brain "audited" and your body cleansed by saunas, oil, and vitamins, all to learn the ultimate truth of the universe: billions of years ago, humanity was dropped in a volcano by some evil dude named xenu, who dropped an atomic bomb on them afterwards. Thats why everything is now screwed up. According to scientology.

In otherwords, its a big steaming pile of crap.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
ROTFL!!!!! thats so retarded

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
For those interested in Scientologies' teachings, and the extensively footnoted biography of its' founder, L. Ron Hubbard, may I recommend an outstanding website. It's www.clambake.org

G.Houtchens
armchair coach
amateur historian

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

Basically I am curious what is the draw of this religion and how did it get started.

The draw of Scientology is that it allows people to feel like they have more control over their lives. Many people feel out of control. With Scientology, all a person has to do to be more successful in their lives is to get rid of the garbage that has accumulated in their "souls," and everything will be hunky-dory. It's not that much different than the Catholic concept of sin, which can be gotten rid of through confession and prayer. And instead of blaming the Devil, they blame bad aliens, so people don't have to blame themselves. Also, with Scientology, you can improve yourself without having to be meek or contrite or having to bow down before some vague God thing. You can see where that would be appealing, don't you? Salvation and success, and you can still be arrogant. What a deal!

Couldn't have explained it better myself. Short and sweet. Good job Enkidu!

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Go to your local Scientology Church and ask.

Anyone at the front desk is willing to answer your questions about the church, or will direct you to someone that will answer your questions. Take an introductory course for a few dollars to get the feel of the place, and then decide for yourself what you think of Scientology.

Most of the links about Scientology that you find on ATS are very biased and anti-Scientology. I recommend you look at both sides of the story before you make a judgement on them, they have knowledge in their teachings that could be of value to everyone. I'm no longer a member of the CoS, but I still value what I've learned from them, and I use the Tech in my everyday life.

Don't believe everything you read on Clambake, though much of it is true, find out for yourself.
And keep an open mind................

www.scientology.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Does anyone actually believe that scientologists believe Xenu travels in ships similar to DC8's? Thats ridiculous! Scientologists do not believe that! Its disinformation to find out who the 'agressors' of scientology are. search the web for scientology and mind-control, and you should find documents of what they do to anti-scientology people, the OPPOSITE of what they do to themselves. they activate reactive mind in these people, setup situations (ie, one document states they setup a fake hit and run in front of a drugged individual - causes fear, panic, and a fractured mind).

Their main goal is world domination without war, insanity, and crime. They use these 'hollywood' techniques themselves (trapped in closet episode). Either way i'm for a world like that, just don't want to be in their firing line!

Regards

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I think we can have a discussion about religion without mocking each other's beliefs.

Sure Scientology has writings from Hubbard that seem very strange when taken out of context, but the same goes for all religions.
We all seek the truth, how we find it is not important, but having many people searching in different directions will speed up the process.

And we can learn from each other..........

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My main question to the COS is this....

I f we are supposed to pay all this money, & give everything to the church, & give up what we are to become "better", how come the ultra rich movie star scientologists like Tom Cruise, John Travolta, & Kelly Preston don't have to do that?

Oh wait, they need those "faces" to promote the cult. That's why.

What's good for the goose, (average Joe) is different for the Goose Farmer (The Church Of Scientology)

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merger
Does anyone actually believe that scientologists believe Xenu travels in ships similar to DC8's?

Most scientologits dont believe that becuase you are not told such things until you hit a very high level in Scientology. Tom Cruise is at a level were he would be told that infact his ex-wife Nichole quit at just about that level. This stuff is messed up

Heres Travolta using one of their infamous E-meters

anyone that thinks that stuff is legit, I have some sweet land for sale real cheap.

[edit on 17-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
im pretty sure south park nailed it

they believe some evil alien dictator froze a bunch of aliens an through them in eart volcanos an set them off with like bombs or somthin. an the souls of the aliens inhabit all living things an thats the cause of wars ect

an u cant talk when you have a baby, or zenu will take the baby from you

i wanted if that means you can let your girl moan or scream cause the sperm will be taken all. the cant enter the world in a loud erratic inviorment

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I wasn't mocking the religion, I was stating that through my personal experienced with the church, is that once you progress to one level, the previous level is negated, sometimes beliefs have gone the opposite direction on the above level. From what I've come across, its so that if someone leaves the church and opens their mouths, they will reveal what they've learned in their level, however if they went one more level, you would find its a different lesson and sometimes totally opposite belief.

I was involved with the church brielfy a few years ago. I was also told they've nearly completed their Global agenda of No War, Insanity and Crime. How can they do this? Tom Cruise/John Travolta are faces, then you have the directors, producers and script writers who are scientologists.

Activating reactive minds within suppressives and potential trouble sources is one way they are succeeding. The exact technique that 'lord xenu' programmed souls millions of years ago - through movies! Doesn't that seem a little strange and coincidental. From that I concluded that the 'trapped in the closet' episode is disinformation - as I've also found other episodes use the same 'dianetic' techniques in their episodes - and especially the southpark movie.

Either way, i've started a research project on techniques used in media to program the mind subliminally - I found most of these were opposite of what scientologists use against themselves.

Regards

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Thi s is not the full extent or truth of it.

The church is a bad place to find out about the teachings as well.

The net is not a good place either for it has a lot of false data on both sides.

Most say get a book and read it. Contact the independents. Freezone it is called.

There is a group for new people asking questions of trained people.

Look up IFA and Scientology and freezone you should find it.

Barb

Originally posted by Enkidu

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
DarkSky796,

Here is a web page that will explain any of your questiion's that you may have. It is very,very indepth and informative, hope it help's....

www.answers.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I would recommend not to go the the organized church as they are altering the teachings and lost their way.

There are indpendent people out there. International Freezone Association is one group as well as a few others. One has to be careful that you get the orginal teachings as so many alterations crept in. It is called the Freezone.

Which means it does not work as it should and many upsets happens.

Anyhow a lot of the new people in the freezone never went to the church. Also the church hates the freezone.

A long complicated story. Let's say there was a power struggle a long time ago and the bad side won.

Find books to read before 1980's and you will get the orginal stuff. Then find someone to help you to in the freezone or you can try the church out and see if it fits you well.

Barb

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pstiffy
hey. I haven't really reseached the subject that much, but the basics can be found here:

Scientology
ATS-1
ATS-2
ATS-3
ATS-4

ATS-5
ATS-6
ATS-7

You could also watch the South Park episode (ep 137-trapped in the closet). It explains their main belief system, with a comical twist. I know South Park isn't the best place for solid truths, but it beats paying 125G's (roughly), through Auditing that scientologists have to pay to learn the "secrets of scientology".

edit: added ATS links

[edit on 5-6-2006 by pstiffy]

The Church Of Scientology is a cult that can criticize but doesn't like being criticized. In other words, they can "dish it out" but they "can't take it". This cult is popular in Hollywood and other show biz facilities across the world. You need to have alot of money to burn when you're in this cult because you have to pay more money each time you want to advance to a higher level. Nonsense. Scientology is like the Gates Of Mulderism- a joke and more of a knee slapper than a serious conversation. L. Ron Hubbard, sorry, Enron Hubbard was a fraud according to one of his kids that went to the press about it.

Wisconsin

[edit on 24-6-2006 by Wisconsin]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Why is this stuff any less-believable or any more ridiculous than the fairy-tales contained in the Bible?

It's pathetic how trashing scientology seems to be the last popular trend... I don't follow the religion or believe in it. But why is this stuff any less legit than anything else?

I will laugh at a scientologist just as long and just as hard as I will laugh at Christians or Muslims. They all throw their faith into something, mostly for reasons of insecurity and/or fear... but it's all the same crap.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A fairly balanced view and also reasonable given one does not follow religion.

I tend to agree with you that most religion has way out there stuff in it.

I just follow and use what works for me. Then I find the stuff that I thought did not work just might work.

Some of the bad stuff will never work and one has to be able to judge for self what is workable and what is someone's opionion.

OK I am out of here. I have spent too much time hoping the church will reform but they probably will not do so. So I stay in the freezone as well as work to end me hoping and keep looking at stuff that will never change.

Barb

Originally posted by firebat
Why is this stuff any less-believable or any more ridiculous than the fairy-tales contained in the Bible?

It's pathetic how trashing scientology seems to be the last popular trend... I don't follow the religion or believe in it. But why is this stuff any less legit than anything else?

I will laugh at a scientologist just as long and just as hard as I will laugh at Christians or Muslims. They all throw their faith into something, mostly for reasons of insecurity and/or fear... but it's all the same crap.

top topics

join