It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Lockheed Black Bird still in use?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
wow found that easy enough.

The U.S. Air Force and Pratt & Whitney ground-tested the first uncooled hydrocarbon-fueled scramjet engine at simulated Mach 4.5–6.5 in 2001. This collaboration also demonstrated in 2003 a scramjet made from nickel-based alloys and cooled by its JP7 jet fuel. The 2003 engine has the potential to power future missiles, aircraft, and access-to-space vehicles. Last year, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, U.S. Navy, Boeing, Aerojet, and Johns Hopkins University also ground-tested a scramjet engine, which was constructed primarily from nickel alloys, powered by JP10 jet fuel, and intended exclusively for hypersonic missiles.

enphasis mine.

from www.aip.org...

so it would seem that scram jets use or can use j-p7 fuel .

[edit on 4-6-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
And as Zaph said it just seems to be a very high performance fuel ,

So it is no wonder that it is still in production,

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You said here that the fuel is still being made. That is the proof that people have been calling for, as well.

Any how, back into the topic at hand, the fuel is still made, so what are they refueling if not Black Birds?

My emphasis. Otherwise, calm down a lot! This may help you in that endeavour.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
wow found that easy enough.

Ah, but that just says it used some. Does it say anything about it still being in production? Nope.

It is possible that they could have just had a surplus left over. Aside from that, if they did have to make it, there's a vast difference between producing some for a test craft and the mass production on the scale of what would be needed to keep one of two SR-71s up in the air 24/7.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
No disrespect Zaphod but actually I believe that the person who gave me the information about it being in use is a bit more , ahem, truthful than the US Goverment.... They do lie you know?! and this person was interested because they know that i'll dig around, they just gave me a pointer in the right direction... they have two SR-71's at Akatori.

Any how, back into the topic at hand, the fuel is still made, so what are they refueling if not Black Birds?

the JP-7 ( JP-TS Thermal Stable) fuel is used by the U-2 Dragon Lady.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
How are you going to hide a non-stealthy plane flying at Mach 3+ from an air traffic controller? Or are they forcing hundreds of controllers to lie about them flying?

That is simple.... turn off the transponder and civilian radar cant see anything.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pita
, but they are probably in the stage of designing a new one, or just using satellites

You known I never bought that satellites can do the job of spy planes line when the military gave it to us when they retired the Black Bird and I dont buy it now.

I mean we still fly the old U-2 for that same mission and are still creating new UAVs like Global hawk for that same role. Thats clear proof IMHO that satellites cant do it all.

But it was a descent cover to hide whatever secret plane replaced the SR-71.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Thats not true CT. Radar can even pick up flocks of birds. Do they have transponders?
What about other countries military aircraft. They can be picked up on US radar. I highly doubt they would be flying with any kind of transponders functioning at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have something even more powerful then the Blackbird now. This rumoured Aurora project.

Interestingly enough one of the most famous hackers of the military (British guy?) said that when he hacked the DoD he found a list of Non terrestial officers with a list of ship names that weren't in service with any conventional planes or ships.

Who knows. Sr71 still had alot of life left in it but they retired. Possibly indicating that they have something much faster.

Scramjet Mach 6 perhaps. Black bird is only mach 3 right?

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Crazy_Mr_Crowley]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crazy_Mr_Crowley
Scramjet Mach 6 perhaps. Black bird is only mach 3 right?

Mach 3+ with a 100,000+ foot ceiling is what they tell us. A tad bit vague for a retired aircraft, but the military loves to hold on to its secrets.

Interestingly the SR-71 is really quite a stealthy plane by design, having a radar signature much smaller then the F-14 which came out years later. But the creators of the Blackbird didnt realise that the amazing temps the plane generates reflect radar waves. So its really a huge target on radar thanks to its super hot exhauts.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
For a plane that is supposidly no longer in use, it is very funny that several air bases, seem to have dozens that look flight ready

Googlemaps:
list of blackbirds on runways and in open air storage

seems some of these look quite ready to fly, since they are on runway paths

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
For a plane that is supposidly no longer in use, it is very funny that several air bases, seem to have dozens that look flight ready

How are you basing that they look "flight ready?" Because they're near a runway or at an airport, or am I missing something?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crazy_Mr_Crowley
Thats not true CT. Radar can even pick up flocks of birds. Do they have transponders?
What about other countries military aircraft. They can be picked up on US radar. I highly doubt they would be flying with any kind of transponders functioning at all.
[edit on 5-6-2006 by Crazy_Mr_Crowley]

CMC, only military radar actually gets a return off the body of the aircraft, radar in civilian applications only recieves a signal from the transponder on board the aircraft.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Is it possible you are seeing the new Aruora?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Its not the aurora or any super stealth its just a pair of SR-71's.

The fuels there for them, the hangers at the back of the base are there for them, and so are the support staff - I have alot more info from another source, and the aircraft in question arrived in fake NASA colours and were re-painted black at the base in Febuary.

Please if any cypriot members of ATS can get a piccie - Launch times are approx 4 30am and 1130 pm - please post them. appreciated.

Oh and please can i qoute this from an Air force Major.

"The Air Force has since re-activated two SR-71s to operational flight status, in an off- again, on-again, tug-of-war battle of funding appropriations. NASA also now flies an SR-71 as part of their ongoing hypersonic research program. It is still the fastest, highest flying aircraft ever made - almost 35 years after it first flew. (photo by NASA)" The piccie ill post on file shack and link.

edited as file hosting site has gone down...ill post piccie soon

[edit on 5/6/06 by MadGreebo]

i65.photobucket.com...

[edit on 5/6/06 by MadGreebo]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

SR-71 Grounded, On April 15, 1996, Deputy Secretary of Defense John White directed the Air Force to ground the Air Force's SR-71s due to conflicting language in section 304 of the National Security Act of 1947, which states that the DoD may not obligate or expend funds for any intelligence program, even though it has been appropriated, unless there is an independent authorization for that intelligence related activity. Also complicating this is the "Intelligence Authorization Act" which gives the force of law to the conference report accompanying the act. Also Section 102 of the Intelligence Authorization Act for FY-96 provides funding for the modification of the SR-71, but no funding for operating the SR-71. All operations have been suspended, there will be no training, or operational flights, (test flights related to the modification to the SR can still be carried out, though) till the language conflict has been resolved! -Inside the Air Force; and Richard Graham; and Aviation Week & Space Technology

www.blackbirds.net...

10 Oct 1997
Final USAF SR-71 flight, Major Bert Garrison(Pilot) and Capt Domingo Ochotorena(RSO) flew SR-71A #967, on the Brandy route, duration of 4.1hours, Tom McLeary flew the chase aircraft, and Ted Carlson photographed the flight(at the time no one knew that this would be the final flight!) (BG)
15 Oct 1997
President Clinton Kills SR Funding with Line Item Veto (RG, AH, ABC News)
31 Oct 1997
NASA SR-71 #844 (AF #980/Lockheed #2031) Flew for the first time with the Aerospike engine piggybacked on it, this is the first in a series of flights in the LASRE(Linear Aerospike and SR-71 Experiment). It reached a speed of Mach 1.19 at an altitude of 27,000-33,000 ft. (NASA, AWST)
30 June 1999
Final shutdown of the SR-71 Program, Det 2 is shutdown, offically ending the USAF SR-71 Program

17 Dec 2002
NASA #831(956/2007) transferred to Kalamazoo AirZoo Museum, Kalamazoo, Michigan (NASA)

www.blackbirds.net...

Subject: SR-71 TERMINATION

FM HQ USAF WASHINGTON DC//XOI

1. ON 6 MAR 98, THE AIR FORCE RECEIVED THE SECDEF MEMORANDUM WHICH APPROVED THE PERMANENT RETIREMENT OF THE SR-71. SINCE THEN, WE HAVE PROCEEDED CAUTIOUSLY WITH PROGRAM TERMINATION ACTIONS DUE TO THE SUPREME COURT'S DECISION ON THE LINE ITEM VETO AND RELATED CONSIDERATIONS. WE ARE NOW READY TO PROCEED WITH FULL PROGRAM TERMINATION.

2. UPON RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE, ALL AGENCIES TAKE ALL REQUIRED ACTIONS TO PERMANENTLY AND EXPEDITIOUSLY RETIRE THE SR-71. REQUEST MAJCOMS COORDINATE ALL ACTIONS WITH THEIR COMMAND FMS IN IDENTIFYING ACTUAL COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DEACTIVATION. ALL UNFUNDED REQUIREMENTS SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO SAF/FMBO.

3. THIS IS AN AF/XOI AND SAF/AQI COORDINATED MESSAGE.

End of Message

www.wvi.com...

The last SR-71 was sent to a museum in 2002. The last USAF flight was performed in 1999. There is no more funding for them, and there will be no more funding for them again. IIRC that quote about reactivating them was from shortly after their retirement when the USAF began training pilots again for the ANTICIPATED return to service of the Blackbirds (two at least), but the funding for everything but training and test flights was removed, and they were never returned to full service.

[edit on 6/5/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Fair credit to you Zaph for the info - cheers.
...... but.... oh no, the Goverment might of lied / bent the truth a bit! shock horror.........

Well, I guess the new piccies worth jack diddly squat to the thread then....... and no, its not the linked one, but one that I had to delete faces and features out of to protect the ID of the taker before posting it all over the net - ATS protects cammo dudes by blanking faces so I thought that i'd do the same for serving peeps......

OK, I'll bend to the thread killer extrodinare, i'll not question the official line ever again, and i'll delete the piccies from my hard drive, because a SR-71 cannot possibly be in Cyprus because the Goverment said so and Zaphod said so to.

Please if you live in Cyprus, don't bother looking for me, as my question was answered by a Serving Forces member this afternoon..

Oh and for that person on route back from Afghanistan, thank you and good luck. I owe you a beer .

jra

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

Googlemaps:
list of blackbirds on runways and in open air storage

seems some of these look quite ready to fly, since they are on runway paths

Yeah that one on the aircraft carrier is defiantely ready to go... oh wait that's a museum
In fact every single one of those were at museums on display.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Have I ever said I'm never wrong? No, I've even come out in several threads and said that I was. Does the gov't lie? Of course. However, most of those sources were taken off of NON-gov't websites of people that have followed the Blackbirds for decades. How did they not notice that two of them were suddenly not where they were supposed to be?

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
img461.imageshack.us...

A great big massive THANK YOU to the sender of this piccie.

I'll stick to my side of the bargain because you stuck to yours!

And to all those that are lifting to Afghanistan on the 19th of June, my super best wishes to you all. Piccies are always welcome

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
HUH ?? at the risk of sounding rude -- that could be any where , any time .

a pic on the ground in cyprus -- with identifiable features that will be instantly recognosable to those who served there is what this thread needs -- not some profile against a clear sky

that could be any where , any date

not impressed

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join