It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music by "The Clash" Sparks Terror Alert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

NME

Man pulled off plane for music taste

The Clash and Led Zeppelin's music sparked a terror alert on an aeroplane, it has emerged.

Harraj Mann from Hartlepool was pulled off a London-bound flight at Durham Tees Valley Airport on March 30. He was questioned under the Terrorism Act after it's believed his choice of music made a taxi driver suspicious. Mann was able to play his own music through the cab's stereo on the way to his flight, but it seems the driver did not approve.

"I played Procol Harum's 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' first, which the taxi man liked," Mann explained. "I figured he liked the classics, so I put on Led Zeppelin's 'Immigrant Song'. Then, since I was going to London, I played The Clash ('London Calling') and finished up with 'Nowhere Man' by The Beatles. He didn't like Led Zeppelin or The Clash, but I don't think there was any need to tell the police."

It seems The Clash's lyrics which include "War is declared and battle come down", alarmed the cabbie who alerted police, while Led Zeppelin's line about; "The hammer of the gods will rive our ship to new lands, to fight the horde", probably didn't help either.

Well this is just Beyond Inseane!

I mean HELLO?

So now people are going to be Arrested and Interrogated and Questioned for Terrorism, if they listen to the Wrong Music?

What is this World Coming to People?

London Calling

London calling to the faraway towns
Now that war is declared-and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard, all you boys and girls
London calling, now don’t look at us
All that phoney beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain’t got no swing
’cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Engines stop running and the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
London is drowning-and I live by the river

London calling to the imitation zone
Forget it, brother, an’ go it alone
London calling upon the zombies of death
Quit holding out-and draw another breath
London calling-and I don’t wanna shout
But when we were talking-i saw you nodding out
London calling, see we ain’t got no highs
Except for that one with the yellowy eyes

And I must say I just LOVE this song by The Clash! It is on my Playlist often!

But I do not listen my music in a Cab I must admit.

Still - does that matter, what kind of music I listen to?

I think my playlist could get me in trouble in London also then...

[edit on 5/4/06 by Souljah]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i think it may be more related to his (mann's) race...

let's see what would occur if a white man played the same music...

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Those are all really great songs.

I don't know what's scarier, that some idiot thought that the song list was worth reporting to the officials, or that the officials actually thought it was worthwhile interrogating the guy. I mean, stupid citizens, fine, we expect that. But to have really stupid people also in the very positions where we need smart people, yikes.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Know what, hearing those *snip* (as my dad always called rock bands) makes me want to run away in terror...but someone listening to The Clash doesn't necessarily make someone a terrorist!

[Mod edit: Removed potentially offensive phrase]

[edit on 4/5/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Know what, hearing those jungle bunnies (as my dad always called rock bands) makes me want to run away in terror

Jungle bunnies?

What does rock have to do with the jungle or bunnies? I've actually heard that term used as a racial remark before but not to describe rock bands.

That taxi driver has to be one of the stupidist idiots I've ever heard of, and I guess the authorities are right there with him. What kind of Islamic fundamentalist would listen to Zeppelin, the Beatles, or the Clash? Gimme a freakin break.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Since you asked, I think it's a bit nervy to inflict your musical tastes on the rest of the public. Regardless of the song or message.

It is scary to think you could get arrested for the "immigrant song" though. Hard to believe that cabbie caught all the words

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hmmm ... go figure ...

Music and Lyrics, another tool for division of the masses. What's next, paper or plastic!?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Know what, hearing those jungle bunnies (as my dad always called rock bands) makes me want to run away in terror

Jungle bunnies?

What does rock have to do with the jungle or bunnies? I've actually heard that term used as a racial remark before but not to describe rock bands.

That's what my dad called rock musicians--he never used that term in the context of race.

I've never heard of it used as a racial remark, and I don't know where people get that idea from! I always thought it referred to people who acted like animals (such as rock musicians). You know...animals...jungle...?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If Zepplin and The Clash can cause that I can only imagine what a playlist with Corporate Avenger, Rage Against the Machine, and NWA might entail from the authorities. Or even worse some of that wonderfully heavy black metal out of europe, the kind that makes your ears bleed. Guess some people have nothing better to do than crap like this.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
This is another proof of mass fear, paranoia and histeria that our governments implanted in us.

I said it before and I'll say it again.

The terrorists achieved their goal.

Mission acomplished.

CX

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Edited due to wrong info.

[Mod Edit: Link format - Jak]

[edit on 6/4/06 by JAK]

[edit on 6-4-2006 by CX]

[edit on 6-4-2006 by CX]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   

That's what my dad called rock musicians--he never used that term in the context of race.

I've never heard of it used as a racial remark, and I don't know where people get that idea from! I always thought it referred to people who acted like animals (such as rock musicians). You know...animals...jungle...?

phew! You just blew my mind maaan! *Recovering from Tommy Chong episode*

The poster who said above that this shows how the terrorists have won is not half wrong. As a Londoner I was very proud to see hopw as a metropolis society and culture we didnt go off the rails and revamp Macarthyism in a fear response to terrorism... rather everyone kinda stoicly got on with things, got back on the tubes and figured 'at least it aint the Germans.. then we'd be in the crap' ...

...but seriously, this is just extremely stupid... and saddens me that things in the UK are going down this bent (although I am still hoping that this is just one of those stupid institutional racisim one-offs... and not a new policy in following ANY crap intel lead... I might get my wish.. it's my birthday today
)...

what happened to these islands famed pragmatism????

Q

[edit on 6/4/06 by Qoelet]

JAK

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Aren't you talking about a different story CX?

Your Guardian source

Band member Mike Devine, from Bristol, ...

Souljah's NME Link

Harraj Mann from Hartlepool was pulled off a London-bound flight...

Jak

Dae

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
What no-one here has mentioned is something that many other news agencies are reporting, the fact that it was'nt just a case of the guy singing and he was reported for it. If you read this report from the guardian, it states that the guy was clarifying some of the lyrics with a friend of his and he sent these lyrics by text for his friend to confirm. The text however was sent to the wrond number by accident and the recipiant took one look at a few of the words and thought it concerning enough to report to the police.

Hmmm looks like two totally separate events to me. One involved a cab ride with actual music being played. The other was lyrics sent via text to the wrong number. The Clash eh? Joe Strummer would have loved this Im sure!

CX

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Typical!
Sorry bout that.

CX.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
If Zepplin and The Clash can cause that I can only imagine what a playlist with Corporate Avenger, Rage Against the Machine, and NWA might entail from the authorities. Or even worse some of that wonderfully heavy black metal out of europe, the kind that makes your ears bleed. Guess some people have nothing better to do than crap like this.

Indeed. Or imagine what a certain Banned song by Bodycount would do? Or maybe Rammstein? Well I guess that we all feel SAFER now, knowing that we are Protected by these people, who think that certain songs are a sign of Terrorism. I am glad they are not bugging out mp3 players and cd-players when we walk the streets. Perhaps soon goverments will pass an extension to the Terrorism acts, saying which music is GOOD and which music is BAD.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Unfortunately,

It will be that one time when the authorities DONT look into a 'ridiculous' tip, and then another attack will occur.

Although I find it borderline absurd that this situation would warrant an investigation, I can understand the position these people are in when they have to decide what does and what doesn't qualify.
I, personally, would not want to be in that position of possibly not making the right decision.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I posted about this in the Rant forum yesterday, because it was, well, Rant worthy.

It's just unbelievable, I may have to have a shave and turn my music down, in case the neighbours get suspicions of "Islamic-Terrorist-Like Behaviour"

Heaven forbid he had put on System of a Down or RATM, the cab driver might have "gone vigilante" on him

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well when some songs will be forbidden, I guess we all can tune to the Rebel Radio Clash - on PIRATE Satellite:

Radio Clash

This is radio clash from pirate satellite

Orbiting your living room,
Cashing in the bill of rights
Cuban army surplus or refusing all third lights
This is radio clash on pirate satellite

This sound does not subscribe
To the international plan
In the psycho shadow of the white right hand
Then that see ghettology as an urban viet nam
Giving deadly exhibitions of murder by napalm

This is radio clash tearing up the seven veils
This is radio clash please save us, not the whales
This is radio clash underneath a mushroom cloud
This is radio clash
You don’t need that funeral shroud

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Hands of law have sorted through
My identity
But now this sound is brave
And wants to be free - anyway to be free

This is not free europe
Noh an armed force network
This is radio clash using audio ammunition
This is radio clash can we get that world to listen?
This is radio clash using aural ammunition
This is radio clash can we get that world to listen?
Orbiting your living room,
Cashing in the bill of rights
This is radio clash everybody hold on tight!

Kind of Appropriate Song for these Times we live in today, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The Clash and Led Zeppelin are the cause of all 20 of the worlds worst current terrorist acts. Get with the times people.

Thank god we have Zombie Lincoln raised back from the dead to fight these evil terrorist bands...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join