It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand the apathy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I don't understand the apathy...the lack of any tangible government response

Our border is breached, and the government acknowledges it, but does nothing to stop it.
Link

Our shipping system is breached, and the government acknowledges it, but does nothing to stop it.
Link

IMHO, legislation has never been the answer to the serious problems we have faced. Yet, that is all the government is willing to do, and still the problems get worse. Why is it that the common man can see solutions, but the legistlator is unwilling to do anything about it, except T-A-L-K.

Yet when the common man actually does something about it, they are labeled as T-R-O-U-B-L-E.
Link

Venting, I know....but the disregard is staggering.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I think I understand it. The government simply doesn't care about the people. That is not their priority. They are not in politics for the good of the people, they are in politics for the good of their wallet and the power that comes with it.

Government in the USA was originally of the people, by the people and for the people, but over the years, that has changed and in this administration, it's more clear than it's ever been that the people no longer matter. It happened by degrees, so that the people didn't notice it until it was too late. And now, that it's far too late, we have the most power- and control-hungry people in the topmost levels of government and it is filled with corruption.

If anything we are simply tools for the elite to get more of what they want. They use us and our money to strategize toward what they want.

No, the government doesn't care about the people any further than what we can do for them, instead of the other way round. The apathy is just that. They don't care.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Totalitarian takeover...see JFK assasination.

Been the slippery slope ever since.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
One of the reasons for the seeming apathy is that, we the great unwashed masses, aren't smart enough to realize that the illegal immigration problem is actually "good" for America
. Good in that it has placed in incredible strain on the infrastructure of America, particularly the border states like California, Arizona, and Texas, but has placed pressure on states like Washington that have huge populations of seasonal agricultural workers, alot of whom are surely undocumented, read illegal.
The excuse of "Americans don't want these jobs, so companies have to hire illegals.", is a phoney one; and simply not true. If these companies were forced to hire only legal workers, the pay would sky rocket and more Americans would do these jobs.

Border security could be addressed very simply by placing the military on the borders. Who gives a flying mmmm-hmmmm what Vicente Fox of Mexico thinks? Last I heard, this was our country, not his. Close the borders, begin rounding up the illegals (an enourmous job, I know...).

This issue is going to cost the Republicans big time in November. More and more Americans are getting angry that this issue is not being addressed sufficiently, and in a timely manner. Mr. Bush needs to dig his head out of his MMM-HMMM and deal with it.

I am not sure what you mean by the shipping system? Transport to and from ports, and airline security? I don't even know if post 9-11 changes are actually more effective or not. I mean, sure there haven't been anymore attacks like that, but the security screening at the airports I've been to since are a joke. Technology that is available, that can identify known or suspected terrorists even with altered features (at least I heard it was available, maybe its only experimental...I am sure someone can help me out on this?). Yet there doesn't seem to be any real urgency to place it at major entry hubs.

I am no security expert here, but it seems to me that the politicians in this country are playing a dangerous game, and it is going to cost us big time one way or another.

Apathy? I think another word would be stupidity. If it is stupidity, they need replacing, or its the sheer arrogance of elitism, in which case they need to be replaced and reminded whose country it really is. Come November, I guess we'll find out whose apathetic, and/or stupid. Them, for ignoring us, or us for letting them get away with it. The choice is ours in 8 months. Start questioning the candidates who are running against the incumbants, where do they stand on these issues, relative to their opponants. Then if the two major candidates sound the same, which many will, vote libertarian, green, workers world, who ever.

OK. Rant over.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I agree with what you said for the most part...only problem is.....Like with most issues there are SO many layers and so many people involved Nothing is simple anymore. To many people say well just do this or do that, but it is not that easy anymore.

What it boils down to is Real simple, Thomas Jefferson said: A government that does not fear its citizens, is a government it citizens should fear Anyway it is the truth, the ONLY thing this or any recent governments fear is not getting a contribution from a big corp, or to appear being politically correct. But figure most Americans are to much sheep by now and will tolerate anything.

And for the most part they are right, this BS of the border has been going on since 86, promises Made and nothing done, it was stated it was an Emergency back in 86 and yet it is worse now than ever before. You have Illegals protesting but yet you dont see ONE Rally of Legals saying stop this and shut down the border...not one
So who are the politicans going to listen to?

Also this reverse racism that goes on...the media is hysterical in the way they avoid it, and worse the politicians are to afraid to say a word....2 quick examples
Mayor Nagan of New Orleans, came out on a well watched interview and said he wanted to see New Orleans a Chocolate CIty again LMAO IF a white Major had of said New Orleans was a Chocolate city they would want an FBI probe into him, or better....a white Majoe of a city says, after the rebuild I want to see so and so a Vanilla City again They would be screaming for his blood. But everyone is afraid to say a word...dont want to offend anyone LOL

The congress woman from Ga that punched a police officer in the chest because she didnt have ID and he didnt recognize her.....not the first time she has pulled a stunt but NO one wants to say anything. If a White congress man or woman had punched a Black cop in the chest for stopping them, you would have thought the end of the world was upon us...but in this case they all just dont want to ask her questions....and just sweep it under the rug.

It is ALL BS, and will only get worse Unfortunately The border issue Even after it is voted on, Nothing will happen until heaven forbid you have an armed confrontation by ranchers and smugglers and a lot of people die, another terrorist attack etc......The Democrats will talk a lot of smack and Do NOTHING, just like the Republicans...why VOTES
They are looking down the road when the hispanic vote will be over 35%< at the rate they are coming across the border and coming in this country some say within 10 years> They know if they pass a tough bill now, in 2 elections they wont get votes.

Everything is getting sold out until there will be NOTHING left Period, So until people stop talking and start to step up, nothing will change.
Hell the colonists were considered Terrorists by Britan for standing up and wanting change, and now they are heros to us. Well if they say things always come full circle, I hope there are a few more like Washington, franklin, adams etc out there.....if not, this is going to get REAL Ugly a lot faster than it has been

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Jefferson was absolutely correct...and it's time for the political critters of this nation to begin to fear the wrath of the voters. Screw up...you are so going to go home come election time.

It's time for some of these critters to sell those houses they bought in DC, and begin looking for a new job. This is where my native skepticism begins to come out, I will believe it when I see it.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I think I can understand it. Joe Sixpack would rather be able to kick back and watch the idiot box.

People are asleep. They wake up every couple of years, vote for whatever party, then go back to sleep.

Bread and circuses.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Its no suprise people are ruled by apathy now, look at what our system has given us thanks to our 'voting' over the years. We've had tons of morons in various office, filth that steals our money and abuses every single loop hope they can get their sticky fingers through. Supposed for about 10 years you voted faithfully in what you considered your interests, and every election went farther from what you voted for, would you continue to waste the effort on voting if nothing ever happened? I know I sure wouldnt and I don't plan on it ever again utill certain changes take place to make it far more accountable which basically means never. So yeah, apathy definately rules us and for good reason.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
imo, what we need to do here is adopt an immigration law that mirrors
the imigrants country's immigration laws..

have you ever looked at mexico's laws ? thay dont have the problems weve got..

join