It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my first gun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I now own a used Mossgurg model 500. It came with a slug barrel and a buck-shot barrel. Going hunting for the first time in the fall.

A good gun?

Funny, my wife won't let me bring it in the house, so I have to store in the trunk of my car. She is angry at the fact that I even have it, but after reading many posts here, I think it is a wise investment.

I have always been against guns, although my whole family has them. Now I have one and I hate and love it.

In the fall, a friend is going to take me out to teach me to get a deer (in Connecticut). Spicy venison jerky for thanksgiving - I hope.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
To own a gun is your right! your wife should be proud!

a Mossberg is a good choice, it doesn't produce great patterns like a Remington 570 but it definitly isn't bad either! I think you will like it.

Personally i'm going for a pistol for my first weapon for several reasons, it's something my wife can use (since she has a weak left arm due to MS), I will probably get her a 9mm somewhere in the future.

My next planned purchase will most likely be a Mossberg 500 with a short barrel and pistol grip and a full stock and slug barrel.

After that I decided to get my first AW type rifle, a Romanian WASR-10 AKM.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I got a couple mossbergs. Great shotgun. I also advise a pistol if you really want to get into the "sport." Get a Glock. They are worth the money. I am in love with my Glock 23c. I just hope I never have to use it.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Glock is good if fits you, if not try something else, CZ, Beretta, Sig, Steyr... List goes on just get a handgun that feels good and is right for you hand...

For example glocks dont fit me, but a CZ-75 or a Steyr M1 are like natural extensions to my arm...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Congrats, and welcome to the gun owners club. NRA member yet? Put up some pictures of your gun. Here is my newest baby, an Armalite M-15A4 carbine.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Buy American!!!

Remington and Smith and Wesson.

Keep American Money in America!!

Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo

a Mossberg is a good choice, it doesn't produce great patterns like a Remington 570 but it definitly isn't bad either! I think you will like it.

I assume you are meaning to compare the Mossberg 500 to a Remington 870? I have looked everywhere & cant seem to find a model 570. if there truly is one & I just missed it I am very interested in info. I have both the 500 and 870 and my Mossberg will put the same load through the comparable tube(both have interchangeable choke tubes) into a hole half the size of the Remington!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Can I ask why you got one and what your criteria were in choosing one? The reason I ask is I would like to get one as well. Although I never shot one (not counting pellet) I would like to have one for fun (target) and security.

Would you recomment rifle (if so which one) or hand (if so which one)?
Thanks.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
I got a couple mossbergs. Great shotgun. I also advise a pistol if you really want to get into the "sport."

Why get a handgun? Can't I do the same with a shotgun with better accuracy?

I am new to guns.

What are the benefits of joining the NRA?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i am a "NAVY BRAT". I shot my first gun at 3 years old. (I remember pulling the trigger). I have twenty three years of gun experience. For my twenty-sixth bday, I am getting a shotgun. It is an old one of my father's (about 70 or so years old). The barrel makes it illegal in this state so we get to saw it down. SAWED OFF SHOTGUNS KICK SERIOUS you-know-what!~Have fun hunting and I will keep on shooting too!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Shotguns are you best bet for security. As much as your lady hates it, try to bring it into the house, keep it carrier-ready.

As for accuracy, no. Shotties have an almost guaranteed hit within a certian range due to spread, but a pistol will but a single round in an area the size of a quarter if you're proficient. Plus, pistols are smaller and have more rounds...generally. However, for home defence and whatnot, a shotgun is still the king of the castle. Often times, you can scare someone off by merely racking the slide.

Word of advice, though. A shotgun is not a forgiving mistress. An ND with a pistol might lose you a toe, but one with a shottie will take your foot. Careful, keep that safety on, and watch the action position.

DE

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
Why get a handgun? Can't I do the same with a shotgun with better accuracy?

I am new to guns.

What are the benefits of joining the NRA?

You cannot stick a shotgun in your belt. How many shots does a shotgun hold? Home defense wise, a shotty is best. However, my pistol holds 15+1. It is also much easier/faster to reload. It all depends on what you plan on needing them for. I am planning for hunting, as well as the worst case scenarios...so I have both.

I am also saving for a nice rifle.

Any suggestions from you gun nuts? Under $800 USD too if possible.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If you don't plan on hunting with your less than 800 dollar rifle. Shop around for an ak variant. With 800 dollars you could get a 400 dollar rifle ten spare 30 round clips and 3000 rounds of ammo.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I have a Remington youth model 870 shotgun for quail and dove and a Winchester 30-30 lever action for deer. The 870 has a very nice action and does not kick very much at all the same goes for the Winchester.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
To own a gun is your right! your wife should be proud!

Oh, Gawd!

To own a gun is a right, to not own a gun is a choice. A choice to be respected.

As far as I know, I agree about Mossburgs being fine, but leave the other crap out of it.

If his wife doesn't want a gun in the house, fine, good for her. Are there children in that house?

Leaving it in the boot of the car doesn't seem the best solution to me, 'though.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am in no way having a go at you or the citizens of America. But is it not almost insane to allow guns to be legal in the 21st century in a modern western state.I read somewhere it is the 2nd highest casue of death in some states and the 1st in others. With the huge gang culture, drug culture and segregation you have allowing guns to be possesed with out the least bit of effort appears to be negligent behaviour of every one of your governments since the act was enacted. I am aware of the power the NRA have but surely there is some right thinking future president out there who will have the guts to ban Guns of all kinds.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Here in Canuckistan, one in seventeen people own a registered firearm. There are probably quite a few more who own unregistered duck or moose guns.

We are a western nation. We are right thinking. We have guns.

DE

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
You have guns so you can kill each other, in what sense is that right thinking??

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The president swears an oath saying he will up hold the constitution and the 2nd amendment says we have the right to bear arms, I don't think it is going anywhere. If the Russians invade Texas and are trying to take my food or something I have the right to bear my arms and defend my house; also so I can hunt.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
So if a guy breaks into your house, planning to rob and possibly murder you you're gonna say go for it?

My wife's uncle was recently stabbed 6 times by a guy that was planning to break into our house there and rob us, and if she was home attack and probably kill her. Before we could get charges filed against him, he got out of jail. The first thing I told her was to buy a gun. There is no one living there with her, her family is next door, but if something happened they would have no way of knowing. I would MUCH rather have a gun in the house and have her live with killing that SOB than have him break in, rob us blind (I can do without the stuff though), and at best rape her, or even kill her.

There is nothing evil about a gun. It's a TOOL. Yes, a dangerous one, but so is a knife, or any other of a hundred things laying around your house.

[edit on 3/22/2006 by Zaphod58]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join