It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Czar: Test for drugs in schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Have our education officials lost their mind? Across-the-board, mandatory drug testing for every student? Not only are there serious problems with false-positives, what sort of "remediation" do they have planned for students that test positive? Also, such a regime would've devestating impacts on "school climate".

First we had DARE, which if anyone noticed at the beginning of the year, a report put out by the GAO found that DARE students were MORE likely to use drugs than those who did not participate in the program. Instead of looking for another curriuculm, we're just going to test every student..? Ridiculous.

I would like to think that this is a direct violation of the 4th ammendment, but the SC did rule that schools can require tests for athletes. This could become reality..

BOSTON (AP) -- President Bush's drug czar told New England governors Wednesday that drug testing in schools would be an effective way to combat a growing problem of drug use among young people, but area school officials caution there are problems with it.

The region's six governors and John Walters, director of the Office of Drug Control Policy, met at Faneuil Hall in an anti-drug summit focusing on New England's heroin epidemic.

New England has more people ages 12 and over dependent on illegal drugs than any other region of the nation, according to Walters.

www.benningtonbanner.com...

Note to mods, didn't know where to put this exactly. Hope if fits here.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I can't beleive this is happenening. If they did mandatory drug testing at the collage I'm at at the moment......well lets just say that they would have one hell of an empty collage at the end of it all. #ing police state this world os turning into. Our privacy is slowly being taken away.

new topics

join