It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa about to anounce Life in our solarsytem on the news!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Just curious, but why do you think the real breakthrough is water on the surface (solid)? I would first imagine to say that it is easier to study water on surface rather than 15 meters (or however far) below the surface.

Is there any indication that the possiblity of life existing in water above a surface is greater than that existing in water below a surface?

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Is there any indication that the possiblity of life existing in water above a surface is greater than that existing in water below a surface?

Who said I was talking about life? I think it's a huge breakthrough for the sole reason that now Earth isn't the only place in the Solar System with liquid water on its surface.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
NASA's ass! What a joke organization!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

The gig is, it isn’t Earth life getting to the outer systems… it’s life from the outer systems (or even outside our solar system) coming to Earth… say, a few microbes inside a comet…

Hey torbjon.. yeah I think I mis-communicated. I was thinking people were implying that the 'life' got blasted off of Earth's surface somehow, and wound up seeding life on other planets (theoretically).. that would be very unlikely on Enceladus because it's so far away. However, Panspermia is a whole different ballgame. That implies the seeds of life originated 'elsewhere' in space, and wound up on Earth and maybe other places as well. So in that light, life in our solar system would be related.
That has a real possibility of being a fact.. only time will tell

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Actually yes...at least here on Earth. It's thought that light was needed on surface water to start the process, and the basic component of the foodchain, i.e. plankton....which then eventually allows for more complex life.

However, we've learned since that life abounds even next to thermal vents, with waters that would boild you and I alive...and yet a crab leisurely scuttles by. At first, it was thought that such creatures depended on scraps falling from above, but with many of these creatures, that just isn't so...

It's these fairly recent discoveries that excite the imagination and make one wonder...hmm...could huge whales or sharks be prowling the dark deeps below the crust in these oceans? What about an evolved intelligence, like a super smart dolphin? It's truly a door-opener here, to think about that much water out there....

Just look at ONE drop of water under a microscope, and you'll see it teeming with life. Now imagine such creatures in the vast oceans mentioned on other worlds. Suddenly, ET seems more like a certainty than a possibility......

[edit on 10-3-2006 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Who said I was talking about life? I think it's a huge breakthrough for the sole reason that now Earth isn't the only place in the Solar System with liquid water on its surface.

Surf's up, dude!

Actually, it is kind of interesting that liquid water could be found so far away from the Sun. Br-r-r-r-r...! Pretty hard to get a tan.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

Surf's up, dude!

Actually, it is kind of interesting that liquid water could be found so far away from the Sun. Br-r-r-r-r...! Pretty hard to get a tan.

Off topic: LOL I love that pic. Would be great - no crowds but also a bit cold tho brrr!

On topic: I find it hard to believe there is NOT life elsewhere than earth, the odds are just too great. Also, I believe there could be other life in our very own solar system. Just discovering micro organisms on this particular moon would give 'alien' encounters a bit more credibility too don't you reckon?

- Nazgarn
(Once a surfer now not cause of the crowds!)

[edit on 13-3-2006 by nazgarn]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Well, what's currently up on the link provided on the first post is this:

"For more information tune to Central Florida News 13. Only on Bright House Networks.

Copyright © Central Florida News 13. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. "

Either it's been proven false, or someone's trying to cover up something.

The header on that link also states "Election 2006", which apparently has nothing to do with discovering life, water, or anything else within the solar system, besides Earth-bound politicians.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
well we have to see what future info releases of nasa might bring. for tonight there are the first results of the stardust mision and maybe they have detected some organic particals in it.
but they didn't say anything and so I think that tonight will be just a briefing.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thought I would post my idea in this thread also.

Originally posted by Hal9000
Here is the official NASA news release.

saturn1.jpl.nasa.gov...

I think NASA should plan a mission to try to collect some of the ice/water from that has been ejected into space from the geyser and return it to Earth, similar to the Stardust mission.

Could they possibly find microbial life from a captured sample?

From this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that if the various space agencies and SETI groups keep looking for extraterrestrial life, then one of these days they're going to find it.

I still think they are being very slow and quiet about surprises they're finding from the Stardust probe. They've already indicated they've found heavy elements and minerals they didn't expect to find out in deep space. What next? Decayed organic compounds that could have been life at some time?

There's absolutely no indication that there is any life anywhere else than here on Earth, and on the various probes we've launched into space. There are a lot of probablies and maybes. But so far, nothing.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join