It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Ricin Discovered in University of Texas Dormitory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
A University of Texas student has discovered ricin in a roll of quarters. Details are sketchy at the moment, and the origin of the ricin powder is unknown.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
AUSTIN -- A University of Texas student found a substance that has tested positive for ricin, a potentially deadly poison, in a roll of quarters she was using to do laundry in her dormitory, officials said.

The student and her roommate were being treated for potential exposure to the poison, although neither has exhibited symptoms, said Dr. Theresa Spalding of UT Student Health Services.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ricin is a deadly poison that has often been mentioned as a potential terrorist weapon. UK police recently investigated a major plot to use Ricin as a chemical weapon. A number of Ricin discoveries has also been made in the US since 9/11 (see links below).

The significance of the University of Texas event is unknown. The Ricin could have come from anywhere, but its discovery points to continued risk of the use of the substance by terrorists.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
cns.miis.edu

[edit on 2-25-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hold up now. Although it's potentially a terrorist scheme, let's not forget who else was well known for the use of Ricin. None other than the KGB, and quite possibly it's modern decendant the FSB.

Anybody remember that incident in London I believe, in which a Bulgarian was prodded with an umbrella and died shortly afterwards. If I'm not mistaken, that was an assassination performed by the KGB in which a very small amount of ricin was used to very deadly effect.

Am I saying that the Russian FSB is try to assassinate college girls? Not at all. The point I'm getting across is that ricin is not used exclusivly by terrorists.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is an act of terror, regardless of who carried it out. Our best hope is that it is the act of one lunatic and not the kind of thing that will be popping up frequently.

Ricin is a potent protein toxin derived from the castor bean plant. Because the plant is commonly available and the toxin is fairly easy to make, it is potentially a widely available toxin and can be produced in large quantities. It was developed by the United States and Britain in World War II, but never used.

abclocal.go.com

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It's worth noting that the roll of quarters had been in the room for several months, and had not originally come from an Austin area bank. So it seems that the dorm, or the university, were not the initial targets.

Another place where ricin was once found: northeastern Iraq, where al Qaeda had a training camp that taught the zealots how to handle ricin.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Not positive on this as the tv is on in the other room, but I think CNN just reported that it wasn't ricin afterall...
Like I said though, I am not positive on that...

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
IronDogg, I hope you're right. In which case, that would make this whole incident...a college prank?

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Based on this there is no cause for concern because the girls have not developed symptoms and further tests are needed to confirm that the substance is ricin, even though the preliminary test was positive for ricin.

I think this is kind of odd. It might not even be a prank, since people can roll coins under almost any conditions.

Because people with ricin poisoning develop symptoms within a few hours of exposure, university officials were confident all the students would be fine, said Dr. Theresa Spalding with university student health services.

The university said preliminary test showed the substance to be ricin, but the FBI was conducting further tests, FBI spokesman Rene Salinas said.

"There is nothing to lead us to believe that it is in fact a terrorist act," he said. "There's no link to any terrorism."

abcnews.go.com

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Just heard on Fox News: the initial test that identified the substance as ricin was a field test. Two subsequent tests have not borne out the same results. So at best, it may have been a false alarm.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Something else to consider. Initial tests seem to have been conducted by local authorities. Further tests were conducted by the FBI and are reported as negative. Now the substance is being tested at Fort Detrick, another federal facility.

Now CNN is reporting that the roll of coins came straight from the bank. Given the current state of things, how would a sudden loss of confidence in the banking system affect the US? Think of the consequences of 9/11 on air travel and the consequences of the Anthrax attacks on the postal system. There is very little incentive for Federal authorities to report positive tests on this substance, and every reason for them not to.

Given the upcoming Iranian Oil Bourse that will hit the dollar internationally, domestic financial activity, mainly consumer spending, will be its last support. It would be logical for the banking system to be a major target at this point, and this may be an indication that it is in fact under attack.

[edit on 25-2-2006 by DrVolin]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just because a roll of quarters came from the bank doesn't mean that it was rolled at the bank. Right now, it seems as if no one can get the facts straight, so the best thing to do is to wait and see. The girls are the "canaries in the mine," so to speak, and so far they are doing fine.

Authorities doubt that the whitish-brown powder found in a roll of quarters at the University of Texas at Austin is ricin because no one has shown symptoms of exposure to the powerful poison, an EMS spokesman said late Saturday afternoon.

edition.cnn.com

[edit on 2006/2/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Uhoh...that's not good. My sister goes to that college...

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hi guys,

White/Brown powders??

Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but Colleges and quarters??

I hope I'm correct in my assumption that those girls denials are tainted with some self-serving embarrassment!!

Here's hoping!
Keep Doping??

Regards

J

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Rather strange that a ricin vaccine was announced in North Texas just a few weeks ago and now we have this alleged discovery of ricin at the University of Texas.

Dallas human trial of ricin vaccine successful
DOR BioPharma Announces Positive Phase I Results of RiVax(TM), Its Vaccine Against Ricin Toxin
BioPharma Company profile

In the meanwhile, they're still debating what it is.
Tests on UT powder inconclusive for ricin; more tests needed

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   

"This is an act of terror, regardless of who carried it out."

I agree, an act of terror AND even if it does turn out to be a hoax. These 'acts' keep turning up anytime the heat is on the administration. Have you noticed?

But think of who else uses wrapped coins from the bank. Cash register operators at your check out, that's who. They open coin rolls on a regular basis, and maybe that's where the roll of quarters was intended to be found--in a cash drawer at the store?

At the local Walmart perhaps? Or maybe at the fast food counter? The coins change hands, contaminate the cash drawer, pass off to the customer and contaminate the food...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
They found RICIN, SO ??
Whats the big deal ? Its not like Ricin is very hard to synthesise is it ? Or this is the first time some collegue kids made something dangerous.
They have the knowledge and the facilites to make it, is it really so difficult to
believe that they wont try to make some on their own ?

Ricin in its raw form is so easily available that most people dont even think about it. Every Castor seed has both Ricin and RCA both of which are very toxic and both of which could be easily ingested unwittingly as pepper in food when they are crushed. They might not be as lethal as the things the CIA, chinese intelligence, Mossad use but it is close enough. If the castor bean is whole there is less probability that the person would get poisioned as the ricin is inside, so crushing it fine would really get the it in and it looks just like pepper crushed up! some people even have chains, bracelets made of castor beans and they wouldnt even know they are carring along ricin.Also you get bags of these castor seeds where they sell agricultural seed so its available in plain sight where one Castor bean would be enough to kill an infant.

Heck, when I was in college junior year, the chemical engineering guys would frequnetly mix up nitro, napalm, potassium iodide etc for fun. Obviously they knew the risks but that isnt a detterence is it when you are in college ?

Today, knowledge is truly power !

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
well I ALWAYS get my coins tested for possible toxic substances, don't you?

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
White powder/ Red powder , whats the difference ?

Its all a one way ride anyway!

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
CNN News Sunday, February 26, 2006; Posted: 4:58 p.m. EST

FBI: Substance in Texas poison scare not ricin

That is all. No news what it was.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
LOL...so what was it, laundry detergent that gave a positive reading initially? This may be nothing, but the good ol' FBI has been keeping college threats on the downlow for a while. What about the student from Ohio (Or wherever) that was going to blow himself up at a football game, but detonated early. He had Jihad materials in his apartment but the FBI claimed it was lost.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Reading through the story, I have to wonder how/why these college students would discern that the powder substance found was something that could possibly be lethal

I know that paranoia is rampant, but it just doesn't seem like something that would cause a great stir with some 19 year old college girls.

top topics

join