It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian and USA Aircraft Carriers in 1980

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I am doing a project and I need some help.

What were the wing load out of Russian and USA aircraft carriers in 1980? I need the number of aircrafts each carrier held and what aircrafts were they.

Anymore info would be great.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
U.S. Navy (1980)

F-14A Tomcat - 12
F-14A Tomcat - 12 (TARPS)
A-7E Corsair II - 12
A-7E Corsair II - 12
A-6E Intruder TRAM - 10
KA-6D Tanker - 4
EA-6B Prowler - 4
E-2C Hawkeye - 4
S-3A Viking - 10
SH-3H Sea King - 6

or:

F-4S Phantom II - 12
F-4S Phantom II - 12
A-7E Corsair II - 12
A-7E Corsair II - 12
A-6E Intruder TRAM - 10
KA-6D Tanker - 4
EA-6B Prowler - 4
E-2C Hawkeye - 4
S-3A Viking - 10
SH-3H Sea King - 6

And if necessary:

EA-3B Skywarrior
RF-8G Crusader

Soviet Navy coming up...

[edit on 15-2-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Soviet Navy (1980):

Kiev-class CVH:

13 Yak-38 "Forger"
17 Ka-25 "Hormone" or Ka-27/29 "Helix"

Moskova-class CGH:

14 Ka-25 "Hormone"

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Did Nimitiz and all other USA carrier have the same load out? Whats the load out poer every carrier? Also what carriers were there?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
Did Nimitiz and all other USA carrier have the same load out? Whats the load out poer every carrier? Also what carriers were there?

There were four classes of carriers in 1980, the Midway-class, Forrestal-class, Kitty Hawk-class, John F. Kennedy-class, Enterprise-class, and Nimitz-class. With the exception of Midway, all the carriers had pretty much the same composition. The only exception was that due to their size, the Nimitz could carry up to 90 aircraft in addition to the standard 86 and the Enterprise could carry over 100 due to it's length. Also, the Forrestal normally carried 10 less aircraft due to a need to store fuel oil.

As of November 26, 1980, the Midway-class' air wing looked like this:

F-4J Phantom II - 12
F-4J Phantom II - 12
A-7E Corsair II - 12
A-7E Corsair II - 12
A-6E Intruder TRAM - 10
KA-6D Tanker - 4
E-2B Hawkeye - 4
EA-6B Prowler - 4
RF-4B Phantom - 2
SH-3G Sea King - 4

Here's a list of the carriers operational at the time:

Midway-class

CV-41 Midway
CV-43 Coral Sea

Forrestal-class

CV-59 Forrestal
CV-60 Saratoga
CV-61 Ranger
CV-62 Independence

Kitty Hawk-class

CV-63 Kitty Hawk
CV-64 Constellation
CV-66 America

Enterprise-class

CVN-65 Enterprise

John F. Kennedy-class

CV-67 John F. Kennedy

Nimitz-class

CVN-68 Nimitz
CVN-69 Dwight D. Eisenhower

[edit on 15-2-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Thanks sweatmonicaIdo.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I added a list of each individual carrier operational at the time just now. It was added as an edit.

If I can ask, what project are you doing? Sounds very interesting.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Another thing.

Does anyone know the inventory of USSR and USA in 1980?

I need to know how many troops each had, how many tanks, ships, aircrafts ,etc

Any help would be great.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I added a list of each individual carrier operational at the time just now. It was added as an edit.

Its just some research on what each country had and to compare the military might of each. Also it might be used for a game that will be based in 1980s. A RPG.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Another thing.

Any help would be great.

USSR is gonna be real tough. You'll probably know this better than me, Russia is pretty bad at giving away historical data.

Even for the U.S., I can only give very rough estimates at most, which will probably be highly inaccurate because production times for many systems varies a lot. Even with ships, I'd be leaving out a lot of important support vessels.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

Its just some research on what each country had and to compare the military might of each. Also it might be used for a game that will be based in 1980s. A RPG.

Any particular reason you chose 1980? Why not the height of the Cold War (1984 - 1988)?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
No really particular reason. Just started with it and ran with it.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Another thing.

Any help would be great.
well, since it's for an RPG, I guess relative proportions might be useful, even if I don't have any solid figures for you.

The Soviet Union always had an advantage in terms of manpower, so Soviet troop levels were always higher. I'm also fairly certain the Soviet Union had more tanks, but I do not know if either side had any real advantage in numbers of ships/planes.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Travellar

Another thing.

Any help would be great.
well, since it's for an RPG, I guess relative proportions might be useful, even if I don't have any solid figures for you.

The Soviet Union always had an advantage in terms of manpower, so Soviet troop levels were always higher. I'm also fairly certain the Soviet Union had more tanks, but I do not know if either side had any real advantage in numbers of ships/planes.

Very true, but it goes far beyond that. Aircraft use rates probably favored the west, by a factor of about 3 to 1. Soviet/Russian aircraft engines had typically less than half the hour life western aircraft had, and the Gulf Wars both showed how the western aircraft could "turn" in incredible time to be outbound again in short order. Utility rates of something like 90 percent were common. That will be like having many more aircraft than you would under Soviet utility rates.

Also, resupply of bases with fuel, parts, and high tech support also favor the west. So any numerical advantages the Soviets had would be offset by western efficency and resupply.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Glad to see you are still alive Russian. Have not seen you for a few years.

By the way, during the 80's the U.S. had naval superiority.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sandman11
Also, resupply of bases with fuel, parts, and high tech support also favor the west. So any numerical advantages the Soviets had would be offset by western efficency and resupply.

Nothing could be further from the truth. NATO had large stocks of war supplies availiable in Germany, but these were enough to only sustain them for about a few weeks of high-level combat. Everything else had to come by sea from the U.S. and this would take a lot of time, time that was simply not availiable if faced with an invasion of such great magnitude.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
By the way, during the 80's the U.S. had naval superiority.

We are still in 1980, the U.S. has a few years before they truly gain that naval superiority you refer to.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
First off the US navy did not have "naval superiority" ( whatever that is) after the early 1970's and never regained it untill the USSR decided to fold.

About the aircraft carriers the USSR only deployed them to serve as mobile ASW platforms for their SSBN's and for whatever limited fleet protection the Yak's could manage.

Stellar

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
While the US pretty much always has 12 in commision, 11 sea worthy while 1 is under long term overhaul, and typicly no less than 5-6 at sea.

Still, Naval supiriority didn't REALLY get put strongly in the US's favor until after the commisioning of the USS Ticonderoga in 1983. Even then, you'd have to consider the effects of that ship building program didn't really weigh in for a few years until more ships of the class had been built.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Travellar
While the US pretty much always has 12 in commision, 11 sea worthy while 1 is under long term overhaul, and typicly no less than 5-6 at sea.

There are VERY rarely ( if ever) 5-6 ready for action as half of those are probably working up ( training crews and testing equipment) for deployment or sailing to or from station. You need 12 carriers to have 2 or 3 deployed/on station at any one time given nothing goes wrong.

Still, Naval supiriority didn't REALLY get put strongly in the US's favor until after the commisioning of the USS Ticonderoga in 1983.

The threat was mainly from below the water so air defense was not going to save the USN imo. That being said the Aegis system which was supposed to save the USN , from at least air threats, was never properly tested as senate commision revealed some time later.

Even then, you'd have to consider the effects of that ship building program didn't really weigh in for a few years until more ships of the class had been built.

With the system being what it was numbers of ships would not have helped much....

Stellar

<<   2 >>

join