It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi Governing Council recognized by OPEC?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 09:52 PM
link   
OPEC met today and discussed Iraq. While watching some CSPAN, General Myers slipped it in real quick...

OPEC TO DISCUSS IRAQ'S STATUS: OPEC oil ministers will hold talks today on whether to recognize
Iraq as a full member, after failing to come to an agreement at a late-night meeting Tuesday,
Venezuela's oil minister said. Ten of the 11 members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting
Countries, all except Iraq, met to discuss whether Iraq should be given full membership status
and allowed to attend today's formal meeting. Venezuela's oil minister, Rafael Ramirez, has said
OPEC should hold off giving Iraq full status until the United Nations recognizes the U.S.-appointed
Iraqi Governing Council as the legitimate government.

General Meyers

In terms of political recognition, the Governing Council is now recognized with seats
in the Arab League and in OPEC.

He doesn't say if they granted the GC full membership.
Anyone else catch Rumsfeld' and Myer's press conference on CSPAN?

www.defenselink.mil...

[Edited on 3-10-2003 by kukla]

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Of course they're going to give Iraq back full membership, they've got one of the biggest Oil reserves in the world and were one of the main founders of OPEC. Now they got themselves out of there 'past unpleasantness' (copyright British Empire:- God knows when - 1945.) What's stopping them?

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I am quite frankly surprised that OPEC allowed Iraq back in.

it is widely viewed in OPEC that Iraq is nothing more than a US puppet organization giving the US much more direct access to the decision made by OPEC.

I am still very intersted in the CIA assassination attempt against the president of Venezuela over this...

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
What really bothers me is the press corps. Not one goon even bothered to follow up.

The video is on cspan.org for those interested. Rummy got quite animated today...

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Here's Iraq's Oil production in relation to OPEC 98' - 00.
It's production is only going to increase now.
A valued member I would think.

Money Money Money.

[Edited on 3-10-2003 by kegs]

new topics

top topics

join