It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Rice calls for UN to act on Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called for the United Nations to take action against Iran. The call comes after Iran broke the seals on their nuclear material. She believes Iran's defiance is a sign of possible future hostilities. Iran denies claims of the material being used for weapons, but rather for power.

www.msnbc.msn.com
"BERLIN - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, coordinating with European allies, urged the United Nations on Thursday to confront Iran’s “defiance” and demand that Tehran halt its nuclear program. "

"Rice did not spell out other possible moves against Iran. But she said she was “gravely concerned” about Tehran’s secret operations and “its dangerous defiance of the entire international community.”

"International impatience with Iran has grown since the country broke U.N. seals on its uranium enrichment plant Tuesday and said it was resuming nuclear research after a two-year freeze."
"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally, I don't know what to think about Iran. Part of me believes they are going for nuclear weapons, msot likely to use against Israel, but part of me also believes they genuinely just want the power for their country. It seems kind of hypocritical to me that the US demands Iran to stop it's nuclear production yet we have our thousands of warheads stockpiled with possibly, secretly, more being made. I think we should just let this sit over and observe some more before going for the panic button.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So has Tony Blair:

Blair Wants Iran Brought Before the UN Security Council

And it looks like Russia at least won't block it:

Russia Hardens Tone on Iran, Says Won’t Block US Efforts

Looks like Iran will be going to the Council...what ends up happening there is a completely different story though.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yes, we'll have to wait until after the U.N. Security Council has seen all the misrepresented satellite photos and heard the voice recording claiming to be the discussion of an impending Iranian attack on the free world, but in all likelihood was an Iranian Stop 'n' Go owner telling his teenage, pimple-faced employee to shut off the Slurpee machine for the night.

Peace

[edit on 12-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Sad to say, sometimes, we ( The US Govt) are the BAD +GUYS.

Some of the things we do are for pure power, and not for the greater good.
'Civilized countries have nuclear power, and we never threaten to invade or attack> Why now? We need to do onething at a time and have some closure on IraQ then, TALK with IraN...

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Iran is going against IAEA regulations and resuming research and collecting of weapons grade nuclear material. Their leader has recently stated he wants to wipe Isreal off the map, and they are a supporter of terror activities in Palestine and through Syria. They are to go before the UN council for their actions.

Where is the US bieng the bad guy? Can we at least try to substantiate evidence before blatant commments about the evil of America.

Take a look at the history of Iran, and there ever changing stance on the west.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I looked at this headline on CNN and literally said, out loud "Oh no." This sounds like the beginings of another war in the mideast. It is nearly a mirror image of the politics involved pre-Operation Iraqi Freedom. I'd say that before March (close to the time Operation Iraqi Freedom started) we'll see another war, or some sort of military action inside of Iran's borders.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
"Can we at least try to substantiate evidence before blatant commments about the evil of America."

Can we at least supply evidence Iran is going to use the nukes for evil? It's like in 12 angry men, when juror #3 says he's gonna kill #8. #8 says he didn't really mean it which he didn't. He sais he was going to kill him because he was angry. he would never have really killed the guy. Perhaps Ahmadinejad was just pissed at Israel for no reasojn that day. We all get mad at someone for no reason occasionaly, doesn't mean we're going to do anything. People do just say things to be "tough" you know.

This isn't something we should drag them into right yet. We investigate further to find out true intentions. Pulling them into the UN could be more disastrous than we think. If they feel threatened there, they will keep going, and probably quicken their production. They gotta establish themselves as a power somehow. Hoever, I will agree, threatening the world with a possible nuclear war isn't the way to do it.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The intro is actually a little misleading. The way the author worded it makes it look it was Rice asking that this be done and that was not the case. (Just a poor choice of words on the authors part which is no big deal we all do it from time to time.) What actually took place was Rice came out agreeing with GB, UN, Russia and other EU nations.

Just why some want to now turn this into the US are the bad guys is beyond me. :shk:

[edit on 1/12/2006 by shots]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Oh sorry, I got the impression from the article that rice was asking for this. Must've skipped some important stuff over reading to fast. That's the only problem with being a fast reader, you miss so much.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by isisinanna
Sad to say, sometimes, we ( The US Govt) are the BAD +GUYS.

Some of the things we do are for pure power, and not for the greater good.
'Civilized countries have nuclear power, and we never threaten to invade or attack> Why now? We need to do onething at a time and have some closure on IraQ then, TALK with IraN...

So I guess Iran is "not the bad guy" when their president has proclaimed that "Israel must be wiped off the map" and have spouted other rethoric about war and destruction for Israel and the U.S...

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
yes...go to the UN. they have the balls to do something about this

cause when i think world organization with the spine to follow through with something i think of the UN

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
This isn't something we should drag them into right yet. We investigate further to find out true intentions. Pulling them into the UN could be more disastrous than we think. If they feel threatened there, they will keep going, and probably quicken their production. They gotta establish themselves as a power somehow. Hoever, I will agree, threatening the world with a possible nuclear war isn't the way to do it.

So it is alright for a regime to acquire nuclear technology which can be used to make nuclear weapons and their president, and other regime officials, have continuously called for the destruction of Israel, and there have been statements including from their military that "They have several targets already picked in the west and are just waiting for their president to give their armed forces the go ahead to attack", etc, etc.?

i think some people will only see as evidence of the true intentions of the regime of Iran to get nuclear technology when an atomic bomb detonates in Israel, and even then some people might claim that some radical Israeli did it, or even the U.S. government.

[edit on 12-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
idk how people automatically say well they are going for nukes.

first, they volentarily shut down all nuclear research and activity. it isnt required by the NPT to shut down peaceful nuclear research and work, but they did anyway because we requested them to. its been over a year and we still have nothing but speculation. simply iran is tired of waitin for us to say "well....we didnt find anything" so they got tired and went and opened their research back up. not even anything with enriching uranium either. media plays it out like right now they are making the weapons.

second, we got israel which as i understand is trigger happy with the nuclear button as soon as anything pops off. that includes pre emptive and aggresive strikes on iran and russia(for backing such places) IMHO israel seems like a big danger for starting a nuclear war. they will end up going in bombing irans reactors to hell and iran will retaliate with weapons, alot of conventional bombs and maybe bio and chem weapons, then israel will go nuclear and wipe iran off the map, and maybe russia because they will go all out nuclear. the whole "use em or loose em" bit.

third, israel is the point of conflict. move the jewish state out of a place full of hostile people who dont want them there and you will easily solve the problem. the jewish people didnt ask for the land...the UN said "well we will give you your piece of land for the jewish state...but we arent giving you our land(europe and russia) so will give you a part in the middle east" now what say did saudi arabia, iraq, syria and iran have in that? they didnt, which is why they are so pissed off now. further we got US backing them, which is why they hate us. move the jewish state to europe where it was suppose to be and the terrorist in the middle east will pretty much diminish.

fourth, if you think in any way thats racist you are ignorant. look up how israel came to be. realize for a minute, if israel wasnt there, the middle east would become stable. maybe when he says "wiped of the map" he could mean it literally, like on a map. wipe them off it or move it somewhere else. doesnt have to be nuclear just have it off their map.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
i think some people will only see as evidence of the true intentions of the regime of Iran to get nuclear technology when an atomic bomb detonates in Israel, and even then some people might claim that some radical Israeli did it, or even the U.S. government.

well lets put it this way, if that happens it wont matter, half of the eastern hemisphere will be nuked by that time. israel is so trigger happy its not even funny. if israel is hit with nukes, it will fire them everywhere. iran, egypt, russia, syria, pakastan. they will trigger a nuclear war. simply because they will go crazy with the nukes because of being nuked. without even knowing who caused it they would attack.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If Israel was so "trigger happy" they would have already used their nukes on Iran, yet they haven't.

You call Israel "trigger happy" because they respond by attacking places in Palestine where missiles are fired from to kill Israeli citizens?....

I guess Israel would be wiser if they allow terrorists from Palestine to continuously attack and kill Israelis withou any retribution huh?

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
no they are trigger happy because the only ways a full out nuclear was will really happen is by israel going fully nuclear (right now i mean) which is very possible considering they have no problem attacking irans nuclear reactors. if they do so they have made the first strike.

or terrorist attack with nuclear weapon maybe and they start going nuts with nukes. there will be no talks or diplomacy. no tracing it back to iran. just bombs flying out of israel

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
no they are trigger happy because the only ways a full out nuclear was will really happen is by israel going fully nuclear (right now i mean) which is very possible considering they have no problem attacking irans nuclear reactors. if they do so they have made the first strike.

i don't understand what you are trying to say. Attacking nuclear reactors and other nuclear related factories is not "going fully nuclear."

BTW, a "full nuclear war" would mean that Iran already has nukes.

Israel attacking these factories, if negotiations and reasoning with the regime of Iran doesn't work, is "self defense." Israel is a small country, and one nuclear weapon would probably be enough to destroy most of Israel.

If the regime of Iran hadn't made so many threats and they hadn't help terrorists attack Israel and Israeli citizens, I would say there is no reason to think that Iran doesn't want nuclear reactors for peaceful purposes. But the regime of Iran has made several threats against Israel and the west (including the U.S.) with rethoric about "total destruction."

I really hope that diplomatic venues work and the regime of Iran stops this nonsense, but if they don't I see Israel attacking those nuclear factories only as self defense.

---Edited to add---
I know there are some people that are willing to take the risk of Iran having nuclear technology which has dual purpose, but I also notice that all of these people who are willing to take this risk don't live in Israel.....

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
yea self defense, right. like i said israel will attack them so iran will attack back with massive amount of weapons, then israel will throw nukes around, its as simple as that. it doesnt matter if iran has nukes or not. if they are making peaceful nuclear energy or not, israel will bomb them if they arent stopped. whether they came out and said it or not doesnt matter, they still would be bombed.

like i said find the root and you can end the problem forever. you dont look that deep though, you just scratch at the surface everytime theres and itch. it keeps coming back because we have a internal problem that is deeper the the surface. we dont deal with it though because we repeatedly fail to reconize it.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Each non-nuclear-weapon State Party to the Treaty undertakes to accept safeguards, as set forth in an agreement to be negotiated and concluded with the International Atomic Energy Agency in accordance with the Statute of the International Atomic Energy Agency and the Agencys safeguards system, for the exclusive purpose of verification of the fulfillment of its obligations assumed under this Treaty with a view to preventing diversion of nuclear energy from peaceful uses to nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices. Procedures for the safeguards required by this article shall be followed with respect to source or special fissionable material whether it is being produced, processed or used in any principal nuclear facility or is outside any such facility. The safeguards required by this article shall be applied to all source or special fissionable material in all peaceful nuclear activities within the territory of such State, under its jurisdiction, or carried out under its control anywhere.

here lies the problem, they havent negotiated an agreement which verifies their fulfillment to the npt, therefore violating the treaty and hiding their program which they publicly admitted to was a violation of the npt as it is, they've violated it twice now, what more is needed to take action? 3, 4, 5 or 10 violations of the npt?

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
so rice just made a speech backing europe to be refferd to the UN
what good will it do?

1. Russia/China can just as easily Veto anything thrown at Iran
2. there is no Rule that states Iran cannot produce its own fuel

[edit on 13-1-2006 by bodrul]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join