It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Two deaths in Turkey confirmed as H5N1.

Getting closer me thinks. Time to stock up with Propolis and Omega 3 and boost that immune system.

Be prepared.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Sky News

At least 32 people are now suspected to have caught bird flu in Turkey.

World Health Organisation experts have flown to the country to look for any signs of much-feared human-to-human transmission of the lethal disease.

British laboratory tests have already confirmed that three children from the same family were killed by the deadly H5N1 flu strain.

This does not look like good news.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This whole outbreak sounds serious -

1st recorded occurence in humans outside of SE Asia and the numbers involved -
be interesting to see if the genetics of the strain have changed or not...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Perhaps i should stop smoking before its to late.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Geeze this is getting scary. I didn't realize it was in Turkey thanks for posting information. I've been stocking up on some can food not only because of H5N1 but natural disaster as well.
On the WHO website they have a scale from 1-6, 6 being worst and were at 3 already.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Yes the situation in Turkey is rather worrying. I dont mean any offence but i think its a bit odd that a country named after a bird (Turkey) could well be the place where human to human transmission originated?? Should we read anything into that? Or is it just coincidence?
But back to the bird flu. We as a human race have been overdue a mass pandemic for quite a while so i am not surprised to see that we seem to be on the verge of one now. Might watch that brilliant film 28 Days Later to remind myself of the what if factor !

I'll be watching developments in Turkey with interest. If Turkey does start showing signs of human-human transmissions can the country be "sealed off" put in quarantine so to speak? What would happen?

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
If Turkey does start showing signs of human-human transmissions can the country be "sealed off" put in quarantine so to speak? What would happen?

Would it matter to put Turkey into quarantine? They got it from the birds, the birds are still migrating. Would it do anything more than slow the spread?

Anyway, aren't people contagious from most contagious disease before they show symptoms? What quarantine would be effective if it happens without all people being prevented from "migrating" first anyway.

As for human to human transmission, there is still speculation that some of the prior human infections might have been, but it was hushed up pretty fast.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Unfortunately this does nothing for us. We can't tell if it was transmitted person to person from the family because it's possible either way.

Either the children who were in the same family got it from each other, or they all caught it from the same birds. It's too difficult to tell.

This leaves it as speculation as to whether human to human transmission is possible yet.

Tough situation but the mystery goes on.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Iran now closing its border with Turkey.
I dont really see the point of this but im sure the Iranians will feel a little safer.
I dont know the exact math but it must be just a matter of time before the strain mutates with existing influenza, and booom.
Stocking up as i speak.

Good luck all.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Hahaha! I think Iran closing it's border with Turkey is just an excuse by Iran, they have worries about an attack by USA, they could not give a too hoots if their people dropped dead of bird flu!

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Turkey..hmmmm

This flu has always been around, what is unusual about this flu is that it has legs and "travels" first class. hint hint.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The people who have been infected have had close contact with poultry.

We do not have such contact with our poultry, and it hasn't made the big jump.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I think im right in saying that all the virus is waiting for is to infect someone who already has a strain of influenza transmissable human to human and to interact with its cells.
As more people become infected the chances of this occuring increase. It will probably be some businessman gets off a plane in Asia with a mild flu, does his business and returns home not knowing he has created a new strain, and kerboom.

This will be a global problem within weeks.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jehova620
I think im right in saying that all the virus is waiting for is to infect someone who already has a strain of influenza transmissable human to human and to interact with its cells.
As more people become infected the chances of this occuring increase. It will probably be some businessman gets off a plane in Asia with a mild flu, does his business and returns home not knowing he has created a new strain, and kerboom.

This will be a global problem within weeks.

Not only that - it is likely that the virus that caused the pandemic in 1918 made the jump straight from birds to humans ie adapted without the need for combining with normal flu. (the two flus that combined '57 and '68 were much milder in comparison)

What worries is me is the short time and the compartively large numbers (I know they are small but Asia has had this virus since 97 and only 140 ish recorded cases and Turkey has had the virus since Oct / November and has had five definite cases and up to fifty possibly infected ... Either we're getting good at spotting it or it is becoming more virulent...

[edit on 10-1-2006 by hands]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
what can we do though.
I bought some tamiflu off the net. Days later it was revealled it didnt work.
A virus expert on TV recommended daily consumption of anti-botic / viral drugs to build "a wall of defence" within the body.
I dont want traditional drug because they kill all the cells responsible for defence as well as any attacking virus so im on a daily dose of propolis, natural anti - vira drug. I dont even know if it will help.
Lets hope it disappears naturally, but i fear not. Funny how you fear the big things when the small ones seem deadlier.

new topics

top topics

join