It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Justice Dept seeks to dismiss Guantanamo Base detainee cases. (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The US justice Department filed notice that they will seek dismissal of the cases against many detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. This comes shortly after the passing of a law by Congress that re-inforces the ban on cruel and inhumane treatment of prisoners. Of about 500 prisoners held on the base, the Justice Dept. will seek to dismiss about 180 cases.

today.r euters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department will seek to dismiss more than 180 cases involving inmates at Guantanamo Bay who have challenged their detention in court, court documents showed on Tuesday.

The department filed a notice to judges presiding over the cases at the U.S. District Court in Washington to advise them that by the end of next week the Justice Department would file official motions to dismiss the cases.

The notice comes a week after President George W. Bush signed new legislation banning cruel and inhumane treatment of prisoners. The anti-torture law also curbs the ability of prisoners being held at the U.S. Naval Base in Cuba to challenge their detention in federal court.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have a couple of things came to mind while reading this story. My first thought was ABOUT TIME! The Guantanamo Bay situation needs to be resolved yesterday and this will be a good start. IMHO, if the detainees are guilty, try them and send them to prison, if they are not guilty (or cannot be PROVEN guilty) let them go. Simple as that.

My second thought was this seems to be a fairly good compromise between the two opposing camps that have held up progress on resolving these cases. One faction has been adamant that all the detainees should be tried in civilian courts where they have the right to a speedy and public trial. The opposing side maintained that the detainees were actually prisoners of war, and subject to military justice. The recently signed law (which was initially opposed by the administration) combines these two points of view by guaranteeing the detainees right to appeal the verdict given by a military court in the civilian appeals courts. That seems to cover all the bases.

Once again, I am very excited that some movement (ANY movement!) is finally forthcoming on the detainee issue. Regardless of which side of the debate you are on, I'm sure we can agree on that!

Regards
Montana

[edit on 1/3/2006 by Montana]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I agree that it is about time to get these cases over with. How long has it been since the first one? The only problem I have is if these guys down there are let go, where do they get sent? And wouldnt they be pretty ticked off at being kept prisoners, mad enough to try and kill more innocent civilians across the world, probably Americans seeing how we kept them. I do assume that the U.S. Government will be keeping a very close eye on them, if they are ever released.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'd agree with this only on one condition. The condition of if there is a reasonable doubt of their guilt.

But let's look at the reason they're there.

THEY WERE CAUGHT IN AL-QUAEDA TRAINING CAMPS!!!

Camps designed to train its student in techniques on how to kill, maim and terrorize the free worlds children and mothers!

Justice Dept., get your head out your [deleted] for crying out loud!

LET THEM ROT WHERE THEY SIT!!!

join