It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a new life for the A-10?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
they are now fitting hellfires on wingpods for the A-10 to be carried 4 to a pod. also retrofits on its targeting comp to acomadate for multaple launches of said missles. so is this a sign that the aircraft that was saposed to b decommissioned 10 years ago is staying around for another go?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Thats great news...Any photos circulating?
A bit like fitting Brimstone to Tornados/Harriers/Eurofighter

www.army-technology.com...

The new A-10C....

www.warthogpen.com...

[edit on 31-12-2005 by Jezza]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I was very glad to hear about this!!! This is the very bird I want to fly after I get out of college. It is most admirable in its durability and its ability to support the boys on the ground, which I find most rewarding. This plane saves soldiers lives and I would love to see it be around until 2050 if possible. Its cannon and durable airframe are what make it truely great and worthy of admiration from everyone.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well, the A-10 is a plane without a match at the moment... its really good news that it gets another "life"...

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Funny you should mention the UK Brimstone programme Jezza, the upgraded fire control system for the A-10 upgrade is by BAE.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Its strange they want to retire the one aircraft that perfectly suits the current needs of the US military.

The A-10 is an aircraft no other can fill the role of to the same efficiency (apart from maybe the frogfoot).

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Congress recently approved extending the life of the A-10 to at least 2008. The expected service life for Air Force A-10's is (as of now) 2028. Several upgrades are included in this projection, such as the HOG-UP program.

Take a look here.
A-10 life extension

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think throughout its current service life the Warthog has suffered from not being "sexy" enough in terms of its image among the higher echelons of the USAF,ie it aint a fast mover

Not sure what action it has served in Iraq and Afghanistan so if anyone has any links post them here tia

[edit on 31-12-2005 by bmdefiant]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
i have a pic from a friend that works out there and is a AE student at ERAU but to admit my stupidaty and lack of programing skills i dont know how to post a pic on a forum like this i would b happy to share many pics if some one would tell me how to do so. im so glad to see that the old hog has such a folowing kick ass. till 08 aparently then what?

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
alright here is one of the first pods its only loaded with 2 the ones proposed would hold 4

photobucket.com...

top topics

join