It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient History: More then meets the eye?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have been a big fan of Graham Hancock since I read "Fingerprints of the Gods". If you have ever read anything that he has written, you will see for your selves that his writing is concise, based (for the most part) on sound research, and he doesn't lead the reader to any outlandish conclusions. His approach is more of a deconstruction of traditional archaeology in which he provides the reader facts and allows them to make their own conclusions.

His basic argument is that civilization stretches back much further then what we have been led to believe. He also theorizes that many ancient structures are astrolonomically aligned with the constellations as they were in 10 500 BC. Some of the structures he mentions are the great pyramids, angkor wat, the pyramids of China just to name a few.

"Modern" archaeologists of course find his theories to be a outlandish fantasies and they steadfastly argue that modern civilizations didn't arise until around 5000 BC in mesopotamia. These archaeologists surmise that the rise of civilization was due to the emergence of switching from a nomadic lifestyle into a sedintary one. This shift gave way to modern agriculture and boom, civilization began.

There are many legends of lost continents and lands, Atlantis, Lemuria and MU, but again modern archaology says, nope, just legends pure and simple. Time and time again these PHD wielding, arm-chair archaologists are being proven wrong, yet somehow their theories are allowed to stay in tact. Yes, nobody wants their life's work to be proven wrong, and thus I can understand their resistance to letting a guy like Hancock come along and disembowell their research, but when will their be some light shed on this issue in the mainstream media!?

Now, I am not saying that Hancock has it all figured out, but I can say with some confidence that he is on to something. Something BIG. His research has taken him to places where no archaeologists dare go; underwater. And did he find ancient structures? Yes, he did. Off the coast of Japan and in the bay of Cambray in India. The freaky thing about these megalithic structures is that for them to have been built on land it would have had to have been done a long time ago, 10000BC at least?

So I guess what I am trying to say here is; is history as we know it fundamentally wrong? How can we know where we are going in the future if we don't even know where we've been? I think there is a big, black hole where the ancient past is concerned. And I guess if you want to take it to the next level, is this subject being avoided for a reason?

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by robinm
I think there is a big, black hole where the ancient past is concerned. And I guess if you want to take it to the next level, is this subject being avoided for a reason?

Avoided for a reason? I think so...once a theory has been established by the research of the last century or so, it becomes increasingly difficult to change.

I'm a big fan of Hancock myself and am just waiting until his new book, Supernatural goes down in price a bit. My wife is reading Underworld right now and I'll be getting it after she's done, because she loves his writing as well.

Here's the Hancock website, if you haven't seen it yet...

LINK

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I did see a special on the History Channel about these mysterious structures off the coast of Japan. They dated back many years before the Great Pyramid and brought up big questions. Ive always questioned how far back organized civilizations have gone. Why were so many buildings built with great precision, and detail. It seems that they were much smarter than we believe. I want to pick up a copy of that book.

Just a question, is that a picture of you? Nice helmet

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have several of Hancocks books and I wholeheartedly recommend them to everybody who has an open mind.

But I still wouldn't go as far as to claim that the history as we know it is fundamentally wrong. There is a certain resistance to change, however, which is in my opinion very prevalent in current established egyptology.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Masqua, thanks for posting the link...

here it is again.

www.grahamhancock.com...

nonpoint, sorry dude that isn't me... it's "Bubbles" from a Canadian show called The Trailer Park Boys. (I think a US network wanted to buy it but the producers wouldn't sell it because they wanted to keep the swearing and drug themes good and alive!)

But I still wouldn't go as far as to claim that the history as we know it is fundamentally wrong. There is a certain resistance to change, however, which is in my opinion very prevalent in current established egyptology.

I guess "fundamentally" might not be the best word to use, but if we have a whole ERA of civilization that we don't know about, and nobody is looking at it seriously then we have a "serious" gap in history.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by robinm
Masqua, thanks for posting the link...

Hey, Bubbles...er, robinm...you're welcome.

btw...I think you could carry what we really know about history in a Zehrs shopping cart...as long as the wheels are good.

top topics

join