It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian TU-160 Blackjack..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Oh yes, I certainly do and I didnt mean to suggest the Russians were the only ones to do this.

Obviously the Americans have taken those big square inlets, tails and high wings from the MiG-25, though the performance is completly differant.

Like with B-1A and TU-160, it was B-1A (cancelled) from which is claimed that Russians took some tricks and tips to the TU-160.. (and not from the B-1B that is operational at USAF.)

But i really cant see the similarities between these two.

B-1A.

TU-160.

To me the TU-160 looks like Concorde, if i must compare it to some other aircraft.

More on TU-160 here.

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Yeah I suppose you're right if looking at the side. Have a look at that first pic you posted and a pic of the B1 in the same pose, and I think you'll see what Im talking about ( If I can make sense at 0300 lol)

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Yeah I suppose you're right if looking at the side. Have a look at that first pic you posted and a pic of the B1 in the same pose, and I think you'll see what Im talking about ( If I can make sense at 0300 lol)

You really should get some sleep, it is only 1820 here.. so my perception is fine.

In real world last US / USSR aircrafts that had same design were F-86 Sabre / MiG-15/17..
as these were all copies of same German Focke-Wulf Ta 183 'Huckebein'.

*note*

Also the TU-16 was much improved TU-4.. ineffect a B-29.. But these were last.

[Edited on 19-9-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Im on night shift, so Ill be awake for another 4 hours at least.
LOL

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Im on night shift, so Ill be awake for another 4 hours at least.
LOL

On a night shift hunting for similarities between TU-160 and B-1A?

There is btw intressting article on the Airforces Monthly (september 2003) about joint Russo-Hindu war exercise.
To which 4 TU-160s took part.

(indra 2003)

TU-160s were used to reconnoitre the route to the India Ocean missile release point for the two designated TU-95MS Bear-H live missile carriers, as well as to carry out the simulated missile launches.

10000km trip lasted 12 hours.

From Engels to Indian Ocean and back.

With one AARF.

(air to air refuel.)

From 3 IL-78 Tankers. :up

[Edited on 19-9-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   

On a night shift hunting for similarities between TU-160 and B-1A?

Nothing better to do!

Thats interesting with the 10000km round trip. Do you know if they double crew on a long flight like that?

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Dont know, but there is 4 crew members in TU-160.. maybe the pilots took 'turns'..

Cause as i would image the TU-160 Crew:

2x Pilot
1x Bombadier (also does the navigators duties..?)
1x 'Electronics' Officer (offensive and defensive jammers and communications..?)

But i dont know about that, im just guessing.

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
4 crew? Thats a bit on the low side. I would have thought there would be 6-8 crew.

Maybe in this case there were 3x pilots and 1x flight engineer because of the long distances. Im like you, just guessing here.

You realise that you and I make up most of this thread?

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 11:02 AM
link   

4 crew? Thats a bit on the low side. I would have thought there would be 6-8 crew.

Maybe in this case there were 3x pilots and 1x flight engineer because of the long distances. Im like you, just guessing here.

You realise that you and I make up most of this thread?

Yes, i do.. but Gaza has also posted alot here, but.. maybe we should cool this topic of and let others also post here, so that there would be something to talk about, and not just you and me using this in a kind of a 'TU-160 chit chat way'.

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If the admins dont mind, I cant see the problem with having a chat over the Tu160.

I might start a new topic on something then. Not sure what. I'll go have a look at what I can find.

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well, I think it's quite easy to see where similar ideas get thought up on opposite sides of the world. The Rafale, EF2000, Lavi and Mig-41 are all twin-engined (with the exception of the Lavi), canard-and-delta jobs. The "flying wings" that were the Go 229 the Nazis had and the YB-35/49 on our side were similar concepts but differed in execution. You can clearly see that the B-2's direct ancestor is the Go 229 / Ho IX. With the B-1 and Tu-160, well I don't know. I don't know much about them.

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 03:24 PM
link   
there is no such thing as a mig-41 i think you mean mig-1.44 [35/39]

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
MiG-41 Here!!!

MiG-41 - fictional advanced version of the MiG-29

Some MiG-41 also here!!!

Or can somebody prove otherwise?

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
just a toy mig, theres also mig ferret [forgot the name]

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Dont say an A/C doesnt exist, FULCRUM will prove you wrong!

I know this from experience!

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Actually, i could belive that the MiG-37 Ferret does exist, But the the MiG-41 is a hoax, as the isnt even proper model pics of it.

Pictures of the MiG-37 'Ferret' model are how ever fine.

Maybe MiG-37 'Ferret' does / did actually exist as a Russian stealht test platform,
or even maybe as an operational stealht strike fighter..

And these pics of 'MiG-37 Ferret' model do seem to me as something that could well be flying.

'MiG-41' however doesnt seem to even to be real (at any level).

(it may well be that 'MiG-41' name has been used by Mikoyan as a project name for a one of the MiG-29 versions that have got their electronics redone. But surely, its is nothing more.)

*edit*

I just realised, that 'MiG-37 Ferret' does exist for real, but it is not 'MiG', its a 'SU'.. 'S-37 Berkut'.

As there are these 'first pics' in west about Soviet/Russian aircraft.. remember what like was Ka-50 or MiG-29 at first at the drawings that were published in western aviation books.. (very inaccurate, thats what they were alike..) MiG-37 may well be a product of a such 'drawing' of S-37.. at the time when there were not much info around.. at least there is some similarities.. or are there?

[Edited on 20-9-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I remember that model. I think its in the same league as the F19 "stealth fighter" model of a few years back.

Pretty cool model it was too.

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I remember that model. I think its in the same league as the F19 "stealth fighter" model of a few years back.

Pretty cool model it was too.

'F-19' ended up as miss 'named' F-117, do you also remember that?

'F-19' turned out to be 'F-117', and 'MiG-37' turned out to be 'S-37 Berkut'? Ok?

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Yeah I remember that. Didnt end up looking much like the -117 did it though? LOL

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Yeah I remember that. Didnt end up looking much like the -117 did it though? LOL

It didnt, but the 'concept' was same.. kinda..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join