It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area's 1 throught 30 and Area 51 Information.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Here is a breif description of these areas around the infamous Area 51 and a breif description of area size and location. There is more detailed information on the link below about each area. This is some very interesting reading with some pictures of past testing and some of the buildings on those areas. I hope this sheads some light to some.

Area 1— As a part of the Nuclear Test Zone, this area occupies 70 km2 (27 mi2) near the center of the Yucca Flat weapons test basin.

Area 2 — This area, within the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies approximately 52 km2 (20 mi2) in the northern half of the Yucca Flat basin. ( Link has Some Pictures)

Area 3 — This portion of the Nuclear Test Zone occupies 82 km2 (32 mi2) near the center of the Yucca Flat weapons test basin and was the site of 17 atmospheric tests conducted between 1952 and 1958.

Area 4 — This area, within the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies 41 km2 (16 mi2) near the center of the Yucca Flat basin.

Area 5 — This area, within the Reserved Zone, occupies some 246 km2 (95 mi2) in the southeastern portion of the site and includes the Area 5 Radioactive Waste Management Site, the Hazardous Waste Storage Unit, and the Spill Test Facility.

Area 6 — This area occupies 212 km2 (82 mi2) between Yucca Flat and Frenchman Flat, straddling Frenchman Mountain

Area 7 — This area, within the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies 52 km2 (20 mi2 ) in the northeast quadrant of the Yucca Flat weapons test basin

Area 8 — This area, within the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies 34 km2 (13 mi2) in the northeast quadrant of the Yucca Flat weapons test basin

Area 9 — This area, within the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies 52 km2 (20 mi2 ) in the northeast quadrant of the Yucca Flat weapons test basin

Area 10 — This area, incorporated in the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies 54 km2 (21 mi2) in the northeast quadrant of the Yucca Flat weapons test basin.

Area 11 — This area, which is split among the Nuclear Test and Reserved Zones, occupies 67 km2 (26 mi2) along the eastern border of the NTS

Area 12 — This area, within the Nuclear or High Explosive Test Zone, occupies 104 km2 (40 mi2) at the northern boundary of the NTS known as Rainier Mesa.
Just Reveled In a nondescript mustard-colored building that was once a military recreation hall and barbershop, the Pentagon has built a biological warfare factory that could make enough lethal microbes to wipe out entire cities

Area 13 — Officially, there is no Area 13 within the NTS boundary; however, there is a land plot on the Nellis Air Force Range [NAFR] Complex, known as NAFR Complex Area 13, which lies off the northeast corner of the NTS.
This was the location for a plutonium-dispersal safety experiment conducted in early 1957.
The only future DOE activities that would occur in this area would involve environmental restoration

Area 14 - Unknown

Area 15 — This Reserved Zone area occupies 96 km2 (37 mi2) at the northeast corner of the NTS, and no atmospheric tests were conducted at this location. However, between early 1962 to mid-1966, three underground nuclear tests were carried out in Area 15.

Area 16— Area 16 — This area, within the Nuclear or High Explosive Test Zone, occupies 73 km2 (28 mi2) in the west-central portion of the NTS. No atmospheric tests have ever been conducted at this location

Area 17 — This area, within the Reserved Zone, occupies 80 km2 (31 mi2) in the north-central portion of the NTS

Area 18— Area 18 was the site of four nuclear weapons effects tests conducted in early mid-1962. This area, within the Reserved Zone, occupies 231 km2 (89 mi2) in the northwest quadrant of the NTS

Area 19—This area, within the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies 388 km2 (150 mi2) in the northwest corner of the NTS

Area 20 — This area, within the Nuclear Test Zone, occupies 388 km2 (150 mi2) in the northwest corner of the NTS.

Area 21 — There is no Area 21

Area 22 — Area 22 in the southeastern corner serves as the main entrance to the Nevada Test Site with vehicular access from Las Vegas via U.S. Highway 95

Area 23 – Unknown

Area 24— There is no Area 24 on the NTS. However, Las Vegas and North Las Vegas are sometimes referred to as Area 24.

Area 25 — This is the largest area on the NTS. It occupies some 578 km2 (223 mi2) in the southwestern corner of the site and includes an entrance gate to the NTS. Approximately 3 kilometers (2 miles) north of the town of Lathrop Wells

Area 26 — This area, within the Reserved Zone, occupies 57 km2 (22 mi2) in the south-central area of the NTS. No nuclear explosive tests were ever conducted at Area 26

Area 27— This area, within the Critical Assembly Zone, occupies 130 km2 (50 mi2) in the south-central portion of the NTS

Area 28— No longer in existence, the Area 28 designation formerly applied to a portion of the NTS that has since been absorbed into Areas 25 and 27

Area 29 — This area, within the Reserved Zone, occupies 161 km2 (62 mi2) on the west-central border of the NTS. The site of a communications repeater station for the NTS is located in the Shoshone Mountains

Area 30— This area, within the Reserved Zone, occupies 150 km2 (58 mi2) and, like Area 29, is on the western edge of the NTS. Area 30 also has fairly rugged terrain and includes the northern reaches of Fortymile Canyon. In the past,

Area's 31-50 - Unknown if any.

Area 51 – That’s a given

More information about these areas with map of area location. Just click on the area number on the map.
Link

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the descriptions. Interesting read!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Area 31 is a buffer zone for Yucca Mountain and is located adjacent to and just west of Area 25.

Area 11 contains Plutonium Valley, site of Project 56. Four plutonium dispersal "safety" shots were fired in Area 11 in 1956. This was lately the resting place of the Lockheed XF-90 fighter prototype until it was removed for restoration and eventual museum display.

I have visited nearly every Area within the NTS boundary. My first view of Groom Lake was from Area 12 in the summer of 1990.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Area 19 happens to have powerlines going into it that end in the middle of nowhere.

The maps show the line ending in the center of an unusual double ring of roads, a configuration not seen in other areas of the NTS. Strangely, there is no facility listed on any NTS document at the line's termination. Officially, there just isn't anything there

Speculation is open to what if anything goes on there.

www.shundahai.org...

[edit on 27-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
When we looked at the overheads and USGS tops for the Area 51 Research group, one notable absence was the lack of any power lines or the like going to the area. It is far more likely that power is supplied to the base rather than it generating it on its own as fuel would be a huge issue.

THe power station shown above may just be a sub station with underground transmission lines to Groom lake or some other location.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
THE OBVIOUS QUESTION :

are the power lines live ?

if you can get up to the fence surrounding the transormer - you can hear if its active

a possible answer would be that the power llines were put in for a facility that was then cancelled - and now the salvage value of the materials is less than the cost of up rooting them - this you have a powerline to nowhere

of course - the explaination that its the terminal for an powergrid that continues in a trench shoulds good to me -

the idea that its the power supply for an underground base is just crazy - no one would be that daft - would they ??????????

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

a possible answer would be that the power llines were put in for a facility that was then cancelled - and now the salvage value of the materials is less than the cost of up rooting them - this you have a powerline to nowhere

Some people think that it might have be the location of early tests with laser weapons and has since been adandoned and they never bothered to remove the power lines.

FredT made a good point , since there are no above ground lines going into Area 51. It has to get power some how and I would imagine Area 51 is quite power hungry.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
FredT made a good point , since there are no above ground lines going into Area 51. It has to get power some how and I would imagine Area 51 is quite power hungry.

What if they had one set of main lines going into the test site, and then had an underground distribution station? This would provide some protection against accidents that could affect the power grid for the test site. Also, when the Nevada Test Site was first built (sone time in the '40's) most of the testing was above ground.

Tim

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Area 51 appears to get its power through a cable running to a substation at the north end of the base.

The powerlines to Area 19 shouldn't be surprising. Pahute Mesa was used for underground nuclear tests. That sort of operation requires a great deal of electricity. The last time I visited Area 19 (about 8 years ago) things were pretty quiet. There has been no word of any new activities there.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I have a book at home that says that Area 30 is Tonapah Test Range, where the F-117 Nighthawk's used to be bases. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Tim

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Tonopah Test Range is listed in the Department of Energy phone directory as Area 52. I have also seen this designation for TTR elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
Tonopah Test Range is listed in the Department of Energy phone directory as Area 52.

Thanks Shadowhawk! that's all I wanted to know!

Tim

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
i did work at a miltary base and saw information that said area 52 is actually located at barksdale AFB

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Air Force area numbers have nothing to do with Department of Energy area numbers.

For example:

There is an Area 2 at Nellis Air Force Base, but it has absolutely no relation to Area 2 at the Nevada Test Site.

Both Groom Lake (Area 51) and Tonopah Test Range (Area 52) recieved their designations from the Atomic Energy Commission (predecessor to DoE), based on the system in use for numbering areas at NTS. Some of the numbers are relatively obscure. There are very few maps that show Area 13 and Area 31. I don't think I have ever seen Area 52 on a map, but it is listed in documents and DoE phone directories.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
area numbers are simply for zoning reasons, i live in an area, i don't know what it is but it's there, every place in the united states has an area number, groom lake just happened to fit into area 51

Velvet

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dobe
i did work at a miltary base and saw information that said area 52 is actually located at barksdale AFB

You are talking about Restricted Area/Restricted Air Space numbers. I don't know exactly how they work, but they are seprate from the test site area numbers. For example:

On a flight chart, Groom Lake is in Restricted Area 4808N (you can see it on any flight chart). However, as we all know, the Test site grid number for Groom Lake is Area 51. Two different numbers, same shadowy facility in the Nevada desert.

Tim

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Area 1 is Nellis AFB (main base), Area 2 is the far end of the base where the prison camp sits. Area 3 is the base hospital and the facilities behind it.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Knightmeir posted: "Area 1 is Nellis AFB (main base), Area 2 is the far end of the base where the prison camp sits. Area 3 is the base hospital and the facilities behind it."

Those are not the same as the Nevada Test Site areas 1, 2, and 3 on Yucca Flat. Yet again, we are takling about different numbering systems.

top topics

join