It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your first rifle

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I did a search and couldn't find anything about this topic.

I was wondering what other members' first rifle or other firearm was, and if you could tell us a little bit about it, like where you got it and such.

My first rifle was a French MAS 36. My dad bought it for me when I was 12 or 13, still in excellent condition and never fired. It has a few dings on the stock and I haven't cleaned it in a while, but I think it looks pretty good for a rifle that's been around for almost 70 years. I still have the original manual for it, but it's in French so I can't read it. It had a spiked-shape bayonet that was stored inside a tube under the barrel. It fires 7.5mm ammo.

Unfortunately it was stolen at one point, and I was glad to have it recovered (turned up in a local pawn shop), but the clip and the bayonet were missing. I've never fired it which is dissapointing because I've had it for over 6 years.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
My first was a Squires and Bingham .22 carbine. It was the death of many a squirrel and rabbit.

This past summer, I got to do what every father looks forward to doing, I gave my first rifle to my son.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Remington 552 Speedmaster was my first "rifle" that I could call my own. My grandfather gave it to my parents before he died to give to me. That .22 LR rilfe gave me hours of pleasure.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
M1 Carbine (non GI) re-built by Fulton Armory in Maryland - but I was late on the rifle scene.

Very nice plinker, but I wouldn't want to carry it into battle.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Remington .22 single shot. Still got it plus a little heavier fire power. If you want to see me; Call first!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
my first and only so far is my trusty M59/60 Yugoslavian SKS.

here is a comparable picture:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My first rifle was a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifle given to me by my Grandfather. Complete with intact chrysanthemum markings
and bayonet but no monopod.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
My first to call my own was an M-1 Thompson sub-machine gun that my grand father had given to me shortly before I left for Marine Corps boot camp. It was used by my great Uncle. back in the 20's.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow sweet first gun BlackBeard

The Thompson even semi auto versions are banned in my state even though it was produced here

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
is a Mossberg 12guage 590A1 Mil modified with a Knoxx SpecOps stock, a Hogue grip and forend. It also has a CQB strap and a removable Surefire M3 tactical light. It has a 20" smooth bore barrell for 2 3/4" or 3" shells and a 9 shell magazine. She's built for home defense or any breakdown of law and order. I truly pity anyone found at the wrong end of it's barrell.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
When I was 5 or 6 my dad gave me a Red Rider BB Gun!!!
The old school kind with the gold seal on side of the stock.

I wish I still had that....for the sentimentel value.

Other than that I've never really owned a rifle or any gun for that matter.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

First gun was a Mosin-Nagant 1891/36.

Even bought some surplus Czech ammo for it. (I later found out they were steel core and would go through 2 car doors.)

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Mine was a .22, basicly the begginers rifle. It looked cool because it had a brushed steel barrel and had grey high-impact plastic trim. Those raccons didn't know what hit them.

GoldEagle

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Firearms are much more restricted in the U.K so I don't own one, but as I don't want to feel left out here is what I used in the Army Cadets first.

www.securityarms.com...

This is the second (At 3 star training level).

www.securityarms.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Oh man, Technically I haven't even gotten my own firearm yet but I did buy my self a nice Air Rifle not too long ago, it's an El-Gamo Shadowmatic, very nice synthetic stock, FAMAS style saftey, magazine, money well spend (even though I could probably have been able to buy a Remington 597 for it).

I have a Laser sight on it made for a BB-gun, it works for one shot but then I have to Zero it again
so it was obviously not made for an air rifle with such spring recoil.

My next planned rifle is a WASR-10 hi-cap, I also have the Remington 597 and M44 Mosin Nagant in mind if the WASR is too expensive.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Interesting post TheSaddenedElf

You've inspired me to start a new thread.

All these heirlooms are fascinating,
,but if anyone has any more practical suggestions for future purchases please visit here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Again, great post TheSaddenedElf.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Interesting post TheSaddenedElf

You've inspired me to start a new thread.

All these heirlooms are fascinating,
,but if anyone has any more practical suggestions for future purchases please visit here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Again, great post TheSaddenedElf.

Hey, thanks. I thought it would be interesting to see what types of rifles or other firearms people could call their 'first'. Like some, I first got to know rifles with a .22, a nice long barrel. What a fun gun to fire.

Man, some of you have some real awesome rifles that were your first. ShadowXIX, an Arisaka? That's beyond awesome. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the chrysanthemum the Imperial symbol, and weren't the Japanese troops ordered to remove them or destroy them before capture? I recall reading something about that somewhere.

BlackBeard, I wouldn't mind having a Thompson. That's been my dream weapon since I was a kid.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by TheSaddenedElf]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Mine

"http://www.twohillbillies.com/ebay/1957%20remington%20speedmaster%20model%20552.jpg"

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSaddenedElf

ShadowXIX, an Arisaka? That's beyond awesome. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the chrysanthemum the Imperial symbol, and weren't the Japanese troops ordered to remove them or destroy them before capture? I recall reading something about that somewhere.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by TheSaddenedElf]

Yeah My grandfather got it when he was in the Pacific during WW2. You are correct the chrysanthemum was the Imperial symbol and meant that the rifle was property of the Emperor. Many of chrysanthemum markings were ground off the rifles by surrendering Japanese troops because it was considered a disgrace to hand over a rifle was considered the property of the Emperor.

My Grandfather said they would just dump them into the ocean along with Japanese Katanas. Man I wished he saved one of those swords depending on the family and sword maker some katanas can be worth up to a million dollars now.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
You are correct the chrysanthemum was the Imperial symbol and meant that the rifle was property of the Emperor. Many of chrysanthemum markings were ground off the rifles by surrendering Japanese troops because it was considered a disgrace to hand over a rifle was considered the property of the Emperor.

Also, an unconfirmed tale has it that General Douglas MacArthur, at war's end, ordered the chrysanthemum markings removed from scores of captured Japanese rifles as part of the process of de-deifying the Emperor.

So you've got quite a piece of history there

[edit on 10/19/05 by redmage]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join