It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influential Jesuit Magazine Close to Vatican Condemns Pro Boxing As Legalized 'Attempted Murder'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
The list of 'formal cooperation in evil' just continues to grow doesn't it?

Jesuit Magazine Condemns Pro Boxing
By VICTOR L. SIMPSON Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press
ABCNews.com

ROME Oct 14, 2005 — Immoral. Ruthless. Tantamount to legalized murder.

That "punch against prize fighting," as the newspaper Corriere della Sera called it, came from an unusual corner an influential Jesuit magazine close to the Vatican.

Civilta Cattolica (Christian Civilization), in its edition scheduled to come out Saturday, called professional boxing a "legalized form of attempted murder."

The article titled "The Immorality of Professional Boxing" compared the sport to the bloody gladiator contests in ancient Rome. It also criticized the business of boxing as equally ruthless, with the fighter "only a machine to make money."

The magazine provided advance copies of the article.

Boxing is a "legalized form of attempted murder, in the short or in the long run," the magazine said. It also noted that fighters who don't die in the ring often suffer long-term physical and psychological injuries. The article cited the deaths of hundreds of fighters in the last century.

[...]

The Jesuit magazine often reflects Vatican thinking and some articles receive approval from the Vatican's Secretariat of State.

It would be way outside my core expertise to comment on what the Vatican is doing here. You know, none of my business. Get it?

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
the curch just has to stick its nose in every where doesnt it?

i dont understand why they think they can just try to push every one in the direction they want

i hope no one listens

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yeah, this is kinda wierd.

However, I have to admit that there is something just slightly unsettling when people pay good amounts of money to watch two people inflict injuries upon each other. This transcends boxing, though.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
nothing unsettling about it, you've just got to accept that we are humans

and as humans we love nothing better than to see others get hurt

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
nothing unsettling about it, you've just got to accept that we are humans

and as humans we love nothing better than to see others get hurt

I don't think it's the case of nothing being better than seeing another getting hurt, I'd say it was more the "feel" about a boxing match, and the macho'ism behind it.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Oh noes...A group had an opinion and they expressed it. Just like everyone here at ATS does every single day. How did you get to be a moderator RANT? You seem to only like free expression when it meets with your own personal views.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

Oh noes...A group had an opinion and they expressed it. Just like everyone here at ATS does every single day. How did you get to be a moderator RANT? You seem to only like free expression when it meets with your own personal views.

When I can withhold sacraments to deny eternal life, you'll have a point.

When... Yes, when... *muahahahaha*

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
So, lemme get this straigh, Rant's a jerk for expressing an opinion, but the vatican people aren't for doing exactly the same thing? Heck, at least Rant's not an official organized religion. He's unofficial and disorganizeized.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm not sure where you got "jerk" from but I never called anyone a jerk or any other name. Unless you are a catholic and this is an issue for you then who cares what the catholics believe about boxing? I don't understand why this is even posted unless it is just some silly attempt to belittle people in a religion who have a different opinion on a subject matter.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I don't understand why this is even posted unless it is just some silly attempt to belittle people in a religion who have a different opinion on a subject matter.

You don't understand a lot about discussion boards. Did you have anything on topic to add to this discussion at all?

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I don't understand why this is even posted unless it is just some silly attempt to belittle people in a religion who have a different opinion on a subject matter.

These people are in large part behind a movement to change our country and ban things they don't like.

They call perfectly LEGAL, popular and accepted things MURDER all the time.

Now we can add BOXING to the list of things the Catholic Church thinks is ATTEMPTED MURDER.

Is that okay with you if we discuss it?

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
You don't understand a lot about discussion boards. Did you have anything on topic to add to this discussion at all?

I understand all too well Rant. I have read your posts before and you do the same thing in every post. You try to disguise your own personal agenda in each of your threads by deeming them newsworthy.

I'll just say it again then I'll leave so you can continue to bash religions. OH NOES!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I understand all too well Rant. I have read your posts before and you do the same thing in every post. You try to disguise your own personal agenda in each of your threads by deeming them newsworthy.

I'll just say it again then I'll leave so you can continue to bash religions. OH NOES!!!

My "agenda" is civil liberties. Nothing disguised here at all. When anti-civil liberties authoritarians make the news or current events (as is their intention every time they make these outrageous statements), it's of interest to me. I first saw the story on Fox, then found it on-line at ABC news, and posted it here.

If it's not of interest to you, move along. It's a big Internet. The only thing you seem interested in is me frankly, and that's just creepy.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
How is it against civil liberties for catholics to say that boxing is attempted murder? Personally I think that sports like Boxing and Bullfighting are stupid and the people that like them probably have IQ's of below 70, but that is just my opinion and I don't expect anyone else to agree with it.

Oh wait there is more...so I get an U2U from Rant.

RANT Quote: You don't even accept the olive branch of a lightened tone when offered. Fine. You got your wish. Let's discuss what is and isn't allowed on ATS. If you'd like to hedge your bets, you'll quickly learn your current attidude is NOT.

Rant doesn't like Catholics because they think differently so they should be silenced. Rant doesn't like my opinion that he is wrong so I should be threatened with silence. Good thing Rant is out there protecting our civil liberties huh?

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Who says I don't like Catholics? You really have no idea how to put words in people's mouths. There should at least be a sliver of truth when trying to deflect the topic like that. And making this about me? Not going to happen. That was the point of my U2U. You wouldn't be allowed to derail any other poster's topic wondering why they're allowed to post, stalking their history or questioning their membership status; why do you think you get to attack me?

And who's silencing anyone? You think leading proselytizing religions that put out magazines, have lobbying organizations, public relations departments and comment on every little thing in the world as the authority standing between voters in a secular democracy and salvation mind a little more publicity? Hardly.

Your entire purpose in this thread so far seems to be nothing more than to wish I didn't post this or any other topic you don't like or approve of. Is that it? Thanks for you contribution. Again. Bye bye now.

[edit on 15-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Yikes!!!

I have to agree with RANT (watch out the sky is falling! )

The information that has been comming out of the Vatican of late seems to indicate an attempt to return to the old intolerant beliefs that it had 100's of years ago. I have been thinking that what has been occuring the last few years is that the RCC is going through it's death rattle and the recent hardline stance is it's fianl gasp at power.

This thread by Rant is just another example of how desperate the Vatican seems to becoming.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hehe.

I think that buried somewhere in the church's complaint is a legitimate issue - I don't agree that boxing is "legalized attempted murder," but it is certainly penalty-free assault and battery - especially (specifically?) ultimate fighting championship-type events, where fighters on average sustain more physical damage before the fight is broken up. They're extremely satisfying and entertaining to watch, and I definitely think that fighting is a "real" sport, but I can understand the moral issues that some people have with the idea.

Having said that, though, I think that fighters should have the right to fight now and forever.

Zip

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Honestly zerotime....You just need to realize one thing...and one thing only...

You're targeting your discussion of this topic at Rant in a negative fashion....That's simply unacceptable...

Either address your points in a general manner, without attacking another member, (mod, super mod, or no mod)....or exit stage left bro...

[edit on 10/15/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sorry. I guess I'm just getting sick of certain issues that I see happening on ATS and I'm on a short fuse today. Maybe I'm just burned out on ATS. I use to love this place and now I'm lucky if I check in once a month.

I don't think that boxing is attempted murder or even immoral – stupid yes, but not criminal. I just get tired of seeing the same types of posts that want to lump everyone from a particular group into a basket with each other because someone in that group did or said something that other people do not agree with. I mean can you imagine if we held that same standard to the members of ATS? Everyone here compared to the worst and craziest poster?

The post on another forum would look something like this: Influential ATS poster MattM stated today that the illuminati invented the moon.

I feel the ATS mods should be better than this and that's the last thing I'll say on it so that it does not derail the thread anymore, so please continue. Thank you.

[edit on 15-10-2005 by zerotime]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
zerotime, perhaps you've taken RANTS intent out of context.
RANT posts topics that make people think, that present views not often dicussed in the MSM.

This one about the Church taking a stand against boxing is something ATS readers need to see.
The Catholic Church is one of the largest and most influential groups in the world. What they say is news.

I find it rather appalling that the Church would take such an unreasonable stand against boxing. It really seems like they want to go backwards and tell us what is and what is not acceptable for us to do. hmmm, I seem to remember that man has free will??

I remember when I was in Catholic grade schoo and high school they had a list of movies you weren't supposed to see if you were Catholic. Now, they are trying the same tactic with sports. Is football and hockey next?

The Church and its mysogynist ideas about women and it unreasonable stand on celibate clergy and this new trend will alienate even more Catholics.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join