It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN: Just Another Propaganda Tool?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Judging by many posts, ATSNN is just a place to file press releases - and promote Fox or CNN, the Republican or Democrat agenda.

Where are the conspiracy theories?

Where is the unique ATS perspective?

Have we all forgotten how to think?

I've got news sites bookmarked. I don't need ATSNN for news. I need ATSNN to focus my attention, highlight news that the mainstream doesn't hit. I need ATSNN to help me look at things in a different, NOT the mainstream way.

And I look for the conspiracy angle. But I'm not seeing a lot of conspiracy theorizing in ATSNN. So wha' hoppened? Did we forget who we are?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The mainstream media, being made up of huge media corporations, will always be selective in their reporting. They have shareholders to satisfy and many of those BIG shareholders may at one time or another become a news item. So, the news is filtered and anything negative or damaging is spiked. Then you have the government influence where gag orders can be issued like confetti in the interests of "National Security" etc.

There are many thousands of alternative news sources available online, outside of the mainstream and their regional affiliates, but these too have to be treated with caution sometimes.
There will always be posters who have their pet sites and take eveything they say as gospel if it fits in with their views. Of course, some of these board posters also take to shooting the messenger and discrediting a news source if it doesn't fit their views. A story may not fit someones views but it doesn't mean that it's not true, which is something people seem to ignore or forget.
There are then those posters who begin the name calling as soon as anyone with an opposing viewpoint adds to a thread.
This seems to be the pattern on every board I have ever been a member of. I often wonder if some of the posters work for the mainstream media or the government as they push a viewpoint, and steadfastly refuse to listen to arguments

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
soficrow,

Not every news story that makes it to the major networks is reported here.

And equally stories appear on ATSNN that major networks do no report.

It's about the big picture. It's about pieces of the jigsaw.

Members post the stories they think are important. Not one member but all members and it is that that builds the big picture.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
All true Britguy, and thanks for the comments. BUT - how do you see ATSNN?

IMO - you're right - everyone 'spins' the news - but it's our job here to spin the conspiracy angles. ...???

typo

[edit on 8-10-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The beauty of ATSNN is that it is a collaborative effort and every ATS member can contribute their own selected articles to it, whether mainstream or not. Perhaps most importantly, we get to discuss the stories here in an investigative and constructive way.

I don't think that we should be looking for conspiracies under every rock, but plenty of edgy stories certainly do make their way here. Of course when exposed to the light of day this site provides, many of the more preposterous "news" stories (along the lines I guess you'd like to see more of) get shot down after a logical, careful review of the evidence. Is this what you're complaining about soficrow?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
How bout we focus on my questions.

Where are the conspiracy theories?

Where is the unique ATS perspective?

Have we all forgotten how to think?

I've got news sites bookmarked. I don't need ATSNN for news. I need ATSNN to focus my attention, highlight news that the mainstream doesn't hit. I need ATSNN to help me look at things in a different way, NOT the mainstream way.

And I look for the conspiracy angle. But I'm not seeing a lot of conspiracy theorizing in ATSNN. So wha' hoppened? Did we forget who we are?

...I'm asking why ATSNN news stories are not evaluated in the context of any given conspiracy theory - rather than just regurgitated straight up, a function that already is filled all over the net.

Like, if there's no conspiracy angle, why are they here?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
There was a period of time when I was all bubbly over the fact that ATSNN would get the news out before my mainstream Canadian newspapers had the story in their websites. Actually, this is still the truth today, as I noticed the Pakistan earthquake was discussed on the boards prior to the Toronto Star running the story.
After Skeptic Overlords # 7 podcast, however, where he explains the purpose behind ATSNN as being the repository of news articles which pertain to conspiracies, I'm rethinking the validity of many posts which are submitted.
I think you, Soficrow, have the right attitude. The focus should be on those news items related to active conspiracy theories or should initiate new ones.

my 2 cents...that's 1.75 cents US

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Any mention of conspiracy in ATSNN is often immediately shot down and heckled with lots of "rabble-rabble-rabble-rabble!!", and comments to the effect of "We don't subscribe to crackpot theories round here. This is ATSNN, THIS is SERIOUS."

"What's that? A conspiracy theory!? Time out!! ...Go on...take it outside to ATS."

[edit on 2005-10-8 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I am all for looking at conspiracy theories, but the news that I hear on ATS is very helpful to me also. One prime example is the OU bombing which I was totally unaware of until I saw it on ATS, and there has still been no coverage here in Florida that I've noticed except for a brief crawl on CNN. It would also be nice if you didn't get blasted everytime you question the MSM's accuracy in reporting, or possible motives for it. I'm with you Soficrow, but don't assume that because a story is being reported in your area that it is being reported internationally or even nationwide.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The stories that are not mainstream do not get voted up.
When I post a story I'm usually looking for something in Science, technology or Health. Sometimes I will see a story and say "why the heck isn't this on ATSNN?" Like this one.

But when ever I try to post about ATS's alternative subjects I get No:Story votes.

The reality is that ATSNN is a completely member driven outlet. This directly reflects on the community. A community that seems to be more interested in politics and war rather than conspiracy and alternative subjects. So these will be the stories that get posted on ATSNN.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I am in ATS because the conspiracy edge on everything that made people think of the "ifs, but, or's".

Every body has an idea, an opinion and perhaps a good explanation or reasoning for things.

Taking the "conspiracy" out of the news in ATS is like taking ATS out of conspiracies.

The whole site will lost the best of it.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
The stories that are not mainstream do not get voted up.

What are you talking about? Our members vote up every python eats alligator, monkey smokes a cigarette and skateboarding dog story that comes along!

Have you seen our News Van?

Mainstream? Come on, that's cutting edge right there.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I see every news and every bit on informations for its worthiness and its merits, even if I don't agree with the content I still find something valuable in it.

That is the way I am and the way I see everything. Is many people in ATS that keep themselves on top of every conspiracy and every bit of news around, that is what makes this site worth it, is not only about the news posted but the members that take time to compile them, research them and then built conspiracy around them so other members can either debunk them or build more around them or just simply agree with them.

In the time I have been here I have seen conspiracies been build and actually seen them develope into potentially true facts.

That is what ATS is all about and should always be and the members are the ones to thanks for it.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
What are you talking about? Our members vote up every python eats alligator, monkey smokes a cigarette and skateboarding dog story that comes along!

I would like to point out that the python eats alligator story was not actually voted up. It was submitted by an Expert News Submitter and while there might be some question as to the pertinence of smoking chimps and skateboarding dogs, the impact of non-native species on the ecological balance of the Everglades can be quite profound. That such realizations come packaged in a bizarre tale of gargantuan fighting reptiles is only icing on the cake, so to speak, and fondly reminiscent of those classic Japanese thrillers that entertained so many of us in our youth.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Trouble with posting conspiracy related news, it either gets shot down (not voted up), turns into personal flame wars, or you can be steroetyped/chastized as the resident ATS kook. These experiences can turn off posters, since many are not fond of becoming a product of verbal abuse or have a desire to create friction.

Personally, I have nor problems with ATSNN and my ego can use an occasional bashing ...since it's member driven content it reflects what "we" want to see and not one person's ideals.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Not really sure what you are going for here Soficrow?

You have expert status, you have posted your fair share of mainstream stories. But you also have submitted a fair share of OP/ED's. If all you want is to post up op/ed pieces etc. why not post it in an ATS thread instead?

ATSNN =

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Have you seen our News Van?

Hey..that isn't me driving that day. I am a tad purtier than that...I hope and besides I am sure I was busy that day sitting down to smoke some cigarettes with a certain Chinese Chimp

Soficrow I search out stories daily and always add articles that smell of conspiracy along with posting mainstream interesting news. I notice and enjoy your interested replies to some of my stories.

But here's a great one for you that fits the bill I just posted
www.abovetopsecret.com...

news and a stench of conspiracy.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

I found this amusing:

Judging by many posts, ATSNN is just a place to file press releases - and promote Fox or CNN, the Republican or Democrat agenda.

So while you are quick to throw the agenda stone, how about your agenda that you are promoting? It does go both ways. To decry the existing stories when your own posting record is much of the same smacks of hypocrisy

But promotion goes both ways do these titles ring a bell?

RE:OP/ED: Flu Researchers Slam US for Hoarding Data
This piece is not an Op/Ed IMO - it's straight up reporting: The world's scientific community has been criticising the US for some time for hoarding data and silencing scientists. Most recently, the criticism focused on the US preventing access to critical data on bird flu - the article referenced international news reports on the issue.
The conspiracy angle: Simultaneous to the criticism reaching US media, the US conducted a smear campaign on China to deflect the criticism, and distract attention from the well-founded charges. I exposed the campaign.

RE:Op/Ed. Democracy against Corporatocracy: Fighting the Machine. Hundreds of thousands of Katrina victims are displaced - left without homes or jobs, and living in detainment camps - with little hope for the future. I expect the same circumstance to result from the bird flu and other epidemics - with the added obstacle that many people will be physically unable to work full time.
The Conspiracy Angle: The situation results from a war initiated on democracy by the corporatocracy - and while Eminent Domain has yet to be implemented to benefit corporations in NO, it soon will be. I offered an alternative where people can fight back on the international corporations' home ground, and meet their very real needs: incorporated cooperatives.

Bird Flu and Beyond: Chronic Disease to Kill 400 Million
The WHO has been trying to flag the chronic disease crisis for several years - but consistently was blocked by the USA. Finally - both the World Bank and WHO got chronic disease on the world agenda by removing all references to the USA.
The Conspiracy Angle: Widespread prion infections and pollution are causing the crisis - industry is liable - and down-playing the crisis: it's a cover-up.

Op/Ed: Beyond Salvage: Was New Orleans Destroyed on Purpose? NO is a geographically important port - but it was a money pit because of the flooding and old levees, plus it had the nation's largest % of poor concentrated in one place - so attracting the level of investment required to protect the city from flooding was nigh impossible.
The Conspiracy Angle: The Aholes in power instituted a policy of "benign neglect" to get rid of the poor, pave the way for rebuilding NO according to their own agenda, and make a fortune doing it.

New Orleans: Incompetence or Population Control? Evacuation plans existed - but were not used. The zoo saved its animals - but government did not save its people.
The Conspiracy Angle: Government feigned incompetence to fulfill a hidden agenda - of population control, and remodeling the city for profit.

So, FredT: What on earth do you think my agenda is? And where's the hypocrisy?

I post news - and analyse the conspiracy angle. IMO - that's what ATS is about; I am not being hypocritical either in what I do, or what I say I'm doing. ...At the same time, some news is world-changing on its own - like many scientific breakthroughs, geophysical activity, and climate change impacts. Like others here, I often report sci/tech straight up, without looking for a conspiracy. Although when I see one, I say so.

You have expert status, you have posted your fair share of mainstream stories.

It's not about me, or my ability to post. As you say, I can post on ATSNN without going through the voting process. I'm talking about playing to ATS' strengths on ATSNN, and not denying who we really are.

But you also have submitted a fair share of OP/ED's. If all you want is to post up op/ed pieces etc. why not post it in an ATS thread instead?

1. Posting Op/Ed's in NOT all I want to do. 2. Writing Op/Ed's is a legitimate form of journalistic commentary - used when a thinker wants to cross the boundaries of 'polite conversation,' ignore the "objective observer" fiction, just take the gloves off, and call a spade a spade.

ATSNN =

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Even though I'm just a 'stupid newbie', I have submitted a few ATSNN articles and have noticed that when I include my take on the news item, they seem to be universally not voted up and in fact get "NO" votes for "bias".

Maybe this is part of the problem? If you attempt to point out the 'conspiracy' related to the item, it is concluded by some to be biased?

Due to this apparent problem, I have decided that I shouldn't try to submit any more news items. I will simply wait for those that can bring topics to light to do so and hope that they don't miss (what I feel to be) important ones.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I will have to agree that deeming bias an article because the authors opinion or because it wants to bring an angle of conspiracy to it, it just will show that the bias is not often coming from the Thread started but from the offended party.

Conspiracies angles are what makes the articles interesting and debatable.

With all the intelligent people in this boards is easier for any of them to debunk an article as easy as supporting it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join