It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks on Hispanics in Georgia kill six

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hate crimes against Hispanics is rising in GA. For some reason migrant workers communities has been targeted, this wave of home invasions is keeping the Spanish community very worry about what is prompting the recent attacks.

Tifton - A sixth person has died in the attacks that killed five other immigrant workers in south Georgia.
Last Friday, two men shot and beat 11 people in home invasion robberies in four separate mobile home parks. The six were killed in Tift County. Three others in Tift County were wounded and two were wounded in Colquitt County.

This very sad and very criminal the people been targeted are just hard working migrants that live in poor communities of mobile homes.

Because the status of the people as “illegal” makes them prime target to robbers due to the fact that the money they make is usually in cash.

www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=3935889

[edit on 4-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Our local news reports they have just arrested 2 perps, I hope they get them all.

cjf

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Hate crimes against Hispanics is rising in GA. For some reason migrant workers communities has been targeted, this wave of home invasions is keeping the Spanish community very worry about what is prompting the recent attacks.

I agree the acts are horrible; murder during a home invasion is a fearful crime. I'm glad to see they have two suspects in custody.

But I am not sure how this is classified as a ‘Hate Crime’ via the article and follow-up article in the same link. Hispanics (migrant workers) have been targets, but I haven’t read anything about the crimes being motivated by bias, gender, prejudice or hate.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Marg Marg Marg! I live in Atlanta, and heard the reports too. But these are likely not racially motivated, and that is the first I have heard of that. The article itself says the attacks happened because immigrants often have large sums of cash. The reports on the radio I heard specifically said the attacks did not appear racially motivated.

It's gonna happen sometimes dear Marg. With so many here, crimes are gonna happen to hispanics too. I really really really think you misunderstood the reports, from everything I've heard. I could be wrong. But somewhere someone has inevitably put that slant on it, and it is just an attention getter.

I am very sorry for their lives and family, but it is not what you are thinking, IMO.

TA

[edit on 4-10-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Marge, there is no reason to put illegal in quotes, if they are not here with documents or legal means, then I’m sorry to break this to you Marge, but they are illegal aliens. I just wanted to clear that up wit you, and by the way, as other reported, I don't think the crimes were racially motivated.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Because the status of the people as “illegal” makes them prime target to robbers due to the fact that the money they make is usually in cash.

The fact is they are illegal, and due to this they don't report the assorted crimes to the LEO's for fear of deportation, so what happens to them is sad in the respect that alot of the people that are targetted are people trying to start a new life .

They are not necessarilly racially motivated (i.e. hate crimes) just racial profiling by somebody other than LEO's.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I don't think this was hate crimes, I think it was a "couple" 128m/19f on a meth binge.

I watched the film, they haven't charged them with the murders.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have worked with some of the people in the migrant worker community as a Spanish interpretor, the news are not bringing the main subject and that is that the Hispanics are "concern of being target of hate crimes".

The police and other groups involve in the killings are very careful to bring the subject of "hate" crimes because it would not look good for the area.

But that is the concern of the people that has been targeted.

Just because the news are not claiming "hate crimes" it doesn't meant that the victims survivers doesn't feel that way.

Sorry to burst the bubble but I am closer to them that any of you are.
Even the local religious community are doing vigils to help stop the targeting of Hispanics in the area.

[edit on 5-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Not sure what you mean by this. You live closer? Because you are hispanic decent?

You cant say for sure its a Hate crime.

A hate crime is done out of hate, not motive to steal. It is rare attackers in hate crimes rob them also.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Even the local religious community are doing vigils to help stop the targeting of Hispanics in the area.

marge it is because you are close to them that you think it is a hate crime against mexicans

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I have worked with some of the people in the migrant worker community as a Spanish interpretor, the news are not bringing the main subject and that is that the Hispanics are "concern of being target of hate crimes".

The police and other groups involve in the killings are very careful to bring the subject of "hate" crimes because it would not look good for the area.

But that is the concern of the people that has been targeted.

Just because the news are not claiming "hate crimes" it doesn't meant that the victims survives doesn't feel that way.

The months of coverage CNN gave to that nasty man that drives around from spanish neighborhood to spanish neighborhood in Atlanta didn't help. He's trying to start some "take back the USA for white people" movement and getting way too much air time. He confronts anyone he sees of brown skin and demands "papers" then tries to detain them while he calls the police. He just screams at anyone he sees presumably "Mexican" stopping traffic, raising hell and hatred of the spanish community alike.

He really belongs in jail as a public menace. It's no wonder the community feels targeted. This guy has growing support in GA. It's sick.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Because the status of the people as “illegal” makes them prime target...

They ARE illegal. That doesn't excuse being evil towards them.
But they are illegal. Putting the word in quotes doesn't change that.

I understand what you are saying. When people are illegals and
something happens to them, they can't go to the police for help.
But honestly .. that comes with the fact that they themselves are
breaking the law by being illegal. It's a risk they are willing to take.
Crime shouldn't happen to them or anyone else, but it's their own
fault for being illegal and not being able to report crime.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Guys, this is a first hand report from a member saying what the community feels is happening. Not what is happening per se.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

EXCUSE YOU!!

I have a neice who married a naturalized citizen and I also worked with naturalized and illegals for 4 years and learned enough espanol that we could communicate fairly fluently ,and I was helping the green carders obtain legal documents. If they were illegals and I could verify it from different sources the INS got a call but the lazy bastards wouldn't bother with just one person.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
One of the problems that I have confronted with while working with migrant workers as an interpretor for a local law firm when I arrived in GA, was that most of the time migrant Hispanic workers do not speak out due to their "illegal status"

Making them target to all kind of unscrupulous opportunist.

Even when the state do have laws protecting migrant workers still the "illegal" status is a barrier, the community has grown considerably in the last 10 years, I am afraid that this kind of crimes are going to continue.

Right now they are asking for the help to have more police patrols in their areas.

But the reality is that is not happening their communities are mostly poor areas of mobile homes the police only goes into their areas when crimes are committed.

The crimes are happening in two counties closes to mine and even I am concern about the whole thing.

I am Hispanic after all even I am starting to look to any cars coming to my neighborhood that are not from my area with suspicion.

I have to thank the neighbors for them keeping an eye too even when I live in a none Hispanic area is only another Puertorrican in my neighborhood and he is a parole officer.

The GBR and local police enforcement are not talking to much on what is going on.

cjf

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Just because the news are not claiming "hate crimes" it doesn't meant that the victims survivers doesn't feel that way.

Can’t this premise also apply to all crime victims at some level?

This is precisely one of the many reasons the Courts initially struck down "Georgia's Hate Crime Law".
Georgia Axes Hate Crime Law as Too Broad---AP 10/04

And….

I am and not sure how you can justify this particular statement:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yesterday the news were interviewing some of the people and while they were telling their story and asking as why the target is the Hispanic community alone and not the other communities.

The news media change their words as they did the translations.

The members think they are part of a hate crimes because is "Only male Hispanics that had been killed"

The women so far "has been sexually assaulted" or "in one instance rape" but not killed because most of the ladies that are married to the victims are "White".

Now do you people understand now.

This is happening in a two counties next to mine, I even know some of this people for haven sake.

I didn't wanted to get so personal but when I am the one here witnessing all this I can see what is going on and I can hear what they are complaining about.

Some of the victims do not want to be in the cameras specially the ladies that had been sexually assaulted.

The men just keep their heads down and do not make comments to the cameras, but whisper "Why us"

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
post deleted. my mistake.

[edit on 5-10-2005 by cap_n_america]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The anger at hispanics is pretty real, and I think even obvious by some reactions in this thread.

The only group anyone has to be mad at however is the federal government. Frustration should really be taken out on them. Not the slaves the feds, contractors and other greedy Americans encourage to come here.

Sorry, I see people, not status when it comes to human dignity.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
These people are still human marg. Makes no difference their skin color or if they are illegal they still have right a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We call them inalienable rights in this country.

There is some truth to these people being targetted because they are Hispanic. Obviously the persons who commit these crimes realize the possibility of large amounts of cash to be gained.

A crime of this nature is a crime of greed and opportunity against those they feel will not act in defense of their rights for fear of repercussions.

Its a sad thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join