posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:24 AM
If we are going to put people on Mars we need to have a plan and we need to stick to it. In my opinion doing stuff that these companies are doing
cheapens the whole idea of space travel. Come on, do we really need another theme park? What a bunch of jokers.
We still haven't mastered getting into orbit cheaply, let alone the moon! And to ask people to put up money for Mars is quite frankly a no starter
when looking at it from a Business point of view. Who on earth is going to invest in this thing?
If I was going to do this, I would do it in a five stage plan.
1) Form a rocket company offering cheap low cost flights into orbit. Something along the lines of what this gentleman is doing. Mark my words, Ive
read about his rocket and it is quite frankly excellent.
2) Next, extend this technology to allow tourist trips to the moon. Do not however actually land there. Just do fly bys... (lol "just" )
3) Next, establish a base on the moon to allow perfection of artificial environment technologies. If they fail, you can escape to Earth. In
conjunction with this, develop plasma rocket technology to perfection.
4) Now you can attempt a Mars flyby! Several test runs could be performed. Heck it would be the first "deep" space cruise and with plasma rockets,
the time spent in deep space would be greatly reduced. You can also drop off the first modules for the martian settlement.
5) Now we have learnt to walk. Along the way we have pushed the frontiers of space tourism in a logical fashion developing our technological know how
along the way.
What do you guys think?