It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What you don't know about quicksand won't kill you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It's not like in the movies. You won't suffocate, but you won't ever get out either.

Science Sinks the Myth of a Slow Death in QuickSand

Research has shown that it is impossible for people to sink into quicksand much beyond the waist -- but it is equally impossible to pull someone out once they are stuck.

Any attempt to drag a person out with a horse or truck would put them in much greater danger than leaving them be: the forces involved would tear them apart. To pull a person's foot out would require as much force as it takes to lift a family car, and the body would give way before the sand relinquished its grip.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This is one myth Mythbusters did right it seems

The reason why you won't sink all the way down is because the water/sand mixture is much denser then the human body. Its the same physics that make you float on salty water.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hmmmm...How would one go about getting out of it then?

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Perhaps you could affix a harness of some sort to the person stuck, and then pump in water to loosen the mix.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I guess you'd have to dig the person out which would be a horribly slow and tedious task, but better than being stuck forever.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I think we need a research grant.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Ahhh crap.

I was hoping my friend would grab a vine and pull me out. Guess I'll just stay here then.

Still, one of the cooler things found in nature.
Always wanted to know more about this, thanks RANT.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
They did an experiment that was similar on a show called 'Brainiac' here in the UK.
In the experiment they filled a swimming pool with industrial strength custard, and the guy could walk across the pool like it was solid, as long as he was quick.
But when he stopped he sank lowly in and when they tried to pull him out it would 'grip' him like the quicksand and it was impossible. The solution was they had to keep him supported and pull him out, very, very, VERY slowly.

They also do loads of other cool things on the show like blow up a caravan with a different chemical every week and also stick explosives in microwaves.
They also did an experiment the other day to see what happens if you drive a lawnmower over dynamite. Heh...hehe..

www.skyone.co.uk...

[edit on 2-10-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Maybe we should suggest trying the dynamite on the quicksand?

new topics

top topics

join