It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are no birds here

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have also sent an email to...gary ritchison of the Kentucky Ornithological Society.

I will also post back anything received from this person also.

Off now to do some research.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am wondering does anyone think this might have something to do with the New Madrid Fault line and the recent activity? I know it runs along Kentucky on the outside of the state but perhaps there is something bigger coming and the birds are just the first sign.

Keep an watchful eye on other animals including domestic ones.
Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
www.birdnature.com...

Here is a site that I have came across that has arrival dates and departure dates for the Kentucky birds. For those of you who are not aware, Kentucky has a huge and diverse population of birds. And it is VERY VERY unusual not to see a bird in one hour let alone several days.

So, WHERE are all of these birds that should be here according to the list? It's strange, so very, very strange.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Silent Spring, Rachel Carson

Perhaps it has begun?

Sri Oracle

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
What is Silent Spring, Rachel Carson mean?
Is this a book or prediction of some sort?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
What is Silent Spring, Rachel Carson mean?
Is this a book or prediction of some sort?

I think I remember it being about pesticides mainly DDT killing off the bird population or something, but the thing is that there were birds here they just disappeared suddenly. It isn't like massive piles of dead birds are being found.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Even though I am in England, I noticed this as well, probably not related, but there has actually been zero bird activity for a few days now, the odd seagull but thats it. Which is still odd as I am about 10-15 miles from the coast. A single seagull soaring overhead at night is the creepiest thing I have ever experienced.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I believe Silent Sping was a book by Rachael Carson. It was written in the 60's about pesticides, mainly DDT, and how the bird populations were being adversely affected by them. I believe it was one of the reasons DDT was banned. Seems like I recall it could be detected in the egg shells, and caused them to be too thin to 'carry' the hatchlings to full term. It was one of the things that contributed to a reduction in the bald eagle population.

I think habitat destruction is a big problem now.....but perhaps it has something to do with the hurricanes as well.

I have wondered if the changes in the magnetic poles would cause problems for migratory birds, since they are said to use it somewhat as a direction finder.??

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
No dead birds found here either.

Still awaiting a response back from my emails.

Interesting to see other people reporting the same thing.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
im my opinion its cause of the climate

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I looked around for some info and found this on odd animal behavior prior to an earthquake and/or an eruption.

mysticadvisor.com
Seismic Sensitivity
There are countless stories of animals acting in strange ways a day or two before an earthquake. Before the famous eruption of Krakatoa in 1883, large numbers of animals fled the area. Today in Japan, people living in earthquake-prone areas keep goldfish because they become agitated and behave abnormally shortly before an eruption. Cats fled the city of Copiago, Chile, in 1922, shortly before a large earthquake destroyed much of the city. Dogs were said to be unusually disturbed shortly before an earthquake in Japan one year later. Two horses became highly distressed before a minor earthquake in California in 1974. Dr. Jack Everdon of the U.S. Geological Survey’s Earthquake Research Facility found that the horses were living virtually on top of the epicenter of the quake. Cats behaved strangely hours before the earthquake in Santa Cruz, California, in October 1989. These are all fascinating stories, but they do not necessarily have anything to do with ESP. They simply demonstrate that animals are more sensitive to changes in the world around them than we are.

Haven't found much info on birds in relation to pending natural disasters yet though. Keep an eye on you cats, dogs and apparently goldfish...whod'a thunk it

And here's the USGS site which monitors current earthquake activity around the globe. Your area has had a few microquakes in the last weak. Which i think is typical for any fault zone, just look at California, Hawaii, and Alaska.earthquake.usgs.gov...

Actually as i look at the USGS site to get you the link i noticed you've had another small(believe it's called a microquake) quake in the last hour.

And here's info for ya on the New Madrid Seismic Zone

Hopefully it's nothing but it can't hurt to be informed, the area is overdue for a big one.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
After reading what you wrote regarding animals sensing it I went on a google hunt and did find this in relation to birds. Simon let's stock up just to be on the safe side and have your family too to, ok?

www.tribuneindia.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have heard of this before. I dont have any pets here and have only heard a few dogs barking outside today, nothing much unusual.
Maybe a few supplies just in case wouldnt go amiss.
Guess we should also check out what to do in an earthquake.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by simon_alex0327
I have heard of this before. I dont have any pets here and have only heard a few dogs barking outside today, nothing much unusual.
Maybe a few supplies just in case wouldnt go amiss.
Guess we should also check out what to do in an earthquake.

Yeah, that would probably be a good idea since we've never been through one in this lifetime in this area. I wouldn't know what to do if an earthquake actually hit. In grade school they taught us to get under a desk or something sturdy. But, I think running outside to the open seems smarter?

I haven't noticed any unusual animal behavior other than the birds disappearing either. Keep an eye out though, maybe the birds sensed it first or something. I'm sure it's not an upcoming earthquake, but just to be safe we should be prepared.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Do you think it's possible that the hurricanes disrupted the birds' normal migration route and they took another?

Just a thought. But I guess that wouldn't account for the"resident" birds being gone. Oh well, sounded good while it lasted.

[edit on 9/29/05 by reblazed]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenlover28
I think I remember it being about pesticides mainly DDT killing off the bird population or something, but the thing is that there were birds here they just disappeared suddenly. It isn't like massive piles of dead birds are being found.

It had to do with not only killing of birds, but inability to reproduce. A "silent spring" was one without birth.

Major shifts in animal populations such as birds or fish can also be indicators of a major weather system approaching. There was massive fish/sealife migration out of the gulf of mexico right before katrina struck. It even made mainstream news.... there should be an ATS fragile earth thread on it somewhere.

I've checked NOAA, your air quality should be relatively ok
I also checked drought.unl.edu, you are not experiencing any drought

I've read that KY has been known to use Fenthion ('___'P) on horse farms for bug control. Do you know of any local farmers using fenthion, it is extremely bird toxic.

in 1975 the us military apparently killed some 500,000 birds in KY w/ chemicals, not sure of details openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu...

What is in your area? Types of farms... industry, military, blasting, what types of chemicals are being applied to lawns, etc. ? Local current events... check your paper... Huge cat problem?

What else is not in your area? Are there still bugs? was there recently a mass harvest by some agrobusiness in your area?

Sri Oracle

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Just went outside here and caught sight of several birds !! Plenty of chirping too.

Maybe they heard Kohls was having a sale!!

Anything with you Zen ?

Simon

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Nope nothing as of yet, will keep you posted though.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

Originally posted by zenlover28

It had to do with not only killing of birds, but inability to reproduce. A "silent spring" was one without birth.

Major shifts in animal populations such as birds or fish can also be indicators of a major weather system approaching. There was massive fish/sealife migration out of the gulf of mexico right before katrina struck. It even made mainstream news.... there should be an ATS fragile earth thread on it somewhere.

I've checked NOAA, your air quality should be relatively ok
I also checked drought.unl.edu, you are not experiencing any drought

I've read that KY has been known to use Fenthion ('___'P) on horse farms for bug control. Do you know of any local farmers using fenthion, it is extremely bird toxic.

in 1975 the us military apparently killed some 500,000 birds in KY w/ chemicals, not sure of details openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu...

What is in your area? Types of farms... industry, military, blasting, what types of chemicals are being applied to lawns, etc. ? Local current events... check your paper... Huge cat problem?

What else is not in your area? Are there still bugs? was there recently a mass harvest by some agrobusiness in your area?

Sri Oracle

Makes complete sense. Perhaps they just didn't have babies this year. So sad. I'll do some research on your questions and get back with you.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hmm, I checked the Illinois' birding listserv, IBET group on Yahoo, and the bird sighting activity is as active as ever.

Some local birding clubs that you can contact in Kentucky

www.buckleyaudubon.org...

www.daviessaudubon.org...

www.biology.eku.edu...

I also checked the latest posts on this birding specialty forum and the birdwatching activity seems as active as usual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join