It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Far Side V Dark Side

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is a matter of utmost importance, especially somewhere like ATS, so please read up.

Two of the forums I spend a lot of time in are Space Exploration and Aliens & UFOs. A reccuring motif in both forums is that of the Moon. It's a popular topic, whether discussing Aliens or the latest NASA hoax. And, within such topics, you invariably find yourself discussing the Dark Side of the Moon.

Or is it the Far Side? Because I thought it was Far, but this guy said Dark. Maybe it's Dark. I don't know, let's ask a FSME or something...

NO!

It is the FAR SIDE of the Moon, not the Dark Side. Let's compare.

That is the Dark Side of the Moon. As you can see, it isn't the Moon at all. It is, in fact, a (rather good, if I do say so myself) album by Pink Floyd. Notice the distinct lack of Moon, largeness, and "it being the moon at all." It may not reflect the sunlight, but it does match perfectly with The Wizard Of Oz.

That is the Far Side of the Moon. As you can see, it is, in fact, the Moon, and not an overused album cover. The Moon operates under synchronous rotation, which means it revolves over the same period as rotation. Hence, you always see the same side of the Moon. Just because you never see it doesn't mean it doesn't get light; it faces the Sun half the time, jah? It's dark during a full moon, and light during a new moon. The Moon houses aliens, the American flag, and 42 nuclear bases, yet mysteriously is not a musical selection favored by college students.

I hope that helps because, dammit, it pisses me off to read about the Dark Side of the Moon, where aliens reside, or even, god forbid, Pink Floyd's classic Far Side of the Moon.

Dark = Pink Floyd
Far = The Moon/Luna

If you got this far, go back to the top and read it again.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

That is the best I can do.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Theoretically some parts of the Moon are always lit and some are always dark.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
One face is always facing the earth and the other never faces the earth, but both portions get lit. unless you are meaning something else??

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
One face is always facing the earth and the other never faces the earth, but both portions get lit. unless you are meaning something else??

There are places as in very hard to find places that theoretically always get light and always get darkness, I think they are near the poles but since they have never found such a spot it's still idle speculation on my part. I think it has something to do with topography or something.

The Cmd would know what I'm talking about. I'm sure of it.

NASA is very interested in these theoretical places on the moon as they would be perfect places for solar farms and space telescopes.

EDIT: Note I'm not talking about a Dark Side and Light Side, it's more liek Dark Spots and Light spots.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Sort of like the poles on Earth. I don't think it occurs since it's tilt is different and is on a different plane than the thing it's orbiting, ever so slightly.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Sort of like the poles on Earth. I don't think it occurs since it's tilt is different and is on a different plane than the thing it's orbiting, ever so slightly.

That's the thing Amory, some NASA guys thrashed out the math and said that it is possible that there are small places on the moon where this could happen with absolutely no night or day to speak of(depending on the pole I guess), weird huh.

It was a whole article about building a moon base under the polar ice and it went on at length about this theory. If it turns out to be correct and in convienient places it could be a huge boon towards colonization.

I've been trying to find the article since you posted this and Google and Metacrawler are being stuborn. I'll try Scholar next.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hilarious post!

Hopefully it will help deny some people's ignorance.

top topics

join