It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS in Secret War Against Iranian Agents In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Apparently, the two british SAS soldiers who were busted in Iraq last week were actually on a very important mission. They were a part of a 24-strong SAS team engaged in a "secret war" against agents from Iran. The Iranian agents are allegedly bringing sophisticated bombs and drugs across the border into Iraq. The two SAS agents had explosives and detonators in their car because they were on a mission to carry out reconnaissance and supply a second patrol with “more tools and fire power”...

The Sunday Times: SAS in secret war against Iranian agents

TWO SAS soldiers rescued last week after being arrested by Iraqi police and handed over to a militia were engaged in a “secret war” against insurgents bringing sophisticated bombs into the country from Iran. The men had left their base near the southern Iraqi city of Basra to carry out reconnaissance and supply a second patrol with “more tools and fire power”, said a source with knowledge of their activities. They had been in Basra for seven weeks on an operation prompted by intelligence that a new type of roadside bomb which has been used against British troops was among weapons being smuggled over the Iranian border.

“Since the increase in attacks against UK forces two months ago, a 24-strong SAS team has been working out of Basra to provide a safety net to stop the bombers getting into the city from Iran,” said one source. “The aim is to identify routes used by insurgents and either capture or kill them.”

Hazim Shalan, who left office last May amid a scandal over huge sums of missing money, claimed that 460 Iranian agents had been apprehended in the past two years. He accused Iranian officials of bringing weapons and drugs into Iraq and of paying voters to back their chosen candidates.

A judge said yesterday that he had issued warrants for the arrest of the SAS men over the shooting and the alleged killing of a second man shot in the car chase. Judge Ragheb Mohamad Hassan al-Muthafar told The Sunday Times in an exclusive interview that the soldiers were “suspects who attempted to commit a wilful act of murder”. He added: “Whatever their mission they have no right to fire intentionally on anyone, let alone a security man whose job is to protect this country.” According to the judge, nine people were killed and 14 injured, including two boys aged 13 and 14, when the mob attacked British forces surrounding the police station where the men were detained.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, well, well. This explains everything. So they had a very good reason after all to do what they did. Iran is actually the bad guys here. If they don`t stop this trafficking of bombs and drugs from Iran, then more troops and innocent Iraqi civilians will die. A noble cause which justifies their actions. After all, Hazim Shalan "accused Iranian officials of bringing weapons and drugs into Iraq and of paying voters to back their chosen candidates"...

Warrants have been issued for the arrest of the two SAS agents. For murdering a security man whose job was to protect his country. The Ministry of Defence said the warrants had no legal basis as "All British troops in Iraq come under the jurisdiction of Britain"...

Related ATS Threads:
Iraq: Brit Soldiers Dressed As Arabs In car Packed With Explosives Captured (by ArchAngel)

[edit on 2005/9/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

csmonitor.com...

The 'myth' of Iraq's foreign fighters

The US and Iraqi governments have vastly overstated the number of foreign fighters in Iraq, and most of them don't come from Saudi Arabia, according to a new report from the Washington-based Center for Strategic International Studies (CSIS). According to a piece in The Guardian, this means the US and Iraq "feed the myth" that foreign fighters are the backbone of the insurgency. While the foreign fighters may stoke the insurgency flames, they make up only about 4 to 10 percent of the estimated 30,000 insurgents.
The CSIS study also disputes media reports that Saudis are the largest group of foreign fighters. CSIS says "Algerians are the largest group (20 percent), followed by Syrians (18 percent), Yemenis (17 percent), Sudanese (15 percent), Egyptians (13 percent), Saudis (12 percent) and those from other states (5 percent)." CSIS gathered the information for its study from intelligence sources in the Gulf region.

The CSIS report says: "The vast majority of Saudi militants who have entered Iraq were not terrorist sympathizers before the war; and were radicalized almost exclusively by the coalition invasion."

Continued.....

The author of the article you posted is prostituting propaganda that has already been debunked.

[edit on 25-9-2005 by ArchAngel]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What was debunked was the CSIS biased study and released report, ArchAngel, not what Hellmutt is presenting. Furthermore, the CSIS study and released report mentions nothing of Iranian fighters and agents infiltrating into Iraq, again, as posted by Hellmutt.

seekerof

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well, well, well. This explains everything. So they had a very good reason after all to do what they did. Iran is actually the bad guys here. If they don`t stop this trafficking of bombs and drugs from Iran, then more troops and innocent Iraqi civilians will die. A noble cause which justifies their actions. After all, Hazim Shalan "accused Iranian officials of bringing weapons and drugs into Iraq and of paying voters to back their chosen candidates"...

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what it is that you're rolling your eyes at. I'm hoping that you're just rolling your eyes at Britain's excuse for these men being incognito and carrying explosives in their vehicle, and not rolling your eyes at the notion that Iran is meddling in Iraq's affairs.

Assuming that you're rolling your eyes over the latter statement (and I know it's bad to assume, especially on here), then I have to take issue with that. I think it's extremely naive to believe that Iran has no stake in Iraq. I think it's rediculous to believe that Iran hasn't sent agents, fighters, weapons, bribes and more to Iraq since this conflict began. So although these British soldiers may not have been on a mission involving the infiltration of Iraq by enemy Iranian agents, it doesn't discount the fact that the problem of Iran sending in such personnnel and weaponry is a very real and dangerous threat.

No matter what, this is one person who will NEVER accept the notion, often made on here, that America/Britain are the bad guys and Iran is just a friendly and peaceful nation minding its own business.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
What was debunked was the CSIS biased study and released report, ArchAngel, not what Hellmutt is presenting. Furthermore, the CSIS study and released report mentions nothing of Iranian fighters and agents infiltrating into Iraq, again, as posted by Hellmutt.

They did not mention Iranians because there are so few of them.

They are included with the 'other' 5% of the foreigners captured in Iraq.

The idea masses of Iranians are crossing the border to attack Iraqis, or that the insugency is being run from outside Iraq is not reflected by the facts, only by the propaganda.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what it is that you're rolling your eyes at.

I was rolling my eyes because of the quote in the article. "Hazim Shalan, who left office last May amid a scandal over huge sums of missing money, claimed"...blahblahblah. Which doesn`t make him sound like a very credible person. However... No, I don`t think Iran is minding their own business. I do believe they are doing stuff in Iraq and have most likely done so since the very beginning of the war.

[edit on 2005/9/25 by Hellmutt]

join