It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Water flows over New Orleans levee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
With the approach of Hurricane Rita , once again New Orleans is facing further disaster. Heavy rains and strong winds have reached the city on friday , putting further strain on the allready weakened levees that protect this historic city. Hurricane Rita is due to make landfall likely between Galveston, Texas, and the Louisiana border , many miles from NO , and yet NO is likely to recieve 3-5 inches of rain and up to a 5 foot storm surge, work is intensifying to shore up the battered levees, and Mayor Nagin is confident that the levees will hold. But as Army Corps of Engineers spokesman Mitch Frazier said:

'It's a wait and see and hope for the best'

www.cnn.com
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Water washed over a levee in New Orleans' hard-hit 9th Ward on Friday as Hurricane Rita swept towards the region, the Army Corps of Engineers said.

Heavy rain and intensifying winds from the storm had reached the city Friday, threatening the city's already battered city levees.

Mayor Ray Nagin said Thursday that levees breached when Hurricane Katrina hit the city on August 29 have been shored up ahead of the new storm.

Workers have been bolstering the levees with sandbags and bringing in extra portable pumps.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can only pray that there is no one left is New Orleans , as it appears that the levee`s have had enough and are failing, these pour souls have been through enough. The levee system really needs upgrading , and considerable money spent on defences , if NO is to be rebulit ; and remember this is only the begining as the storm is still offshore. But it does show the power of Huge Hurricanes , as the storm itself is due to make landfall quite a distance away from NO , and yet NO is being hammered again. IMO , its only a matter of time till the entire levee system takes a knock it cannot get up from and fails completely. And that may come soon , when Rita makes landfall.

More news from www.Foxnews.com

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Harlequin]

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Harlequin]

[edit on 9/23/05 by FredT]

[edit on 9/25/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I wonder if anyother levee's will fail with Rita. Thank got its not making a direct hit But if the fringes of the storm are causing problems, the whole concept of a city below sea level needs to re-evaluated IMHO

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thank you Fred for all your advice on my first submission to ASTNN

I`m glad in a way the Mayor is confident , but the Army do not appear to be as hopeful.

We will know by Saturday as what happeneds , as that is when Rita is due to hit land.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It seems to me it's as well Rita came along and caused another evacuation of New Orleans - the levees were clearly not capable of withstanding any rainfall (it's not bee that heavy there)

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The Sheriff is now reporting they (Not sure who i.e. army Corp or whatever) plan to get boats in the water to shore up the levee they say was simply topped by water which is not the case. First TV pictures clearly show a breech and that is what they will attempt to fix if and when they can get crews on the scene.

The sheriff further stated that within 15 minutes the only way to get out of the area will be by boat since the water is rising fast.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yeah they need to get on with chopters dumping sandbags, and large chunks of concrete otherwise, that break may only get worse.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Yesterday in the news it was an area that was not reinforced by the metal planks, and only dirt the water was sipping from under the dirt, into the houses.

Today the area that is breached is not the same as yesterday this area they are showing in TV has metal planks.

So I wonder it is two difference areas they are talking here, one that has been breached from the top and the other one that is sipping through the dirt.

Anybody knows anything about this

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I do not know what the Corp of Enginners saying about about overtopping the ater. The picture on CNN makes it pretty clear its a break

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If your surprised rise your hand. Mine is down.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Its time to put a cap on NO's...........

Sure we need a port there so build the port infrastructure only.................then move inland high enough above sealevel where the land isn't sinking and start to rebuild NO there........

With the frequency and strength of the hurricanes predicted through the next 10 to 20 years it would be foolish to think the current city area of NO will ever be usable now or any time in the future.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
According to Fox News, they have confirmed three breaches. Not good at all.

Fox News

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by frogs453
According to Fox News, they have confirmed three breaches. Not good at all.

Fox News

Nah they are all lies the Army corps of engineers says it is only water topping the levees (NOT).

By the way another break has just occurred on the Eastern Edge also not good news. Yet again the Corps is saying it was just topped, sounds like a cover up to me

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Like I said one of the areas was already seeping water yesterday.

I remember the news guy from MSNBC talking about while will looking at the small seeping of wate but constant.

He said that the workers abandom the area to go and help with the biggest still weakest of the levees areas that were still been worked on.

The city will be under water again.

top topics

join