It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Milwaukee Background Checks Offend NAACP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Evacuees of Hurricane Katrina are getting more than food, water and a cot to sleep on when they arrive at Wisconsin State Fair Park. They are getting criminal background checks, a move that has infuriated the NAACP, whose president called it "very out of order" and degrading.

www.themilwaukeechannel.com
The Milwaukee chapter of the NAACP is angry that Hurricane Katrina evacuees are undergoing criminal background checks at State Fair Park.

Police and county officials say the criminal checks were done on about 200 evacuees to ensure everyone's safety. The majority of the evacuees are black.

Local NAACP president Jerry Ann Hamilton said the evacuees have already gone through enough. Milwaukee County Executive spokesman Rod McWilliams said it was a very cursory check to identify anyone with an outstanding felony warrant.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really ticks me off to no End. Once again the NAACP is playing a race card when there is absolutely no reason for it.

What the story fails to tell you is that the majority preferred background checks and had no objection what so ever about them. I wish one of the local TV stations had a clip of the interviews on local television so you could see it for yourself, but at this time there are none. If one becomes available I will post the link so you can see for yourself it is not the evacuees making an issue out of this it is the NAACP.

Out of the two hundred evacuees that arrived they had two that objected to the background checks and I will let you guess which the two were refused admission.

They did get shelter just not in the same area, one can only assume they had a history of Sex offenses, the local news did not give the exact reason so that is just speculation on my part.

Related News Links:
www.fox6milwaukee.com

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Ahhh... racial politics in Milwaukee. Now that brings back some interesting memories (I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee)! And the media reporting only half the story? Say it isn't so!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If they succeed in keeping sex offenders away from the general population, then that is reason enough.

They were given shelter elsewhere, so it's not like they were left out in the cold.

Besides, don't they need to identify themselves in order to receive monetary aid?

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
Ahhh... racial politics in Milwaukee. Now that brings back some interesting memories (I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee)! And the media reporting only half the story? Say it isn't so!

Yes that is the case the print media is giving only one half of the story while interviews of the actual evacuees are saying another story, each and everyone interviewed by local TV had no objections what so ever in fact they liked the fact it was being done and stated they felt much safer.

join