It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Search Tool for Dummies...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Ok, many have often wondered about the ATS search. While it can seem daunting at first, when properly used, it can be very useful. I know this exists here already in some form or another, but here's my spin on it....

This is what the search screen looks like:

We’ll go through each of the fields…keep in mind that EVERY field is optional. You only HAVE to put some criteria in the first field, the rest of the fields could be left blank or at the defaults if you wish. But, we’re going to go through them to help your search efforts.

This word or phrase must be returned

This is just like putting in a topic in a Google search, etc. Case does not matter in this field. Try to limit this to ONE word, unless you know a specific phrase (such as “New World Order”) will all be together in your search. If the word or phrase doesn’t give the right result, try accepted acronyms, like NWO, etc.

word/phrase [must be] (or must not be, in the drop down) returned:

Use this for additional search criteria. An example may be threads containing something about Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans. A search on New Orleans could turn up everything from desired threads to threads about the Saints game, etc. But, if you used “Katrina” in one field, and “New Orleans” in another, you’d get a better list of results.

Search in forum [All ATS, BTS, and PTS Forums]

The default is to look in ALL forums. If you have a pretty good idea what forum something would be in (such as “Lazar” would probably be in Aliens and UFOs), choosing a specific forum could give a faster response and list of posts.

From member name

If you know exactly who made a post you’re looking for, this is a very useful tool. You must type it EXACTLY as their username appears on the board (case sensitive, all dashes, underscores, etc.). If you aren’t sure, try and see if you see another post or thread by them to verify. Or check the “Who’s on?” or member list.

Search for matches in [thread POSTS only] (or thread SUBJECT lines only in the drop down)

Its usually a good idea to stick with the default on this one, unless you KNOW the title of the thread/post contains what you’re looking for. The POST option can take longer, but will generally find more of what you’re looking for. The SUBJECT option is more useful when you’re looking for a thread you saw recently, know the title vaguely, but may not recall the forum it’s in.

The downside to choosing POSTS versus SUBJECT, is that you’ll have multiple entries for the same thread (as it’s searching each post in the thread that mentions the criteria), so be aware of this.

Search through date range [3 months] (or last day, a week, a month, 6 months, last year, the beginning in the drop down menu)

3 months is a good default setting for this, but often I find that I’m using the search for somewhat older posts. 6 months is a good compromise and still gives results fairly quickly. Expect picking last year or the beginning, to take a bit for the results to come up.

Ok, so we’ve got our criteria in…now what? Well, this is the result page for just putting in “lazar”

You’ll see different headings here…

Thread topic / pages = This will tell you what general site its in (ATS, BTS, or PTS), and list the thread subject title, as well as the pages of the thread. Click on the subject if you want to go to the entire thread in general.

Post Author = This can be helpful for future searches too, if you choose to search by Author.

Post ID = If you want to go to the specific post of the thread, which contains your search criteria, click this number. This is the most expedient way to get to what you’re looking for, most of the time.

replies and views = This is simply to get an idea of how much activity a particular thread has. This might be helpful, if you know whether or not the thread you’re looking for was a biggie.

Last post = Is simply that, who posted last, and when. This may prove useful in finding the right entry, especially for a thread that pops up numerous times in the search.

I hope this proves at least a little bit helpful…and good searching!

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thanks for this.

When I read the title, I thought ATS was looking for dummies, so I came right away. But I was pleasantly surprised to find I'd misinterpreted the title.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I didn't even think about it being read THAT way!

It was asked for on another thread...hehe...

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Im with you Benevolent Heretic

I dont sound so smart in my posts as I do smart ellecky.

Its hard to be the sad man behind blue eyes

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Already have it incorporated in my greeting, it should be a big help for new and old members!

Search Monkeys, not just for finding it in the last place you looked anymore...

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So......

Search Monkeys, not just for finding it in the last place you looked anymore...

do search monkeys keep on searching after they have found what they were looking for??????

Sorry had to ask

Thanks for the tutorial there Gaz, I have added it to my book marks for future reference!

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
When I read the title, I thought ATS was looking for dummies, so I came right away.

Heh, me too. I was actually a little disappointed though when I found out ATS wasn't searching for me

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
No need to search for what you've already found....

Doh! Sorry, just couldn't resist it.....

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Apparently my mind wasn't clicking as quickly as my mouse, I thought this was an ATS search for Dummies.......duh? (I was going to volunteer if the freebies were right.)

Great information for dummies who want to search ATS though!

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
No need to search for what you've already found....

Is there a point handicap for those of us who qualify as dummies?

Wait...Let me try that again...

cAn eye got free poyntz fer be dum?

Lake ewe sayed, I coul'dnt not rezised

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I can never get the search engine to give reasonable results.

I type in my search:

Beale + papers.

and it returns with this:

Returning all posts.
Click on the PostID number to see just the single post, the thread title to view the entire thread, or the last post author for the last post.searching in post (threads/posts).
Thread topic / pages Post Author PostID replies views Last post
Your saved search URL is: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Perform another Boolean Search.

but when I click on that, I get nothing, the page refreshes to the same image. no listing.

so, do you have a tutorial for the blithering idiots???

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If you don't see a result, then nothing was found. You probably didn't change the default of last 3 months. I put it as last year, and got the following...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Can anyone please tell me how to post pictures (like those on the left) below your user name?

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Here's a thread by KingLizard entitled Avatar Instructions.
Hope this helps

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Gazrok - I get trough a hell lot of forums in my life (300+?), however I still need advice on how the search here, at ATS works. I want get all threads where I posted, mostly. Therefore I expected just enter my nick into the autor field and hit enter/click on the button...

This does the trick into every forums I ever used. Seems like ATS is a bit special or I missing something, but it return me ZERO results this way...???

Now I tough about wildcard. Like "*", but even this did not work, so, is there are any way, how to either enter a wildcard, or something that make the search return all threads, where I post?

new topics

top topics

join