It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Sending Money!! You may be very upset what its being spent on...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I sent money, everybody I know sent money. I WAS even thinking of sending more money, and I barely have enough to take care of my family.

But You will be sickened by what I just read here

HOUSTON -- Although thousands of evacuees are still in need of financial help, questions are being raised about how some of them are spending money on debit cards they received from the American Red Cross and Federal Emergency Management Agency, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Some employees at the Galleria said they saw storm victims using the debit cards to buy expensive gifts, like $250 bracelet, instead of on food or housing.

"I was upset because I donated money like a lot of people, and I think it should have just strictly been used for food and clothing and necessities … not luxury items that, I mean, I can't even afford," a Galleria employee, who asked to not be identified, told KPRC Local 2.

The Red Cross said it is aware of the problem but admitted that it cannot control where the money is spent.

I know not everybody is doing this, but some are, certainly enough for it to make the news and the Red CRoss to be aware of it. I bust my a$$ for every penny I earn and its just enough for me and my family. And I send it to help people and they use it to buy things that I cannot afford for myself? I am a little disgusted right now.

If you were thinking of sending money, you may want to think of alternate ways of donating as the Red Cross has it all fubar'd .

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
HAHAHA..

You should read the last post I made...

This is exactly what I was talking about.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
That's just about sickening. I hadn't donated anything yet because I'm extremely skeptical about the various "charitable" organizations like the Red Cross. It's bad enough hearing all the stories about the charities taking most of the money for themselves, now the individuals being helped by those organizations are acting no better?

I understand the whole bad apple concept, and I know that these instances are probably by far the minority of the group. But I think I'll let people just think I'm selfish instead of being late with my rent so someone else can get jewelry :down:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Wait a second, weren't the debit cards government funded? I thought that was seperate from where the donations went.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
sorry delete.

[edit on 9/14/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
In the end the honest people lose. The honest victims and the honest people who donate.

And we wonder why people arent always that charitable and keep to themselves so much....

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs
Wait a second, weren't the debit cards government funded? I thought that was seperate from where the donations went.

That pic from the article very clearly show a Red Cross logo on it.

And it hardly matters, the less people use that card for basic needs, the more the Red Cross and other charities and organizations will have to provide. Its all the same.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
See one mistake made was not specifying on what they were to spend the money.

The cards could have been made to only for the purchase of necessities.

Now who is at fault here.

People are like littler kids when you offer them candy from a bag, they always want more than the allowed quantities.

The cards should have been monitored.

But like everything in this nation we let the "People in Charge" do the thinking. Right?

[edit on 14-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Although I mostly agree with you on this Marge, we cannot overlook the publics responsibility here. After all, if they were using these cards as intended, we would all feel they were a great idea.

Sometimes we civilians need to be accountable for our actions.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
How does that employee know that it was a storm victim? It could have been one of the Red Cross or FEMA employees pilfering the cards.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You sent money and your good deed is done. Your Karma and your higher power knows you acted in good faith.

Its just a select few who always misdirect their funds, they'll always be around.
Just like the people who commit welfare fraud, etc.

Most of them ARE being helped by our donations.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I agree, stop sending them money. Send them food, water, clothes etc. instead. It's more likely that food/water/clothes etc. will be put to good use.

www.salvationarmy.org...
www.salvationarmyusa.org...
www.austinfoodbank.org...

BTW, I also read somewhere that many of the debt cards don't even work.

[edit on 14/9/2005 by SwearBear]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
how many are doing this???

not that many...

but, the ones that are doing it, are spending money like rappers...

mind the pun...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
That is exactly why I was going to send items instead of money. BUT GUESS WHAT. Through a church a friend of mine was packing up a semi to be taken down there and several people gave diapers. Great idea, only problem is that several of the packages that had thumb puncture marks in the outter packaging and were getting thrown away (litterally in the garbage). Call me stupid, but when these people are in such need I doubt if they care if the outter packaging of a pack of diapers has a thumb hole in it. I could understand if it was a food item or even something that leaked, but give me a break! I'm sure the person that donated the diapers really apprecaited that when the pack probably cost around $20.00 a pack. They pretty much litterally threw their money in the garbage and didn't even know it.

Even if you donate to a church for a certain cause does not meen that it will go where you intended. Several other people had donated tooth brushes. One of the packages was a double pack. Because the pack had two toothbrushes in them and they were getting packed with towels, wash cloths, etc... it was thrown in a different pile and sent to a foriegn country that the church often donated things to. Don't get me wrong, it is great that they are donating, but considering that these items were given specifically to go to the people who were effected by Katrina..... Well it just disgusts me.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by Kata]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is like the "shooting at helicopters" issue. A few bad apples are ruining the perception of the evacuees as a whole.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I agree koji_K. More people are probably being helped than are taking advantage. The people who are taking advantage of this are really only hurting themselves. If they are stupid enough to spend it on trivial things, they deserve to suffer the consequenses. They will have trouble getting food and other necessities in the future.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
There is always an element of waste and abuse in something like this and people willing to take advantage, but I agree that it's probably a small percentage and don't think people should stop giving. Hopefully the agencies will do something about this to minimize the chance of it happening going forward.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
What the red cross should have done is gone in with Albertson's, Ralph's, Wal-Mart and some other companies so that they could only spend the money on food, clothes, toys for kids and other everyday stuff.

Most people aren't dumb enough to spend what little they have on jewelry, i am sure it was only like 1 person so i guess that means all the black people should starve. We can rest assured that the people who need the money are using it wisely. If someone got one of those cards and is buying jewelry then i am sure they did not need the money so should not have gotten one in the first place.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Happens everywhere--a few game-players have to ruin it for everyone.

I'm still wondering why people were shooting at rescuers. That still doesn't make sense to me.

top topics

join