It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Much of Los Angeles Loses Power

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
BREAKING: Much of the City of Los Angeles is without power, no explanation given yet...story developing.

www.drudgereport.com
MUCH OF L.A. LOSES ELECTRICITY

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope this isn't a terror attack.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
upgraded to ALERT.

Officials don't know the cause, no explanation right now. Much of the city has gone power dark.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Uh oh.

LA is bad enough without a blackout. If it doesn't get repared before nightfall, there will be a riot, almost certainly.

It's not a sweltering day there either, it's pleasant, in the mid seventies.

I don't forsee any problems unless the power is not restored come nightfall. That's when people take advantage of the darkness to start crime sprees. Happens in most metropolitan areas when the lights go out at night.

If it's a terrorist attack, we should know that as soon as the outage is inspected. Probably inside an hour.

Good find.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Might be the geomagnetic storm we're havin right now, could have affected the grid out there, or it could just be a overload, which has happened it CA a number of times.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Might be the feds flicked the switch.

Outages reported from downtown to the San Fernando Valley. (Assc. Press)

[edit on 2005-9-12 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

yahoo

LOS ANGELES - A major portion of Los Angeles lost power Monday afternoon. Outages were reported from downtown to the San Fernando Valley.

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power did not immediately have an explanation for what happened.

No information on what happened yet.
Hopefully it's nothing major.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by AceOfBase]

link   
I can't even imagine how they're dealing with the traffic issues....As if it isn't bad enough already there....Yikes...

I wonder if this will be anything like the New York black out....

link   
According to CNN (TV), it appears to just be SOME traffic lights affected.

link   
It could be various reasons but what matters at the moment is what to do this instant ... this shouldn't be another terrible incident like the Katrina aftermath where citizens were made to fend for themselves.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Oh, geez! Where is Brownie when you need him?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is not good, that threat yesterday, now this, I think the worlds only super power wont be too good anymore, tragic.

I left ATS 2 month ago and the world goes to pot, last time I walk out on anything.

link   
DWP is claiming "Unknown problems at two Receiving Stations".

link   
Wasn't it yesterday or the day before that Al'Qaeda said they would attack LA and Melbourne? It's probably just co-incidence, but maybe not?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonke05

Dj and Nerdling are the official ATS fear mongers.

How did we get from almost complete blackout to a few traffic lights?

Peace

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Apparently the power cut out after two surges were detected.

Traffic lights are out, but so are office towers, according to ABC anyway. Large portions of the city without power is the headline running, if I remember correctly.

CNN is leaving a bad taste in my mouth these days, sour-like, gamey even, tastes like bias and flippancy.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Get Michael Brown on the phone, he could help with this...oh wait, he's fired. Who's the next available person...ah, Captain Planet. He could have prevented all this from happening...because afterall he's going to take pollution down to zero.

link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Wasn't it yesterday or the day before that Al'Qaeda said they would attack LA and Melbourne? It's probably just co-incidence, but maybe not?

I'm thinking that if it is related to the AQ threats that this is more likely to be a deversion then the actual attack. Nothing much spectacular about a brownout.

link   

Originally posted by jonke05

According to tha LA Sports radio show I'm listening to right now, it's much more than that. Alot of neighborhoods, schools, and the radio station that is broadcasting (they're running on their generator for now) are out.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
CNN is leaving a bad taste in my mouth these days, sour-like, gamey even, tastes like bias and flippancy.

WO - I have seen the same trends...unfortunately, it was the feed that was on in our NOC at the time...ah, well...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I really hope this isn't the start of another series of rolling power failures in California like happened a few years ago. It has been a good summer for them, it's odd it should happen so late and during a moderate day. At least they've got sunlight for quite a while, so things shouldn't be TOO hectic. Still, that many cars, that many people, that much area...

EDIT: I don't know about you guys, but CP has always been my hero, maybe now he can be ours.

[edit on 9/12/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join