It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I wanted to know if the new show "Over There" on the FX channel accurately depicts the Iraq war? Your opinions and thoughts

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I watch and do enjoy it, although i do find it slightly biased against american soldiers in iraq. but overall good show

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
It seems like it portrays the soldiers in both lights, so it seems decent. Not sure if it is completely accurate though.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
not to be mean here but that show is not even...its like something from hollywood like 007..i mean it sucks...that show is 110% not accurate..they made it look like a soap-opra....show is horrible..they dont show the real stuff that is going on and....i mean atleast they shouldv filmed it somewere els..the play looks like a country place..go to Arazona atleast.,..
ps:sorry for bad spelling

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Yea I agree that the show is not accurate. It portrays the characters as if they were a rat tag squad or somethin when all of our troops are professionally trained

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Yet to tell you the truth i still enjoy the show

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
As do i, im a fan of alot of tv war series, like tour of duty etc. I enjoy watching over there and BTW smoke didnt shoot that woman and her kid it was the terrorist, it showed it briefly, hard to catch.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Rikimaru]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

Little wonder then that "Over There," the first television dramatic series about a war in progress, is coming under fire, from people who served in Iraq, for getting the small things wrong. Television requires drama. Soldiers prefer precision. So when a group of grunts is shown clumped together on a berm making themselves a rich target or an improvised explosive device has a little flag on it, they tend to question the series as a whole.

Through the Web and various veterans groups, The New York Times contacted more than a dozen soldiers, all of whom had been on active duty in Iraq and have since returned. They had a variety of opinions on the war they served in, but were almost universally negative about the show that attempts to depict it. (A spokeswoman for the United States Army declined to comment on the series.)

We see sand, we see guns and we see people in helmets," said Benjamin Flanders, who served as a military police sergeant in 2004 and 2005 as a member of the New Hampshire National Guard in and around Baghdad. "But I don't think that it addresses the real issues of being a soldier or what is going on in Iraq."

Rowe Stayton, a former lawyer who volunteered for duty in the Army National Guard at age 50, said that the series had affected him even though, as a fire team leader in 2004, the war he experienced was a close-in, urban affair, not a battle fought out in vast expanses of the desert.

Much of what Mr. Bochco is taking hits over has to do with the generic requirements of television. To create storylines, he uses characters who scan to some people as clichés - the gung-ho all-American white kid who is maimed, the bitter dope-smoking black guy. And necessarily, action must be compressed, which does not reflect the grinding reality of real-time soldiering, a mix of weeks of boredom interrupted by occasional moments of terror. In blogs and interviews, soldiers suggested that the Army unit Mr. Bochco depicts saw more action in the first few episodes than they did in their entire tours.

well it looks like more soldiers who are veterans of the Iraq war would tell u that this movie is pretty much not the way it protrays the real life experience in Iraq. after all tv series or movies are being directed by people who have never experienced war so they dont know exactly how things work.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I like the show. What I don't get is why they have these 2 girls in this combat unit. I thought there were no girls in the forces placed in those kinds of units.
Not trying to be sexist at all. If I'm wrong about what they are allowed to do, then my bad. I just thought this was a big error???

join