It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current status of Oliver Hazard Perry frigates ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I heard something about the OHP class of frigates losing their Standard SAMs, is this true ? is the single missile launcher still in use, have they replace the empty racks with more SSMs or a different SAM ?

I can't find any links doing a Google, but if anyone knows what the current weaponry load out is I'd appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
the " ohp " class specs are here :

www.fas.org...

with specifics of its SAM system , here :

www.fas.org...

YRS - APE

[edit on 20-8-2005 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The perry class uses the SM-1 and won`t be getting SM-2

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Roger that - but I heard something about SM-1 being removed from the arsenal, so the ships would lose their air defence capability.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
As I understand it the Mk13 rail launchers are being removed from all the Perry FFG's in USN service. With the increasing numbers of Arleigh Burke DDG's entering service, the Navy decided the cost of maintaining the Perry's area AAW capability was no longer justifiable, especially as they are now mainly used for drug interdiction and patrol missions, where SM-1's and Harpoons are not much use.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
That clears it up - thanks !

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
navysite.de...

In 2003, the Navy started to remove the Mk-13 guided missile launchers from the remaining PERRY - class frigates. This action was designed to reduce the ships' operating cost but leaves the PERRYs without the ability to fire guided missiles. The Navy explained the decision with the age of the Mk-13 system and the system's ineffectivness against high-speed cruise missiles. The ships will receive an upgrade to the Phalanx system and a new missile decoy system to compensate the loss of their guided missile capabilities.

so , SM-1 cannot deal with ASCM`s very well at all - and its only the 12 CORT ships that are being upgraded.

www.news.navy.mil...

last shot from a fig-7 in 2003

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Interestingly, the Australians are refitting their Perry FFG's, replacing SM1's with SM2's in the Mk13 and adding an 8-cell Mk41 VLS with 32 "quad pack" ESSM Sea Sparrows, in addition to Harpoon 2's and major sensor upgrades, greatly increasing the ships' capabilities. Australia is looking at an Aegis AAW ship based on either the Spanish Alvaro De Bazan design or a somewhat smaller variant of the USN's Arleigh Burke class, but these ships will not enter service for perhaps a decade, hence the upgrades to the Perry's AAW systems.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sounds like the Australians are taking the Perry into a different league capability wise while the US is turning their Perrys into little more than coastal patrol vessels.

The US ships will be left with the 76mm gun, the Vulcan CIWS, the chopper and some torpedo tubes.

Sounds pretty useless to me. AAW will no doubt be limited to a couple of Stingers.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
Sounds like the Australians are taking the Perry into a different league capability wise while the US is turning their Perrys into little more than coastal patrol vessels.

The US ships will be left with the 76mm gun, the Vulcan CIWS, the chopper and some torpedo tubes.

Sounds pretty useless to me. AAW will no doubt be limited to a couple of Stingers.

No, the 76mm can also operate in a AAW mode.

The Perrys do get the CIWS 1B, which gives them a improved ability against low-level missiles and a anti-surface ability as well.

They still get deployed to the same places that they used to, so the Navy obviously still thinks that they are a valuable asset.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Isn’t the Perry class going to be retired soon and replaced with DD-21, Zumwalt class beginning in 08?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Yes , they are replacing both the Perry class and the Spruance class - up to 35 will be ordered , for deliveries starting in 2008 ; although being honest , i think the spruance will be replaced first

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Do we still have the Spruance in operational service ??

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
According to World Navies Today all but four of the Spruances are still in service. The Spruances, originally critcized for being under-armed, all now have 61-cell VLS launchers I believe. That's a lot of Tomahawks...

They are also still very capable ASW ships.

new topics

top topics

join