It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ode to my dead grandparents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
All this talk of war lately got me thinking about my grandfather who was a plane technician guy (for the canadian military)in the second world war.. He fixed the planes over in france, and his brother got shot down in Ariss France, and is currently buried there.

I want to share with you my grandparents who I love dearly and are both deceased?

My grandfather was a strong catholic and came to my mother in a dream the morning my grandmother died with a big smile on his face like you will see in these pictures. My mother got phone call after her dream from her brother saying mom died this morning. She knew everything was ok and didn't really mourn as much as she did when grandpa died.

My grandma's side of the family is rumoured to be connected with Abe Lincoln's family. Something about abe's brother created the line to where i'm at now. now directly from lincoln but his brother. Which is pretty cool to know that i'm related to a great man. Abe suffered from depression, my grandmother had depression and so does my mother. I haven't been diagnosed with it though.

So here are my pictures of my wonderful grandparents when they were alive and so in love.. I really miss them and hope you appreciate that happiness in these pictures as much as I have.

Moncton NB Canada

Stationed in France, his brother that got shot down is on the middle far left, and my grandpa in the one at the back in the middle.

My grandpa with his big smile

My great great granfather campbell is in the middle second one in on the left.

Again, Ruth and Owen (or ozzie)

Ruth and Owen in Quebec? That is my favorite picture of them...

Grandpa and his friend I think who got killed in the war?

Anyway there are more but I don't want to post all of them.
Hope you enjoyed the pictures as much as I did.. and still do.

So fellow members, this is part of me, and I hold them in very high esteem, and miss them terribly.

Thanks for lending me your eyeballs.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Great pics and thank you for sharing some of your memories with us,

It really brings home how much and how brave our elders where,

Again thanks for sharing part of your life story, and in doing so there memories live on,

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I love those old b&w pictures truelies, thanks for sharing part of your family with us. Your grandparents definitely seemed to be very much inlove in those pictures.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Aww....

TrueLies.....that's sweet of you to create for your grandparents, and I can indeed see how much very in love they were....it's so sweet how close they seem, and it's a beautiful memorial you made for them.

*Hugs*

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

A story that might send shivers up your spine...

Another weird phenomenon my grandfather experienced was that when he was in bed sleeping around 2:45 am he woke up because he heard his brother screaming for him. The next day, he was informed that his brother was shot down last night at 2:45 am...

My grandpa is in the top row in the middle, and his brother is in the second row, the one on the far left.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing that with us Truelies. It's nice to have a place here where we can share this sort of stuff with our fellow ATSers.
Seems like your grandparents were good people. Funny how it just seems like it was a better calliber of people who came before us.

I lost my grandfather this year. He was murdered by an intruder in his garage July 21st. Two days ago we found out who did it. I haven't heard yet, but God willing he was taken into custody somewhere around Fresno yesterday. That was the plan anyway.

My avatar at the moment is in memory of my grandpa. That TF in the top left was his brand.
He missed WWII by a couple of years, but I tell ya he'd have been one hell of a Marine. I never knew anybody so tough, or so upright. He tried like hell to talk me out of joining the corps because of his brother's experience there, but you should have seen the smile on his face when he first saw me in that uniform.

I've still got my grandma, and by the looks of things I will for quite a few years to come. Her mom (my great grandma) was a little Indian lady who was still cussin and spittin at everything that dared to cross her right up into her 80s.

So here's to the people that made us, in more ways than one. May we all live up to their legacy.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Just want to let you know something , your grandparents have COntagious Smilez!!!!! Thanx for letting us see the pics, I hope the apparrant good nature in those two runs in the familY

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I lost my grandfather this year. So here's to the people that made us, in more ways than one. May we all live up to their legacy.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, that is just awful to lose a loved one to someone as worthless of a human as that intruder was.
He will get his I'm sure of it.

My husband's father swore his heart out to his son's boss (after he took him to court over a bunch of lies trying to get money) that something terrible was going to happen to him, soon after, he got into a snow mobile accident (hit a tree) and died.. What a coincidence huh... Bad guys always (hopefully) get theirs.

Indeed I do believe the people before us were a better calliber, but I am believe with their wisdom and seeing how happy they were back then that I too can be just has happy and good a person as they were.

Our society is degenerating because of materialism, once we pull ourselves away or at least not take affulence as seriously as we all do, we could be better people like our grandparents.

thanks bornlazy,

I like to think it runs in the family, i've been told I have a contagious smile also.. .Although I do have my moments...
Yeah, those oneS LOL

[edit on 11-8-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Your grandparents sound like great people Truelies. My grandfather also passed away just recently...in December. He was also a great man. I considered starting a thread, but I decided not to for some reason. I don't think my mom would have liked it. He too was in the military, World War II. I was a Navy Pilot. He did a lot of great things, and actually became vice president of Pan Am airlines. He was also among the first few people (Maybe even THE First person) to test a few planes, such as the Beoing 747 and some super-sonic jet (I can't remember what it's called). He was famous for a little while. And actually, many people don't believe me when I tell them this, but he was among the first to be asked to go the moon. Unfotunately (God knows why!!) he declined. And the person who took his place? Neal Armstrong. He did a lot of other amazing things as well, but I'd have to look it all up.

Why does it seem like there aren't as many great people like our Grandparents anymore? And being related to Abe Lincoln!? That's awesome!

[edit on 12-8-2005 by Herman]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Thanks for your sympathy TrueLies.
For all I know the police have already taken him into custody- they didn't make their intentions clear when they went up to check him out.

I have always said that bad things happen to bad people. I have this funny feeling that one way or another it will hold true in this case, especially since it was my investigating which first yielded his name and address.

I trust however that I will not be needing that address for any "extralegal" action, since as of late the local cops have learned that there's very little in this world as persistent or annoying as a ticked off member of my family.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Update: My uncle wasn't in that picture, but I recently added his picture to the veteran affair's website in memory of him.

He died when he was only 20 in 1944...
He was a pilot officer in the royal canadian air force, 434 sqdrn.

I just think family is so important, and no good deed should go un noticed.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thanks so much for sharing those photo's.

like somebody said, they have contageous smiles!

what sacrifices our elders made for us.

I have a really great photo of my great grand father at his local cricket club from about 1912, hes sat on his brand new 'scott' motorbike with a sherlock homes style pipe in his mouth, behind him his the cricket squad and familys, all turned out in their sunday best with my grandad taking pride of place because he was the only person to own a motor vehicle of any description!

i'll scan it shortly and put it on here.

Many thanks for sharing your great photo's with us mate.

Regards.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
all turned out in their sunday best with my grandad taking pride of place because he was the only person to own a motor vehicle of any description!
i'll scan it shortly and put it on here.
Many thanks for sharing your great photo's with us mate.
Regards.

Sometimes I wish I lived back in those days, people were different then, please post your picture of your grandfather as I would like to see him.

Anybody else who wants to post pictures of their grandparents from way back then please feel free to do so, as I love old photo's and hearing stories from their time. It's a good way to remember them..

new topics

top topics

join