It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran resumes uranium conversion work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
There is not much on this yet, but it appears that Iran has told the world to jump off a cliff and started their nuclear work today. I wonder how long it will be before they strap a warhead on top of one of their new solid fuel rockets they just announced?

See you in downtown Tehran soon!

www.iranfocus.com...

"Reuters

ISFAHAN, Iran - Iran resumed uranium conversion on Monday at its facility near Isfahan, a move EU officials have warned will probably see its nuclear case sent to the U.N. Security Council for possible sanctions.

"The uranium conversion facility in Isfahan has started its activities under IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) supervision," Mohammad Saeedi, deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation, told reporters at the plant."

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
what i don't understand is that the IAEA(nuclear watchdog) is supporting them, but the US and EU want to take Iran to the UN security council

how can they be taken to the UN if the UN nuclear watchdog is supporting them?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There maybe more to this than the story tells..
Iran is also replacing the present Iranian negotiator on the nuclear talks.
Hassan Rouhani the present negotiator has been considered to be too weak for these talks. He will be replaced by Ali Larijani who is a hardliner who sharply criticised past negotiations with the western saying that such negotiations are against the best interests of Iran

Iran hardliner heads nuclear team

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Iran is a bad moon risin', that's for sure. Spitting in the face of the UN and now reports are in that Iranian bombs are being used by insurgents in Iraq. I predict they will be the next stop on the war on terror, and sooner rather than later.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by philaman01
Iran is a bad moon risin', that's for sure. Spitting in the face of the UN and now reports are in that Iranian bombs are being used by insurgents in Iraq. I predict they will be the next stop on the war on terror, and sooner rather than later.

Their definetly not playing with a full deck.

..ether their Crazy....or they got the Balls of a Lion....or their just plain stupid, Im not sure. Maybe they have an Ace in the hole we don't know about.......like a treaty with China.

Maximu§

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
what i don't understand is that the IAEA(nuclear watchdog) is supporting them, but the US and EU want to take Iran to the UN security council

how can they be taken to the UN if the UN nuclear watchdog is supporting them?

That's what I don't understand. As far as I know (and please feel free to correct me) they have the right to enrich uranium as long as its for peaceful civilian use. Under these circumstances is there anything the security council could do?

dom

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by philaman01

With all the chaos in Iraq right now I rather suspect that the US will not be attacking a country it knows would offer 10 times the resistance of Iraq. There's simply no point considering an attack on Iran. A surgical strike might be acceptable, but with medium range Iranian missiles ready to go Israel might find itself under attack. So the only potential strike on Iran would be a full-scale invasion, and the US simply doesn't have the manpower (or the will) to do that. It would be a lot worse than Iraq, and it would open up a 3rd front in the war on terror. It's just not going to happen IMHO...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

..ether their Crazy....or they got the Balls of a Lion....or their just plain stupid, Im not sure. Maybe they have an Ace in the hole we don't know about.......like a treaty with China.

Maximu§

I think the war in Iraq is their Ace in the hole.
It's the greatest thing to happen to Iran.
They know the US can't fight in Iran at the same time they're fighting an insurgency in Iraq. They also know how difficult it would be to get public support for a war in Iran after the Iraq fiasco.

dom

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

Maximu§

I think the war in Iraq is their Ace in the hole.
It's the greatest thing to happen to Iran.
They know the US can't fight in Iran at the same time they're fighting an insurgency in Iraq. They also know how difficult it would be to get public support for a war in Iran after the Iraq fiasco.

I agree completely with that. Iran knows it has relative safety unless it is directly implicated in an attack against the US. Iran can meddle in Iraq a fair amount as long as it's done subtly and there's nothing the US can do about it. Amusing really considering how much the CIA have meddled in conflicts around the world... they don't like it up 'em...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
For Uranium ore to be of any use in any kind of application, it needs to be refined/converted/depleted/enriched/shoved down a rabbit hole/milked from a goat/whatever.

If I'm not mistaken, the US itself recently stated it supports Iran if its Nuclear research is power and medical related, so why the heck wouldn't they be allowed to convert uranium ore to workable and usable Uranium compounds?

You read "uranium conversion" and you immediatly think their building a bomb ... remember ATS' moto "Deny Ignorance"?

top topics

join